How many shots can a DSLR's shutter last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
Just curious. 100,000?

Hope it's more than that as I have definitely hit that amount already.

Different models have different shutter life cycles. The entry level ones are usually less than 50K, prosumer ones up to 100K and pro ones as much as 300K.

Errr... does that mean the camera can't be used after that? Pardon my ignorance.

it is about 200 - 300 dollars for most models

If the shutter breaks down after too many shots, will any broken parts fly off and damage the lens?

Anyone with shutter breakind down experience?

nothing will come out. for nikon i think the lcd would show -E- . the shutter might still take pictures but with some unknown streaks. or it couldnt even take.

The figures that are given by the manufacturers for their shutter life is an estimated figure. Something along the lines of Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF).

Some cameras will last longer. Some will last shorter. Depends on the camera and the usage of the camera.. I doubt if the shutter will spectacularly explode when its time is up, taking the rest of the camera along with it :bsmilie: mostly, you'll get some sort of error message and then the best thing to do is to send it in to the service centre and let them sort it out for you.

nothing will come out. for nikon i think the lcd would show -E- . the shutter might still take pictures but with some unknown streaks. or it couldnt even take.

K thanks! :)

The figures that are given by the manufacturers for their shutter life is an estimated figure. Something along the lines of Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF).

Some cameras will last longer. Some will last shorter. Depends on the camera and the usage of the camera.. I doubt if the shutter will spectacularly explode when its time is up, taking the rest of the camera along with it :bsmilie: mostly, you'll get some sort of error message and then the best thing to do is to send it in to the service centre and let them sort it out for you.

erm... thanks for the info as never knew abt the shuttle life thing...

The values given are just an average estimate after they have shutters firing continously in their labs. Life of the shutter is dependant on usage conditions etc... Depends on how lucky you are. Some die after a couple hundred shots, some outlive the shutter estimate.

The values given are just an average estimate after they have shutters firing continously in their labs. Life of the shutter is dependant on usage conditions etc... Depends on how lucky you are. Some die after a couple hundred shots, some outlive the shutter estimate.

D100 hit 900k

anybody here have stress tested the D200? :)

if so, please share. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.