How many of you know about........

Who knows about camera format lengths?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with general sentiment here. Thread starter quite bo liao.

Pro Image said:
O

What is a standard lens for Medium Format? How about the Large format? Everyone knows 35mm is 50mm. DSLR is around 33.33 (except of course Canon 1Ds is equivalent to a 35mm format CCD)

If you cannot even answer this, you better go back to your mommy. Some even dare to give lessons without knowing the camera format. So sad! Whether or not you actually use the Large format is another story. This is a basics.

Thank you!

This is a strange statement. If i only use 35mm and don't know other format, so I am not allowed to teach other people what I know about 35mm photography?

It's just like knowing how to cook chicken rice but but because I don't how to do chicken pie, I can't teach people how to cook chicken rice.

Starter, you are too cocky, and im sure many others agree too.

If you have the knowledge, please share them, instead of trying to boost your ego by attempting to find out how many people know less than you ;)

And from what i see, you're a MAJOR bootlicker too :) ( from other threads )

I find some CS members do not even know the basics knowledge of camera equivalent lengths of each format.

So.. you're trying to say that we, amateur photographers, need to know the camera equivalent lengths of each format before we can shoot shooting? oh. im sorry then. i'll dump my camera immediately. back to the books to improve my photography skill!

ten minutes later

i've finished reading all my photography books on all the different formats... :) can i change my nick to Pro Image now?

hmmmm.....
Not my custom to bother bo liao threads... but...

/me put up hand...
Me know of a format lagi better one
Got extra points anot ah?
But the lens behind camera one leh
Sometimes don't need a camera even leh
:devil:

Azure, u mean "FORMAT C:" issit? :bsmilie:

Well... I guess there are ppl out there who have to prove to the world that they are superior then others... :D

I do agree with wat some of us before me mentioned... Does knowing the technical aspects of cameras, eg. film formats, makes you a "better" or "professional" photographer? :think:

If you are trying to boost your ego here, why not show us some really concrete stuff like some "genuine" photos from your portfolio? It's better than blabbling away on your "technical" knowledge... :D

sulhan said:
Hiee.....

As part of the Knowledge base nature of CLUBSNAP. Please do not waste the bandwidth just to challenge others on their level of knowledge.

My personal take on this is, it would be beneficial for all Clubsnap newbies or even regulars if you could just provide the info in a "educating" approach rather than a Challenge approach.

Have a great week ahead.

Regards,
Sulhan

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think the sentiment of all who replied is pretty unanimous.

Edwin said:
Well... I guess there are ppl out there who have to prove to the world that they are superior then others... :D

I do agree with wat some of us before me mentioned... Does knowing the technical aspects of cameras, eg. film formats, makes you a "better" or "professional" photographer? :think:

If you are trying to boost your ego here, why not show us some really concrete stuff like some "genuine" photos from your portfolio? It's better than blabbling away on your "technical" knowledge... :D

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=54259 <- Part of his portfolio :)

Ok, so as to make this thread more educational:

the 'normal' focal length of a format is length of the diagonal of the image. For 35mm, that's 43mm. For other formats, use pythagoras' theorem to calculate the diagonal.

The angle of view is:

2 * arctangent [ (1/2 * image diagonal)/focal length ]

based on simple geometry.

Um, correct? i'm just guessing here. Someone pls verify.

Actually there's something to be said for being familiar with diff formats, esp larger ones.

For SLR users, it pays to know what different lenses are capable of, right? And knowing how to use convertors, extension tubes, shift lenses, macro lenses, telescope attachments, etc all add to the knowledge and enjoyment of the craft.

Similarly, knowing the capabilities and strengths of other formats (and their suitability to diff applications) is simply a further extension of the photographer's eye.

To borrow an earlier analogy, knowing how to make chicken pie may somehow help me cook better chicken rice. :D

Let's be civil here. Bashing someone doesn't make Clubsnap any more gracious, and (like Sulhan said) it's also wasting bandwidth.

ayumilovesdanny said:

Pro Image said:
Hi all I am organizing a Makeover Studio Course @ Stanley Lim Colour Centre. This is not a one time shoot but a hands on course which I will personally look into everyone's skills. Those venturing into this line, will command a good income. Besides making some money you get to shoot too. Morever, if anything goes wrong with the photos (touch wood!), you will be able to reshoot again.

Anyone interested to see what I have done, can come down to the studio to view my portfolio but please give a buzz first. I have it on my Sony Image Station as well. This is the site....... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288536583

i find something really odd. The link espn post to Pro Image's thread on studio makeovers which included an imagestation link which seems to be owned by someone called dannylovesayumi & ur nick is ayumi lovesdanny????

hmmmm seems like something very odd is going on here? no? :devil:

Update hmmm looks like somebody has change name from dannylovesayumi to JustPhotos in Image Station eh? :sweat: :devil:

personally, i think it is gd to find out more abt other formats other than the popular 35mm. thats why i like to borrow books n mags from the library to read up more, in order to get myself more informed n appreciate the art more.

at the end of the day, wat matters most is whether ur picture says something. thats wat im striving to achieve ultimately.

cheerios ;)

Must be another EDMWer from HWZ :sweat:

I'll bet top photographers in the world such as Michael Yamashita, Annie Leibovitz, Irving Penn, Ansel Adams and others will be so ashamed of themselves for not knowing what photography is about. I guess they're not qualified to talk about photography since I bet they don't know what is the standard length for all the formats...

Duh... grow up...

This leads me to think - What is the most important thing in terms of photography?

One man's meat is another man's poison.

A photo taken using large format and one with 35mm - you give it to most people, i don't think they can differentiate right?

To me, I personally think the most important is composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.