How many of you own a Mamiya 7 or 7ii

Which Mamiya 7 camera do you own?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from HK and shoot a number of rolls with the M7 II. The nice part of it being RF is that I can do street shots @ 1/30 or 1/60 and w/o handshake. Try doing 1/30 on a RZ or RB at that speed...

There are lotsa hidden cost in MF. After acquiring the extra film/polaroid back + grip + AF prism + batt pack, etc, the bill can easily double the cost of the basic kit of cam + lenses + film back.

Digital backs now costs as much as DSLR in the days when they first launched. Like DSLRs, I'm sure that the prices of the digital back will eventually be able to meet the price of DSLRs now. In the meantime, I'll stick to film for MF :D

Guys, thanks for the all advice. I've finally bought a 7ii over the weekend and 65mm lens.

I shot a test roll last week, and boy it was sharp and crisp. I like the fact that the built meter was pretty accurate as well. At least to my standard.

Looking forward to taking more great shots.

Maybe we should organise an outing for 7 and 7ii owners to share our experiences and shots. What you guys think?

Enjoy ur new camera~!nice combo for landscape and street.
one thing to take note is when shooting vertical,it is quite hard to judge thru the RF vs SLR to get it perpendicular,maybe becoz of some minor parallax error.

kex said:
Enjoy ur new camera~!nice combo for landscape and street.
one thing to take note is when shooting vertical,it is quite hard to judge thru the RF vs SLR to get it perpendicular,maybe becoz of some minor parallax error.

Get a three-way gear tripod head, along side with spirit level if you're perfectionist... If not you can always scan and PS to correct the perspecitve, or tilt the bellow of the enlarger to correct the perspective.

I simply love the handling of the M7 II, lenses are easy to focus, just like the Leica. Only gripe is that under certain lighting condition, I can't see the ghost image clearly to focus.

lazy to bring my tripod out mah,kekeke..
i crop my negs while enlarging to correct the perspective.
As for color negs or slides i use PS lor..
I also like the 7ii VF so contrasty,unlike my 7..
But most of the time i shoot landscape with hyperfocal anyway..so not much complain..

Gee, when developed my 1st roll, i had the feeling that my vertical shots seemed a little slanted. At least i know now, that it isn't just me. I guess need to crop my shots alot now coz i mainly take vertical shots.

kex said:
lazy to bring my tripod out mah,kekeke..
i crop my negs while enlarging to correct the perspective.
As for color negs or slides i use PS lor..
I also like the 7ii VF so contrasty,unlike my 7..
But most of the time i shoot landscape with hyperfocal anyway..so not much complain..

sorry for the simple question, but what's hyperfocal refer to?

glt said:
sorry for the simple question, but what's hyperfocal refer to?

Hyperfocal means setting the distance on the lens lor in layman term..
u see 2 sets of f-stops in front of the focusing barrel?
turn the focusing barrel and align the infinity sign to the F16 mark on the right side of the lens with the lens pointing out.
then check the marking of F16 on the left side of the lens,u should read 7ft,dat means anything from 7 ft till infinity is in acceptable focus and the plane of focus(sharpest ) is at 15ft.

u can use it on any F-stops,just align the infinity sign on the right and get the reading on the left..got it ?

glt said:
Guys, thanks for the all advice. I've finally bought a 7ii over the weekend and 65mm lens.

I shot a test roll last week, and boy it was sharp and crisp. I like the fact that the built meter was pretty accurate as well. At least to my standard.

Looking forward to taking more great shots.

Maybe we should organise an outing for 7 and 7ii owners to share our experiences and shots. What you guys think?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats~! Welcome to the club my friend. And good choice of lens you got there. :lovegrin: I'm waiting to get my 65mm lens too. :D Enjoy the results of your 6x7 when you get back your photos. :D By the way, what are you shooting? Slides or neg?

yellowfinsg said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats~! Welcome to the club my friend. And good choice of lens you got there. :lovegrin: I'm waiting to get my 65mm lens too. :D Enjoy the results of your 6x7 when you get back your photos. :D By the way, what are you shooting? Slides or neg?

I shoot b&w negs almost exclusively. You?

glt said:
I shoot b&w negs almost exclusively. You?

Hmm, wanna bring some prints and show show share share over coffee? I've printed them up to 11x14, man, the sharpness and contrast's just like 35mm @ 5R size!

Anyone tried loading IR film into the M7 II? 35mm IR film is a pain to load into the pano adaptor...try loading a roll in the darkbag if you know what I mean...

That's sound like a great idea. Would be good to to network with fellow photographers with similar interests.

Obviously since i just got my 7ii, i only have my 35mm shots to share - if you guys don't mind with the "inferior" quality of 35 blown up real big.

glt said:
That's sound like a great idea. Would be good to to network with fellow photographers with similar interests.

Obviously since i just got my 7ii, i only have my 35mm shots to share - if you guys don't mind with the "inferior" quality of 35 blown up real big.

Go shoot some man. ilford super xp2 is an excellent film - super lattitude for exposure, shot the same roll from ISO 50 - 800, all the shots are printable!

Right now busy making enlargements of my old negs, coz i'm getting them framed for my new house. I actually plan to shoot Tmax 400 @ 200EI. Where do you develop your stuff? At home?

u might wanna minus about 20% development time if u overexpose the film to get some details out.
like the old rule of thumb, meter for the shadow (zone 3) then print for the highlights.

I tried developing it at -15% on monday. Seemed a bit flat to me. So i should pull it to -20%. On Tmax developer, that would be 336 sec (420 sec - 20%). Does that sound right?

B&W is very subjective,it is just a guide to you,u still have to trial and error and get the best results that works for u.i'm curious y u wanna expose 400 film at 200?any reason for doing so,any particular effect u are after?overeposure will give u more grain in most situations and lose out on details..
Anyway,if i want to minus some developing time abit,i just drop 1 deg in the developer and maintain the same developing time.

kex said:
B&W is very subjective,it is just a guide to you,u still have to trial and error and get the best results that works for u.i'm curious y u wanna expose 400 film at 200?any reason for doing so,any particular effect u are after?overeposure will give u more grain in most situations and lose out on details..
Anyway,if i want to minus some developing time abit,i just drop 1 deg in the developer and maintain the same developing time.

Depends on the effect you want, really. For traditional b&w, it's best to overexpose and underdevelop. This will give you thin negs with good shadow details, which make them easy to print in darkroom. Not only is it faster, but also sharper image. Somehow, scanners do not seem to like thin negatives and have problems picking up details from thin negatives.

For example, I rate Neopan 1600 at EI 800-1250; Ilford delta 3200 @ EI 1000. The implication is that you'll probably need to develop them at 20 degrees instead of 27-29...high dilution somehow doesn't work for me, so it's about time and temp.

i prefer to shoot and exposed as recommended on the ISO and developing..dun really like negatives too thin,i find normal density negatives allows more room for burning or dodging..
Anyway,it all boils down to personal taste.try them out and see which one works for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.