how many SD cards is enough?

kwwh7

Jun 9, 2012
Singapore
hi to all..new to CS..duno if there is similar thread regarding this..if have im sorry..

I am going to US come june for bout 2 weeks. The problem is i do not know how much SD cards to bring and how many GB each. No need to elite writing speed but must be acceptable. I have ruled out bringing laptop cos is very inconvenient. Is there any other way to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance for the pros here.. cheers:)

hi to all..new to CS..duno if there is similar thread regarding this..if have im sorry..

I am going to US come june for bout 2 weeks. The problem is i do not know how much SD cards to bring and how many GB each. No need to elite writing speed but must be acceptable. I have ruled out bringing laptop cos is very inconvenient. Is there any other way to solve this issue?

Depends on how many pictures you take when traveling. How should we know how snap happy you are? Some people see a monument and take 2-3 pictures. Some take 20. Some shoot JPEG only, some shoot RAW. Some use a 12mp camera, some use a 36mp camera.

Nobody can do the math except you. You know your own shooting habits, your average file size, how long you ate traveling and what you will be shooting.

Just bring more than you think you'll need.

That will depend on your shooting habits. No fixed rule on how much memory to bring along... But If you are the machine gun RAW shooter type, 50gb also not enough.

But, personally I went for about the same duration.... I brought along 2x 16gb, 1x 8gb. About ~1300 raws + 500-600 jpegs (with space left for another many hundreds jpegs). The 8gb is reserved for JPEGs when my 2x16gb runs out.

*That said, if you do delete pictures from your camera, you shouldn't have problems with 2x16gb... Cos, after deleting those super cmi shots, I left with < 5gb worth of shots :sweat: :bsmilie: *

Hello and welcome to CS

For me I always carry 3 8GB cards & a 2GB card. Usually I don't spent all 4 cards but it's just to play safe just in case some cards fail. And I also don't keep all my eggs in one basket.

Again it depends on whether you shoot in RAW or not & also do you delete immediately those shots that you think can't make it on your preview.

Enjoy your trip :)

not a pro here . i am a cat

but SD Cards are relatively cheap

Airfare to USA is high 3 digit to 4 digit cost. Relative to airfare, your cards take a very small percentage even if you buy many (like 20 units!)

Just buy a few more SD cards , $10~$20 each , or less, at Best Bargain.

No need worry so much. Got spare, also won't be costing you too much. $5 for 4Gig (or more? i am outdated) . $5 can barely buy Happy Meal here.

Personally, I prefer to use 1 SD card per day for each day travel.

It helps me to organize the files later.

So for 2 weeks = 14 days = 14 SD cards.

I use 4 GB size SD card and after travel I transfer the files to DVD.

most of the time i will be shooting raw..i wont be like machine gun spamming photos at every thing..just a few shots for everything nia..

if i use a micro sd card with micro sd adaptor into my 600D..will it affect my camera functionality? cos last time i did the same thing to canon ixus camera and when i on it..the camera immed spoil.. and also micro sd writing speed is too slow right?

Well... I have three 8GB CF cards and two 16GB CF cards... and frankly speaking... for 1 week in Australia, I have not even used up 1 16GB card... so if it was me, I will at the most use 1 16GB card and 1 8GB card.

But like someone pointed out, SD cards are relatively cheap, just buy more... Remember, memory ain't cheap and you might not be able to get the same shot or shots you wanted even when you went over again :)

if i were you, i would bring about 5-6 16GB SD cards. then, using a marker, ill number them 1 to 6. when i use the cards, ill use them in order so i can import photos easier. can have more, cannot have less.

secondly, i would only use 1 camera. this ensures all my cards are formatted to that camera and enable me to use it without any worry.

thirdly, get a waterproof and shockproof memory card case to store the cards since you are not going to have any back up. dont lose it!

NOTE: if you really worry, buy extra cards and leave them in their packaging. only open when you need to use them. if you have unused ones after the trip, sell on the BnS section for a few bucks cheaper. losing a few bucks is worth it for making sure u have enough memory.
HAVE FUN!

most of the time i will be shooting raw..i wont be like machine gun spamming photos at every thing..just a few shots for everything nia..

if i use a micro sd card with micro sd adaptor into my 600D..will it affect my camera functionality? cos last time i did the same thing to canon ixus camera and when i on it..the camera immed spoil.. and also micro sd writing speed is too slow right?

I did that before in a cheap attempt to send up my Jpg to FB via mobile data. It works well. But depends on what phone you are using.

I am using Android phone ... no issue of camera functionality (EOS 500D)

1. Never filled a 32GB card before during my travel which sometimes can be a month long. Even if I do, my laptop always accompanies me wherever I travel.

Instead of many cards, I recommend bringing a media storage backup device (those that allows you to plug ur card to the device and backup your image content). If you need a recommendation, you can pm me.

If a normal laptop is not convenient, then bring a netbook instead.

Why worry, bring what you have. It is not that you are going to a very backward location where get IT stuff is difficult. You are going USA and these cards are cheaper to get there if you run out of memory.

I use CF card and not SD. Every picture takes up about 30MB. In one busy day, I can easily shoot 16+GB worth of pictures. However, I have the habit of shooting important scenes 2-3 times and that means about 30-40% of those pictures are repeats and can be deleted if I were to find an hour and two to sit down and sort things through.

It is really hard to say exactly how much memory you need. It differs greatly from person to person depending on camera models, equipment available(as mentioned above, laptops, some form of media storage devices) and personal habit/experiences.

In most cases i just carry 1.
Because i know its more than enough. But to be safe. 2 might be a better choice.

like many have mention..nobody can advise how many u need. Since different Megapixel camera..file size differs. and the format you shoot in as well. Some take Jpeg only. Some take Raw only. Some take both. :bsmilie:

I am going to US come june for bout 2 weeks. The problem is i do not know how much SD cards to bring and how many GB each.

Depends entirely on how trigger happy you are and how many MP your cameras are plus whether you shoot RAW or not.

My recent 2 weeks trip I brought 128GB+64GB+32GB+16GB+8GB for 5 cameras and even with several thousands photos (jpegs) I found I have more than triple the capacity that I need. So a 64GB should be max.

how many is enough is quite subjective. but then you can just get one off the shelf in US or Amazon.com at a relatively cheap discounted price even compared to here if you do run outta space.

Personally I always carry a Pelican case with 2x 32GB, 3x 16GB, 2x 8GB, 1x 2GB. Overkill some people say.

Also TS, what is your back-up strategy as it is going to be 2 weeks?