How Many To Keep??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobman

Deregistered
Oct 30, 2003
Jungle
www.monobeauty.com
Say you go for a photoshoot and you were given only 15mins to shoot. Out of this 15mins, how many shots do you think are keepers? And out of these keepers how many would you use for your portfolio?

15 mins. better don't shoot even if it is a paid job.

15 mins .... dont think i like this arrangement .... :sweat:

Bobman said:
Say you go for a photoshoot and you were given only 15mins to shoot. Out of this 15mins, how many shots do you think are keepers? And out of these keepers how many would you use for your portfolio?

If the photo shoot is free, I'll throw away all the shots.

If I have to pay for the photo shoot, I'll keep all of the shots. :)

Sion said:
If the photo shoot is free, I'll throw away all the shots.

If I have to pay for the photo shoot, I'll keep all of the shots. :)

How many of your keeps to show in your portfolio????

can many of those posted in this forum are the product of this 15 mins arrangement.

can those be portfolio

the number of 'keeper's are only known as much as you know yourself.
and if this isn't even your called shot.
none of them are keepers.

how about asking something else?

dDarkroom said:
can many of those posted in this forum are the product of this 15 mins arrangement.

can those be portfolio

k, so the answer is 15mins is a no go..... now we extend to 30 mins. How many will you think you can get say shoot with a group of 4-6 photographers????

tucker said:
the number of 'keeper's are only known as much as you know yourself.
and if this isn't even your called shot.
none of them are keepers.

how about asking something else?

ok, say u have 10 photos u considered as 'keepers' in u own eyes. how many would you put in ur portfolio??? 1, 2 or all?

count me out if pay to shoot

out of 10 you should guide him to select 3 as a series - 10 from the same model/makeup/stye is way too many

dDarkroom said:
count me out if pay to shoot

out of 10 you should guide him to select 3 as a series - 10 from the same model/makeup/stye is way too many

hmmm....noted. thanks :)

Bob,

I am going to assume that you are referring to the studio sessions you organise on a regular basis.

The number of keepers will depend on the photographer - how well he knows himself, his equipment , his ability (or lack of ability) to extract the poses and expressions from the model, the set up of the shoot and the standards he has set for himself (a keeper to others may not be a keeper to him).

Also one should get know a bit about the person they are photographing. Inexperienced studio photogs will not know how to establish rapport with the subject in such a short period of time. And it would be difficult to do so even if they do know, having to rival for the model/s attention with 3-5 other people in such a contrived situation.
Plus, some people are just plain shy.

Some people don't like others looking over their shoulder when they are "working" and may not be able to concentrate on the task at hand.

And some people also just take a longer time to do things especially when they don't really have very much experience.

Just my 2c.

Tetrode said:
Bob,

I am going to assume that you are referring to the studio sessions you organise on a regular basis.

The number of keepers will depend on the photographer - how well he knows himself, his equipment , his ability (or lack of ability) to extract the poses and expressions from the model, the set up of the shoot and the standards he has set for himself.

Also one should get know a bit about the person they are photographing. Inexperienced studio photogs will not know how to establish rapport with the subject in such a short period of time. And it would be difficult to do so even if they do know, having to rival for the model/s attention with 3-6 other people in such a contrived situation.
Plus, some people are just plain shy.

Some people don't like others looking over their shoulder when they are "working" and may not be able to concentrate on the task at hand.

And some people also just take a longer time to do things especially when they don't really have very much experience.

Just my 2c.

no i am not referring to any of the organised shoot. i m just ask in general. maybe 15mins is too short say 1 hr or 2. Say in the end of the photo session, u have captured 200 shots. Out of these 200 shots, many will u keep and how many will u put it up in ur website as portfolio but consider that u have other models as well......

Bobman said:
no i am not referring to any of the organised shoot. i m just ask in general. maybe 15mins is too short say 1 hr or 2. Say in the end of the photo session, u have captured 200 shots. Out of these 200 shots, many will u keep and how many will u put it up in ur website as portfolio but consider that u have other models as well......

It depends from session to session and from photographer to photographer. But, out of 200 shots I would be dissapointed if I personally didnt have around 20 good shots and 5 keepers to add to my portfolio.

15mins in the case of one to one on a single outfit in the studio is plenty of time :)

Provided there are photogs in front of me who have warmed up the model...

This is my amateur point of view. It is not how many, not quantity, but quality.:thumbsup:

If I can get one or two that I am very satisfied with, that is great for me liao.

And 15 minutes or for that matter, even 30 minutes is too short a time to work on. Should I say too stressful to work becos of the short time.

It also depends on the studio, the set-up, how fast can you get the lights, backdrop props set up, test a couple of shots and so forth.

And once again, I will rather go for quality, not quantity. And possibly some variety.;p

15mins per model? All warmup shots only. Not 1 keeper. Serious.

I thought u shld be experienced enuff to know?

jsbn said:
15mins per model? All warmup shots only. Not 1 keeper. Serious.

I thought u shld be experienced enuff to know?

I tot try to be a 15min photographer mah....aiyo, if i got experience i won't ask liao la...:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.