How many of you shoot in raw most of the time?


Status
Not open for further replies.

kensh09

New Member
Feb 1, 2005
299
0
0
#1
raw very good for post editing. How many shoot a lot in raw format?
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#2
Dangerous... accidents can happen... :bsmilie:

Anyway, when I had my D100 and D70, I shoot in RAW format exclusively only. Even if travelling.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#5
fatjp said:
Agree, i shoot in RAW almost 90% unless really no more memory.
Memory is cheap, can always buy portable storage :devil:
 

Andy Ho

New Member
Jan 10, 2003
389
0
0
Punggol
#6
I think shooting in RAW is not only about memory usage. It is about whether you have the time to do post processing. Many photographers forgot the fact that it takes a lot longer to process a RAW file than Jpeg files. Although I shoot RAW most of the time, I still switch back to Jpeg whenever I know that there is going to be a lot of pictures at the end of the day, for example an event or conference shoots.

If you are not confident in shooting Jpeg only then another alternative is to set your camera to shoot both RAW and Jpegs simultaneously. If the Jpeg is ok then trash the RAW. If not, you still have something to fall back on.
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#8
Andy Ho said:
I think shooting in RAW is not only about memory usage. It is about whether you have the time to do post processing. Many photographers forgot the fact that it takes a lot longer to process a RAW file than Jpeg files. Although I shoot RAW most of the time, I still switch back to Jpeg whenever I know that there is going to be a lot of pictures at the end of the day, for example an event or conference shoots.

If you are not confident in shooting Jpeg only then another alternative is to set your camera to shoot both RAW and Jpegs simultaneously. If the Jpeg is ok then trash the RAW. If not, you still have something to fall back on.
Actually, would it be better to shoot in RAW only, if really need to process in JPEG, then use Nikon Capture Editor to batch convert to JPEG, my estimate is about 5-10sec for each JPEG conversion.
 

Andy Ho

New Member
Jan 10, 2003
389
0
0
Punggol
#9
Astin said:
Actually, would it be better to shoot in RAW only, if really need to process in JPEG, then use Nikon Capture Editor to batch convert to JPEG, my estimate is about 5-10sec for each JPEG conversion.
That is what I do but like me, if you are using D2X, you would probably be cursing and swearing if you have like 300 files in a day on NEF to convert to Jpegs :)
 

Andy Ho

New Member
Jan 10, 2003
389
0
0
Punggol
#10
speedblade said:
or with the 20D, black and white JPEG and "colour" RAW together. :)
And why would you want to shoot in B&W jpegs? :dunno:
 

7 bu'a

New Member
Sep 8, 2005
19
0
0
#11
I shoot RAW 99% of time, the rest 1% is RAW+JPEG ;) when i must immediately give someone those pics. I shoot RAW mainly because of freedom in manipulation and feeling free about WB:thumbsup:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#12
Andy Ho said:
That is what I do but like me, if you are using D2X, you would probably be cursing and swearing if you have like 300 files in a day on NEF to convert to Jpegs :)
Been there, done that, have tried 700 files in a day. I'm still alive :D
 

madmacs

Senior Member
Dec 13, 2002
5,456
0
36
madmacs.multiply.com
#13
i almost always shoot raw. processing hundreds of files? time-consuming yes but the key to minimizing this is automation. 300 files probably takes my mac a couple of hours to batch process and convert to jpg. and i can still surf and email while this goes on. :)
 

Andy Ho

New Member
Jan 10, 2003
389
0
0
Punggol
#15
madmacs said:
i almost always shoot raw. processing hundreds of files? time-consuming yes but the key to minimizing this is automation. 300 files probably takes my mac a couple of hours to batch process and convert to jpg. and i can still surf and email while this goes on. :)
Hey you can do that? I mean I am not good with computers although I can use them well but I dare not do any other things when doing batch processing fearing that it will cause my system to crash or interrupt the conversion process. Should try. Thanks for the pointers :thumbsup:
 

madmacs

Senior Member
Dec 13, 2002
5,456
0
36
madmacs.multiply.com
#17
Andy Ho said:
Hey you can do that? I mean I am not good with computers although I can use them well but I dare not do any other things when doing batch processing fearing that it will cause my system to crash or interrupt the conversion process. Should try. Thanks for the pointers :thumbsup:
hehe...the joys of dual proc :lovegrin:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom