how many shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
Curious but was in sentosa island yesterday for leisure with a friend (and brought camera along, as usual). It was a cloudy day and thus the sky had a shady cast, with colourful clouds. Took around 20+ shots of a "sunset" (planning to fake it later in post processing, it was only 5pm). Off-loaded all pics into computer later at night, realize out of 20+ shots, only ONE can actually be used and worth keeping.

I usually get 1 worthy photo in around 5. So just curious. what about you guys? do you keep all your shots, or selectively? Do you post-process all of them? How many takes do you usually perform on a single subject?

Thanks

p/s: saw 2 guys with SLR-like cameras in Sentosa yesterday on a photo-spree (saw them shooting flowers near the beach as well), each carrying a camera bag as well. was it any of you from CS?

michhy said:
Curious but was in sentosa island yesterday for leisure with a friend (and brought camera along, as usual). It was a cloudy day and thus the sky had a shady cast, with colourful clouds. Took around 20+ shots of a "sunset" (planning to fake it later in post processing, it was only 5pm). Off-loaded all pics into computer later at night, realize out of 20+ shots, only ONE can actually be used and worth keeping.

I usually get 1 worthy photo in around 5. So just curious. what about you guys? do you keep all your shots, or selectively? Do you post-process all of them? How many takes do you usually perform on a single subject?

Thanks

better than mine... out of my 6k+ pics from my DSLR, none i keep... ;p i haven take that 1 pic i am looking for...

Maybe should start using film SLR so that ppl won't be shutter happy :bsmilie:

drumma said:
wah! 1 in 5 quite pro liao.. i also shot thousands.. and only like 5-6 of them.

EH, pls dont be sarcastic. I'm not that good. Just keeping the photos that I like. Nothing that worth selling or such! I'm just curious to see how each of you take photos...

If u can get 20% good photos, it is very good. I think on the average around 10%. Many factors come into play. It is nothing surprising if get 0% good photos.

All your hit rate so high ya.
Film i got 1 in 36
DSLR 9% only.

1 in 5 is 20% very good already.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
out of my 6k+ pics from my DSLR, none i keep... ;p i haven take that 1 pic i am looking for...

if you are serious, then maybe there's something wrong with your approach?
6k+ shots and not ONE you keep? :think:

i'm not being sarcastic. i'm serious. if ur hit rate is 20%, quite high and compared relatively actually. (perhaps u want to do a poll on other ppl's hit rate too.)
if u talk bout keeping shots, i do keep mine.
but talking bout shots which i seriously like, or shots which i consider nice at least, it's very little.
and yah, my photos are also worth nothing selling and such.

:)

Sometimes taking many shots is not just about machine gunning. In some fields like fashion, photographers may shoot up to 10 rolls and end up just choosing just 1 pic. Afterall, all the pics may be good, but sometimes good just ain't enough if you are picky about stuff. I find this especially true for portraiture expressions which are hard to grasp exactly.

Splutter said:
Sometimes taking many shots is not just about machine gunning. In some fields like fashion, photographers may shoot up to 10 rolls and end up just choosing just 1 pic. Afterall, all the pics may be good, but sometimes good just ain't enough if you are picky about stuff. I find this especially true for portraiture expressions which are hard to grasp exactly.

Oh I think that reminded me of something in the past.
Was choosing a photo for submission to a user group photo challenge. Cant really decide which "good" photo (my personal low criteria) to submit.... it can also get tough if you shot too many "good" photos! :sweatsm:

michhy said:
if you are serious, then maybe there's something wrong with your approach?
6k+ shots and not ONE you keep? :think:

Actually it was Ansel Adams who said that your pictures only begin to make sense after more than 10,000 exposures!

Paul_Yeo said:
curious, what do you all do with non-keepers pic? delete them?

yup. I just delete them, unless I have no other shot of the scene/subject, and i utterly must have a shot of it, i'll compromise and keep it anyway ;p

student said:
Actually it was Ansel Adams who said that your pictures only begin to make sense after more than 10,000 exposures!

i dont think many of us even listens to everything our teachers or parents tells us, lol :embrass: but thanks for the point to ponder

Status
Not open for further replies.