how many of you Professionals out there are using Professional camera bodies?

What kind of bodies you as a Professional Photographer use?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
Yea yea I know. Photography is never about equipment and i shouldn't be an equipment whore.

But just curious, how many professionals here actually use top of the line pro bodies? And, why ? (is it because of faster AF speeds? or reliability? or even just to "look" pro?)

to me, the definition of being a professional, would be the ability to charge market rates when it comes to photographing assignments. Typically, anything more then $80/hr (for events/weddings shoots) should be considering professional enough.

Personally, I own 2 bodies, one prosumer body and one low end body. Felt that it's really more then enough for most assignments that i take. Of course, i'm not really a professional yet...

come come, share your thoughts :D

edit: you can choose multiple votes!

To me, being a Professional Photographer simply means you are doing it full time as a job, your bread & butter. And its not about just charging like $80/hr (or so) for assignments.

Eh... Professionals dun need to really look pro right? cos they are already Pro.

Hehe. sorry I'm not Pro and I only use Canon 400D and a Sony PNS and a Nokia Camera Phone.

I know some Clubsnappers with really pro equipments. :thumbsup:

err, even at $100/hr, you'll only take home $1200 at the end of a 12 hour day. Assuming you do 6 full day shoots a month, subtract cost of studio rental, equipment depreciation, daily operating expenses and variable overheads and you'd be professional photographer cum semi professional tissue seller along orchard road.

err, even at $100/hr, .... and you'd be professional photographer cum semi professional tissue seller along orchard road.

:bigeyes:

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

I think pros are more likely to use a camera that's as cheap as possible. In $ sense, a pro would want to maximise profits and use whatever that gets the job done.

just to clear some things up:

To me, being a Professional Photographer simply means you are doing it full time as a job, your bread & butter. And its not about just charging like $80/hr (or so) for assignments.

Well, if someone were to do fulltime freelancing (without studio and all those monthly overheads), doing $80/hr jobs on the average like 5 times a month, with 8 hours a day, that's $3200 a month! all this could be done considering that you might not have a degree, you could be a fresh grad from uni/poly! (with correct contacts in life that is)

and of course, this is just using the $80/hr as a ball park figure. you could be well commanding a higher rate if you're doing product shots and have a knack at it...

but well, i might just be a little naive on this part... let me know the realities in life..

doesn't matter what camera a pro uses as long as the client is ok with the final outcome.

why worry?

Well I’m asking, ironically, because every time you hear an advertisement (be it from Canon, Nikon, Olympus or whatever brand it is), their top end machines seems to be "built to order" for really professional professionals.

Just yesterday, I’ve went over to a camera shop down in town, and the shopkeeper was telling me the funny part of his business. Almost all those top end cameras / lenses are sold to young chaps below 25 years old on the average. Serious hobbyists to factually correct!

So whatever happened to the features and selling points of these top end machines? Things like insane 45 point fast AF, insane 100k shutter count reliability, insanely tough hard alloy shell, insanely whopping full framers, insanely fast 10fps bursts and the list goes on...

i guess this threat is more of a self questioning thread. do professionals REALLY use professional equipments?

---

Let me relate to you what i feel personally. i might get it wrong, but honestly, upon reaching a certain point in technical aspects, cameras are more or less equal unless you need specifically the functionalities of a pro body. Things like full frame might be something that pros certainly need and might cripple their course of work if there're not using one. but hypothetically (and might jolly well be this case in the not too distant future), what if a full frame sensor comes into a cheap plasticy low end SLR body with say 2fps and probably 5 AF point? Poise this question and scenario to yourself, replace it with a function that you need and you'll be crippled without - but keep everything else spec-ed like a cheapo camera.

Or even better, come forward and tell us how your cheap cameras made you who you are today - totally without the advanced features from a top end machine.

No, I’m not trying to diss and hate top end camera owners, but is there more then that "feel good" and "confident" image you have when you're holding it? How about one day if your top end workhouse dies and your next best hope of completing that assignment was a plastic 300D? (hey 300D's good k? i won a competition using that in the era of 10fps/10mp/ISO6400)

let's talk about your views =)

IMHO,

It's not what you think about your gear that matters.

It's what the paying customer thinks that matters.

Especially nowadays when DSLRs are getting more affordable, any Joe could own one. And when the client him/herself thinks he/she knows a bit of photography, they would definitely want to know what camera you're using. Even singaporebrides.com has a section on "how to choose a wedding day photographer" and in it, one of the things they recommend is for people to find out what camera the photographer would be using. We know that it's the person behind the lens that matters, but for most everybody else, it's almost always the case where the bigger the camera is, the better you must be!

Think about it: If you were paying money, no matter how much/little, for a photographer who comes along with a digicompact, maybe even a good one like Ricoh GR-Digital or Canon G9 to cover your corporate event or wedding, how would you feel? In any business, presentation is a major factor so how "pro" you look would have to be as important as your skill and technical specs of your gear.

(That said, I know of a full-time wedding photographer who uses a Nikon D40 + kit lens as his main workhorse.)

And FWIW, I'm not a pro, so I'm not qualified to participate in the poll. I'm a wannabe. A moonlighter, so what I'm saying is merely personal opinion.

haiyo, nowadays got little boys and girls with mark dIII

then got old lao jiao damn zai pro photographer with d80 only

is it important? :D

my uncle is in the biz for 20 over years and he is now using the same camera as me. so i think i am a pro too. :D

Yea yea I know. Photography is never about equipment and i shouldn't be an equipment whore.

But just curious, how many professionals here actually use top of the line pro bodies? And, why ? (is it because of faster AF speeds? or reliability? or even just to "look" pro?)

to me, the definition of being a professional, would be the ability to charge market rates when it comes to photographing assignments. Typically, anything more then $80/hr (for events/weddings shoots) should be considering professional enough.

Personally, I own 2 bodies, one prosumer body and one low end body. Felt that it's really more then enough for most assignments that i take. Of course, i'm not really a professional yet...

come come, share your thoughts :D

edit: you can choose multiple votes!
I think most of the time it's about image. Some corpcomm officers themselves are probably graphic designers and would probably know a bit on photography and would expect you to use a more 'pro' camera to do the shoot. They want to see big big flash also. So sometimes it's not just about your skills, your creative juices and your experience. It's what the client expects of your equipment.

Previously:
Professional dun use very high-end equipment..they use very top quality film, photo lab and photo paper.

Now:
Professional still dun use very hig-end equipment..they use very high-end photo editing software, and top quality photo lab and photo paper.

But then sometimes customers seek for professional that uses high-end equipment..its like people pursuing of branded goods; and not all branded goods are useful other than being pricey..:bsmilie:

I know a pro who had been using 20D for years and still producing wonderful pictures that make big bucks. His friends had been persuading him to change to high-end camera, he is reluctant. The remark he gave "Not justifiable". :)

make them progressional photographers then :) already very zai just still holding on to what they think is best for them :)

can deliver goods can le :thumbsup:

my uncle is in the biz for 20 over years and he is now using the same camera as me. so i think i am a pro too.
I like ur style :thumbsup:

make them progressional photographers then already very zai just still holding on to what they think is best for them can deliver goods can le

go for pro-camera if u r rich
semi-pro if u are a weekend shooter

the question is what u intend to shoot?
alot of ppl shoot model/portrait, you think they need a pro-camera? what they need is editing software.
get a camera which suit what u intend to shoot.

somehow i think pro-camera is more meaningful for sport photography....
how often u need 10/fps?:sweat:

yah... alot of youngster own pro-camera, f/2.8 lenses, but how many of them produce good photos :sweatsm: at the end still it is photoshop :rolleyes:
i know some can produce good photos :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.