How many years are you into photography?

How many years of experience are you in photography?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Rangefinders: since the late 60s
With SLR's: since the mid 70s
With LF: Since 1982

started in sec 2.. but stopped after sec 4
then restarted last year :D

Originally posted by zhapchit
started in sec 2.. but stopped after sec 4
then restarted last year :D

Wah, that's similar to mine. I started B&W in Sec. 2, stopped for quite a long while when I got out of school, only shooting when I travel. Restarted in 2000 when I bought a Coolpix 950 in end 1999. :D

Regards
CK

using P&S counted?? i started to take a lot of photo since army days

for DC, it is only 4 mths for me....now my F707 counter is only 2500+

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Just like Fundee put it; excluding the days/time which I did not press the shutter-button of a loaded camera, I say...less than 1 week? ;) So practically still in the womb!
i just started to learn how to load the film......hey its fun...LOADING OF FILM.....:D

Film?
Whats that? :D

Btw, can anyone point me to something that is roughly a tutorial of what does 1xxmm zoom lens, blah blah mean? I keep referring to zoom as in times, eg 5X, but pros use a number millimeters? :)

Originally posted by Zoomer
Film?
Whats that? :D

Btw, can anyone point me to something that is roughly a tutorial of what does 1xxmm zoom lens, blah blah mean? I keep referring to zoom as in times, eg 5X, but pros use a number millimeters? :)

Zoom power in times, e.g. 5x is meaningless. It just means that the focal length at the longest end is 5 times the focal length of the shortest end. So, a 4x zoom can be 35-140mm or 100-400mm. 10x zoom can be like 35-350mm, 50-500mm, etc. No meaning at all. A 10x zoom does not mean it magnifies the subject 10 times.

Using focal length in millimeters makes much more sense.

Regards
CK

Likewise, don't read too much into how long someone has been into photography, just based on a number of years. A lot also depends on how productively that time has been spent.

Originally posted by Jed
Likewise, don't read too much into how long someone has been into photography, just based on a number of years. A lot also depends on how productively that time has been spent.

Right, for me, quite a bit of my years in photography is actually dormant. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Zoom power in times, e.g. 5x is meaningless. It just means that the focal length at the longest end is 5 times the focal length of the shortest end. So, a 4x zoom can be 35-140mm or 100-400mm. 10x zoom can be like 35-350mm, 50-500mm, etc. No meaning at all. A 10x zoom does not mean it magnifies the subject 10 times.

Using focal length in millimeters makes much more sense.

Regards
CK

So could you please teach me what does 35-140mm or 100-400mm mean?

35-140mm = 140/35 = 4 x zoom

100-400mm = 400/100 = 4 x zoom

so both also 4 x zoom but the 2nd one will have greater zoom range due to 400mm ...

so how many times is 14-140mm ?
10 x times ? :eek: wow ! .. but only 140mm max .. ha !

me only started since dec 2001 when i got me s40
think i dont make enough use of this quality cam

Hi Zoomer,

Those are the focal length of the lenses. A range like 100-400mm means a lens can change it's focal length continuously anywhere from 100mm to 400mm (and it's called a zoom lens). With a same object, the shorter focal length lenses will make the image looks smaller while the longer focal length lenses will make it looks larger. Lenses with shorter focal length will also allow more scene to be included in the picture (wider view angle, hence the name "wide angle lens"). The lens that reproduces what the human eyes see is around 50mm.

The above is just a very brief introduction. For more information please see this tutorial on nikon-image. Happy reading.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.