How much are you willing to pay for used items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wf7850

Feb 3, 2005
I know how much an item is worth is between the seller and buyer. But as a buyer, if you come across this post where the seller had stated the following:

1. BOUGHT SIX MONTHS,
  2. MINT,
  3. EXCELLENT CONDITION,
  4. TACT SHARP,
  5. USED ONLY COUPLE OF TIMES OUTDOORS,
  6. NEVER DROP,
  7. ORIGINAL AS IN BUYING NEW FROM SHOP,
  8. WARRANTY - 6 + 3 mths
  9. ALWAYS IN DRY CABI WHEN NOT USED.

Wat will be your intended 'BUY PRICE'?

For me, the most I am willing to offer will be 70% of a new set. Becos anything higher, I might as well save myself the stress/headache and buy a new set from the store.

its very subjective thou...

in singapore... pple will want to LOSE as LITTLE as they can....

so... no choice also.. its still cheaper compared to shops selling 2nd. :bsmilie:

Depends -

Lenses - almost virgin lenses 80-85% if got at least a HMC filter

Camera - can be as low as 30-40% depending on age, shutter count etc.

I'm willing to go about 70%.... but again, depends on 'real life' condition. :think:

It also depend on the 2nd hand market value of the product, if it is mainstream original brand in high demand, may be upto 80%, in desperate need, even up to 90%. If 3rd party and not in demand, may be 60~70%.

Depends.. Kit lens or L/"Hidden L" lens?

I know how much an item is worth is between the seller and buyer. But as a buyer, if you come across this post where the seller had stated the following:

1. BOUGHT SIX MONTHS,
  2. MINT,
  3. EXCELLENT CONDITION,
  4. TACT SHARP,
  5. USED ONLY COUPLE OF TIMES OUTDOORS,
  6. NEVER DROP,
  7. ORIGINAL AS IN BUYING NEW FROM SHOP,
  8. WARRANTY - 6 + 3 mths
  9. ALWAYS IN DRY CABI WHEN NOT USED.

Wat will be your intended 'BUY PRICE'?

For me, the most I am willing to offer will be 70% of a new set. Becos anything higher, I might as well save myself the stress/headache and buy a new set from the store.

#4 should be "Tac" sharp. Not "Tact".
A Tac is a pointy piece of metal, hence its use as a term that denotes "sharpness". Tact is the skillful use of non-offensive language.

I refer to online resale sites to gauge for a good deal as well. Sites such as adorama and KEH, photo.net etc

Ryan

Last edited:
70% max from me. anything more, i'd be better off with a new one :)

Actually 70% of the items sold here are by 2nd or 3rd or even 4th owner. Only about 30% to 40% are really bought brand new and sold off here.

Question is if you were to buy an used item for 30% off new, 6 months down the road when you decided to sell... would you drop another 10% or 20%? It hardly happens in CS ;) Most items are sold exactly at the price or even higher than 6 months ago. How much you are willing to pay for a used item very subjective ;)

If a student were to ask for student discount saying just Sec 2 and blah blah blah... so you take off another $30.

2 weeks later, he would be selling here the very same item for $30-$50 dollars higher.

Personal experience ;) Not once, not twice, not thrice but many times.

Actually 70% of the items sold here are by 2nd or 3rd or even 4th owner. Only about 30% to 40% are really bought brand new and sold off here.....
that's precisely the point... buyer can only take watever the seller claims at face value. with all these considerations, hence y i feel 70% of a new set is the max i m willing to fork out for a used item.

anyway, from the response so far, seems highly unlikely anyone will be willing to fork out anything more than 80% of a new set. but if u give a quick glance thru B&S, there r plenty of WTS threads that r asking for such BNP. :dunno:

You're probably still new here... hang around long enough and you will start considering those selling at 80%-85% new price... if you're hoping for 70% of new price you can wait long long... unless the item being sold is 10 years then maybe it will sell for 65%-70% of the new price...

#4 should be "Tac" sharp. Not "Tact".
A Tac is a pointy piece of metal, hence its use as a term that denotes "sharpness". Tact is the skillful use of non-offensive language.

you mean "tack" not "tac"..

anyway i reckon what zcf said to be most agreeable with.

Last edited:
You're probably still new here...
haha.. true, 3.5 years here aint that long.... :bsmilie:

... if you're hoping for 70% of new price you can wait long long...
i dont HOPE for someone to sell me his used item at 70%, i just LOOK for someone that does. if cant find, jus buy new... no need wait long long.... above 80% for a used item? :blah:

need it, look for a used one, provided with substantial savings. else just buy it new. if can wait-long-long to get one, means you really dun need it anyway. :angel:

Interesting to read this thread and the opinions. I noticed that here in SG people are very keen to have brand-new items and second-hand is only an option if the budget dictates so.
In my home country (Germany) it is different. People don't really bother much about brand-new or not; as long as the item is working properly it's fine. There the question goes "Why spending 100% for an item if I can get the same for 80% or less?", thus resulting in a vibrant second-hand market with lots of people buying and selling stuffs (e.g. at eBay). And: nobody expects new items for 70% of the price. That would rather cause suspicion whether the item is a fake one.

I'll look around first for a rough gauge of the current market price, and if it's too high i look at other ads unless for reasons like newer etc

You're probably still new here... hang around long enough and you will start considering those selling at 80%-85% new price... if you're hoping for 70% of new price you can wait long long... unless the item being sold is 10 years then maybe it will sell for 65%-70% of the new price...

I feel the same. For instance, 17-40mm L is slightly above 1K from gray shops, and selling it at 70% means 700+. But the regular selling price is 800+ AND they sell at that price.
70-200 F/4 goes around 800, and brand new is around 1000+-.

Personally, I bought a 17-40 at 800, no warranty. I also bought a 2 years old 24-105 at 1200. I sold about 9 months old 10-22 with mint condition for 850, almost 85%. One guy did offer me something around 700 though, citing "30% depreciation".

I think I now know why there are so many WTBs for the same items that seem to sell for what looks like a regular and reasonable price. I'm curious as to whether many actually *buy* things other than relatively low-cost items or bodies, in the conditions TS mentioned, at 70%.

Last edited:
Actually 70% of the items sold here are by 2nd or 3rd or even 4th owner. Only about 30% to 40% are really bought brand new and sold off here.

Question is if you were to buy an used item for 30% off new, 6 months down the road when you decided to sell... would you drop another 10% or 20%? It hardly happens in CS ;) Most items are sold exactly at the price or even higher than 6 months ago. How much you are willing to pay for a used item very subjective ;)

If a student were to ask for student discount saying just Sec 2 and blah blah blah... so you take off another $30.

2 weeks later, he would be selling here the very same item for $30-$50 dollars higher.

Personal experience ;) Not once, not twice, not thrice but many times.

This is so very true. Another kind of experience is the owner sellin old models' cams( mayb 3 yrs or older) n claims cam seldom used...gd condition..v well taken care of and also tt cam is a hot reviewed model back den. I noe 3 yrs back even prosumers can easily cost more(at 1000+) den a entry level DSLR w kit lens today. However, prices of today's technology for cams have r much cheaper for new models at the same time w surpassed technology. So I do think old cam sellers should take note of tt and nt expect to fetch a price for their old cams at which I can easily top up to get a new current model.

Just my 2 cents of opinion and no offence to anyone :sweat:

If I'm not wrong, Nikon DSLR will reset the counter to 0 after 10,000 shots. Is it true??? I think I read it somewhere in Dpreview :dunno:

A lot of people here sell their Nikon said that 2 years or so camera with user marks but claim the shutter count just only 5000 or so, sometimes I feel it don't make any senses....:dunno: CMIIW

Status
Not open for further replies.