how many shots can a normal alkerline batt take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconova

Apr 19, 2004
need to plan my overseas trip, wondering how many batt to take?

IMO this is a strange question. As it will depend on the camera and also if flash is used and if lcd is used and if how long you review your shots on the cam. If it is using AA standard battries than it should not be a problem as it is easily available anywhere. Don't mean to sound offensive.:)

reconova said:
need to plan my overseas trip, wondering how many batt to take?

depends on your camera. I ever had a camera that lasts less than 20 shots with a set of 2 alkalines.

This is true with my old camera which is a Minolta Dimage 7i. Power hungry.

Alkaline batteries have very high internal resistance, and are not suited for high drain applications like digital cameras. You will find that they will take not more than 10-20 shots before conking out. They are more suited for low drain applications such as radios and alarm clocks.

The ideal types of batteries for digital cameras are rechargeable NiMH or lithium-ion batteries, which have a low internal resistance and can therefore continue delivering high-drain power for much longer.

If you are going to a place where you cannot recharge the batteries (ie no power supply) a good alternative to consider would be Lithium AA cells (note - these are NOT lithium-ion batteries and are NOT rechargeable). They are light and last very very long. They are also pretty costly, about 8-10 bucks EACH. A bit hard to find also, but Cold Storage carries them I think.

yes i think cold storage has them,, they are blue and silver and say photo-lithium on them

StreetShooter said:
Alkaline batteries have very high internal resistance, and are not suited for high drain applications like digital cameras. You will find that they will take not more than 10-20 shots before conking out. They are more suited for low drain applications such as radios and alarm clocks.

The ideal types of batteries for digital cameras are rechargeable NiMH or lithium-ion batteries, which have a low internal resistance and can therefore continue delivering high-drain power for much longer.

If you are going to a place where you cannot recharge the batteries (ie no power supply) a good alternative to consider would be Lithium AA cells (note - these are NOT lithium-ion batteries and are NOT rechargeable). They are light and last very very long. They are also pretty costly, about 8-10 bucks EACH. A bit hard to find also, but Cold Storage carries them I think.

ok thank you.
just buy camera lah, still trying to decide if i should buy a charger. so meanwhile will be using normal batt.

mpenza said:
depends on your camera. I ever had a camera that lasts less than 20 shots with a set of 2 alkalines.

The older generation digicams consumed power like crazy and, like what you mentioned, a set of alkaline will give you only a few shots. Most of the digicams today are more frugal on power consumption and even the alkaline will give you enough shots before you can throw them away. My Canon A75 gives me about close to 200 shots with a set of 4 alkaline batteries with viewing of the LCD in between. Of course, the figure will differ with different brand and model. Even then it is still advisable to invest in a set of NiMh rechargeable batteries as in the long run it's cheaper than relying totally on alkaline batteries. The main advantage of AA batteries is you won't get caught with your pants down in say Disneyland when you run out of juice. AA batteries is widely available and a set of alkaline will see you thru' the rest of your day.

reconova said:
ok thank you.
just buy camera lah, still trying to decide if i should buy a charger. so meanwhile will be using normal batt.

actually it is not a matter of deciding to buy or not... it is better you get it, it will save you alot in long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.