How many of you lend your equipment to others?

Do you borrow gears to your best friend,relative,bf/gf or friends

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. If you want something replaced, just lend it to your sibilings, then you can say, pa, ma, see spoilt. How? I need the camera. Then can get new one. Haha.

GMAN

Haha... I have yet got the chance cos my bro hates to carry a big camera ard. He only used the lumix dmc-tz3, which is a decent compact digicam.

immediate family also talk money? ouuccchhhh

i'm not a fussy user, so i dont mind lending out my stuff to people i think i can trust. they may not be pros or expert, but they understand the value of the equipment, and they are people who will feel bad about damaging or losing something and offer to replace/repair.

of course, if you buy equipment to be pampered, polished, and must be scratchfree, then better dont lend to anyone! so at least if there's any damage, no one to blame but yourself..haha

Ya... Not even my gf wants to touch my camera cos she knows that I buy it through my own hard earned money as she dun know anything about photography. It's my 2nd wife liao... Hahaha.

i come under others.

lend to a "BRO" my 24-70L.
came back with one of the bayonet thingy that holds the hood clipped.
never bother to offer to make good.

since then,
no more.

I once lent my D90 to a friend for a day. I only met him on that very day.
D90 came back looking as great as usual.

I do not recommend others to follow suit haha.

Everyone has GF these days. Where to get one? :bsmilie:

GMAN

Let say you say no to your friend.
What would you do if they say:-

i) If you don't lend to me then next time you need my help I won't help you
ii) I'm your best friend and I help you alot. Now I only want to borrow your camera/lens but you don't want to help me.(he is a rude user and you did seen how he handle the camera).
iii) I'm your girlfriend, my brother is learning photography and he just want to borrow for few days.
or
iv) I just want to borrow to shoot my sister's wedding. What's wrong with you? Even I'm your girlfriend you still won't want to borrow it ( You know her brother etc etc will be handling the camera/lens instead and she herself don't know how to take care of such delicate equipment?

What if they force you into lending to them and then it's scratch? You've well taken the gears for years without any deep scratch.

If you ask them to replace it with a new one then they might say:-

i) It's not spoilt.Why?
ii) Well I took it to to the beach/jungle.Of course it did left some dirt.
iii) Don't pamper you camera/lens. In the website it stated that it can withstand abuse and most reporters are doing that.

Would you argue with them to ask for compensation or just forget it but then would leave a deep scratch on your heart.

I've experienced this twice... Once was some paint or wadever marks on lens which thankfully came off. The other was a quite visible scratch on body. Both times the excuse was "It was already like this when i borrowed it" Two painful lessons before I started to say no way.

I've experienced this twice... Once was some paint or wadever marks on lens which thankfully came off. The other was a quite visible scratch on body. Both times the excuse was "It was already like this when i borrowed it" Two painful lessons before I started to say no way.

I bet you won't have a good sleep on that day. What if that's someone close to you and when then asked again they might said you put your camera/lens at the utmost important then them.

Let say you say no to your friend.
What would you do if they say:-

i) If you don't lend to me then next time you need my help I won't help you
ii) I'm your best friend and I help you alot. Now I only want to borrow your camera/lens but you don't want to help me.(he is a rude user and you did seen how he handle the camera).
iii) I'm your girlfriend, my brother is learning photography and he just want to borrow for few days.
or
iv) I just want to borrow to shoot my sister's wedding. What's wrong with you? Even I'm your girlfriend you still won't want to borrow it ( You know her brother etc etc will be handling the camera/lens instead and she herself don't know how to take care of such delicate equipment?

What if they force you into lending to them and then it's scratch? You've well taken the gears for years without any deep scratch.

If you ask them to replace it with a new one then they might say:-

i) It's not spoilt.Why?
ii) Well I took it to to the beach/jungle.Of course it did left some dirt.
iii) Don't pamper you camera/lens. In the website it stated that it can withstand abuse and most reporters are doing that.

Would you argue with them to ask for compensation or just forget it but then would leave a deep scratch on your heart.

Wah... In depth thinking question.

If it was me, simple.
1) do well with PnS then say
2) rent one
3) I can guide you on it in my hse with me ard
4) none of the above? My answer is still, Sorry and No.

Sometimes, one got to learn to say no to others.

everytime i get a request to loan my equipment,

i consult the stars, and all the alamnacs, for the appropriate time to lend..

if the time is not right, i will tell the person who wants to lend that 万事俱备,只欠东风 :thumbsup:

if he sacrifices a chicken to appease the powers that be, then i will loan him the equipment. :)

I bet you won't have a good sleep on that day. What if that's someone close to you and when then asked again they might said you put your camera/lens at the utmost important then them.

Personal opinion, I rather they look at me that way then me having to argue with them who caused the damage. As mentioned before by another member, if they can't understand, so be it. I can just explain it this way, "Would you lend me your Rolex if you knew I'm quite clumsy and may damage your watch?"

everytime i get a request to loan my equipment,

i consult the stars, and all the alamnacs, for the appropriate time to lend..

if the time is not right, i will tell the person who wants to lend that 万事俱备,只欠东风 :thumbsup:

if he sacrifices a chicken to appease the powers that be, then i will loan him the equipment. :)

Wahahaha ... You watch too many movies liao... LOL

Even if there was compensation I would feel a deep scratch too!

weevil84, if they do compensate, they only willing to pay for the damage and not replacing a new unit and that's why we felt the pain.

And what about the part they threaten you not helping you anymore?

What if that friend really could help you a lot i.e offering sound advice for buying a good share with max ROI, getting cheap stuff etc. Then rejecting them you'd lose these perk.

I might lend my equip to those very close friends, who are already experienced in using same gear as mine. So they will give good care to my equip as well. And I will definitely never lend to any strangers. haha.

weevil84, if they do compensate, they only willing to pay for the damage and not replacing a new unit and that's why we felt the pain.

And what about the part they threaten you not helping you anymore?

What if that friend really could help you a lot i.e offering sound advice for buying a good share with max ROI, getting cheap stuff etc. Then rejecting them you'd lose these perk.

My friends know that I'm very careful with my equipment, be it my camera, or my PS3 or whatever. Hence they know that it's better not to borrow my equipment and get into "trouble" later.
If someone 'valuable' were to threaten not to help me anymore, I'd go and rent a camera for him/her to solve the problem. Win-win situation. Hopefully the ROI exceeds the rental cost! :)

I've lend some of my Lense to friends, even L lens..... and my underwater photographing gears.... but with an understanding that it will be 1-to-1 replacement should anything happens.

But of course.... only to close enough friends. :thumbsup:

i only lend my equipment to my partners and family members...

of course i hope they take care of my equipment... so if they return the equipment with scratches.. it depends alot.

i wouldnt care too much if its on the lens hoods or caps.. but the main body gotta be in good condition.

afterall, the camera is my working tool, i need to make sure its in good condition when i needed it. so if things that i lend out and it comes back in bad condition. chances is i will tell that fellow to send to the SC and have it rectified at least.

I've lend some of my Lense to friends, even L lens..... and my underwater photographing gears.... but with an understanding that it will be 1-to-1 replacement should anything happens.

But of course.... only to close enough friends. :thumbsup:

same. hahahaha.... happen that i only got L to lend only.. they wanted something small, but i told them, thats what i have......

so yeah... help Canon to sell L also. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.