How many of u still look back at old photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
I was looking thru some photos of my trip earlier this year, my pre-DSLR days, when I decided that some photos are a little underexposed, thus I fired up photoshop and to my horror of horrors, photos blown up to 100% are actually so grainy (it was taken by a 3.2MP cam, P&S) that I'm sure u guys would cringe in horror as well.

Some things, u wun realise how bad it was until u'd looked back. Come to think of it, switching frm a P&S to a DSLR is probably something I'll not regret.

How abt u guys? U do still look back at ur pre-DSLR photos? Share a little of ur experiences. :D

Yes, usually these things happen on my photos from cheap P&S, sub-5M pixel, pre-DSLR cameras:
- blown out red colour (I like red colour a lot)
- not contrasty enough
- shutter time lagging (group photo ppl need to freeze their smile for hours until the shutter click!)

Ever wondered how u endured those dayz using cheap P&S, sub 5MP to take photos?

Everyone was going, "Oooh..." and "Ahhh..." when they see photos on screen, if only they learnt more. They will faint upon seeing a 100% crop photo after unmask sharp. :bigeyes:

yes yes yes, so after that i refuse to buy another digital P&S for myself and started using good film P&S.

the sharpness also makes me crazy, so fake some of the photos, the background so dark etc......

well i still look back at some of the photos that i have taken, and usually they survive. well some of them haiz... dunno fly until where...

anyway when i look at the past photos of which i take, esp those during the ndp 2001, i am still realli realli proud of singapore, and myself for being able to take part in the country's celebration.. :bsmilie:

and those picture realli make me think of the 6mths of torture i have been through.. and its the 6mths which i have learn alot of things !! which included endurance and tolerant of other races and religion because my coy mates were 80% malay, while i am the minority group.. :bsmilie: and i am a chinese !! ..... (aarrrgghh.. i also wonder y am i nt with those coys which chinese are the majority ones.., but anyway i had fun wif them la.. hahahhaha i still remember, it was them that i always get early rest for friddays... hehehe)

i look bak at super old fotos of my grandad and grandmom and my great grand-mom.. and the photos are... omg.. super super old... when i find time i scan let u all see.. hahahaha..... :bsmilie:

glennyong said:
well i still look back at some of the photos that i have taken, and usually they survive. well some of them haiz... dunno fly until where...

anyway when i look at the past photos of which i take, esp those during the ndp 2001, i am still realli realli proud of singapore, and myself for being able to take part in the country's celebration.. :bsmilie:

and those picture realli make me think of the 6mths of torture i have been through.. and its the 6mths which i have learn alot of things !! which included endurance and tolerant of other races and religion because my coy mates were 80% malay, while i am the minority group.. :bsmilie: and i am a chinese !! ..... (aarrrgghh.. i also wonder y am i nt with those coys which chinese are the majority ones.., but anyway i had fun wif them la.. hahahhaha i still remember, it was them that i always get early rest for friddays... hehehe)

i look bak at super old fotos of my grandad and grandmom and my great grand-mom.. and the photos are... omg.. super super old... when i find time i scan let u all see.. hahahaha..... :bsmilie:
That's the beauty of photos. :D

shot many in b/w of the disappearing shophouses along north bridge road, south bridge road, telok ayer street, etc in the 80s and 90s. they disappeared. what were the shophouses where Bugis Junction is now at.

now, i want to scan the b/w negatives so as to 'prolong' their lives.

Belle&Sebastain said:
yes yes yes, so after that i refuse to buy another digital P&S for myself and started using good film P&S.

Pls share why. I'm planning to get a digital P&S. Do you mean film P&S is still superior to digital P&S?

If u compare prints for film P&S compared to digital P&S, u'll noe the reason. ;)

During my pre-SLR dayz, I looked at my travel photos, I thought it was rather good. Till when I switched to DSLR, looked at night and day shots and saw many problems with the digital P&S.

Chromatic abberations galore, blurred shots, flash firing at the worst possible time, high noise level in all shots even at ISO200, etc, etc.

Maybe I'm getting overly fussy. But den do take a closer look. Blow up to 100% on ur photo taken by ur digital P&S and you'll noe what B&S mean. ;)

jsbn said:
If u compare prints for film P&S compared to digital P&S, u'll noe the reason. ;)

During my pre-SLR dayz, I looked at my travel photos, I thought it was rather good. Till when I switched to DSLR, looked at night and day shots and saw many problems with the digital P&S.

Chromatic abberations galore, blurred shots, flash firing at the worst possible time, high noise level in all shots even at ISO200, etc, etc.

Maybe I'm getting overly fussy. But den do take a closer look. Blow up to 100% on ur photo taken by ur digital P&S and you'll noe what B&S mean. ;)

True, but a film P&S with manual controls, subject modes and other features (like exposure compensation) is so expensive (Contax T3, etc) compared to say, a Canon A95 digital. Should I then just weigh which is more important to me? Image quality vs cost?

i still like my velvia photos. And the prints from them, cibachromes!!!! no one does them now though...

Ben1223 said:
True, but a film P&S with manual controls, subject modes and other features (like exposure compensation) is so expensive (Contax T3, etc) compared to say, a Canon A95 digital. Should I then just weigh which is more important to me? Image quality vs cost?
Most people would go for cost over quality.

But photography, like Canonites 'L Bug', once u go for quality, u see the beauty of it, u'll never, ever feel like touching a digital P&S. Unless the situation requires u to go for a P&S only. ;)

szekiat said:
i still like my velvia photos. And the prints from them, cibachromes!!!! no one does them now though...
Sad to say, market forces at work here. :(

Ben1223 said:
Pls share why. I'm planning to get a digital P&S. Do you mean film P&S is still superior to digital P&S?

seriously, my film P&S contax T3 has this advantages

full frame (hahaha!!!)

sharp lens (nothing is sharper P&S, not even nikon 4200 & 5200) you can certainly compare this sharpness to a SLR camera, it will blow you away.

good depth of field F2.8 with nice bokeh

iso what film you use is what you get

nice film colours (to go with your fav films) and b/w as well. this one is subjective, i perfer the look of gain over noise. At iso 100 and above most digicams are noisy at this aspect. The CZ lens is also a wonder, the blue skies, the greens, wow!

i could have full control over aperture, EV compensation, focus lock, etc, no so much of a advantage as i believe most digital P&S have this too.

beautiful design, the only camera i fancied on the digital side is ixus 40 but the contax has a retro look and feel to it, i'm a designer by profession and to me looks are as important as function, if its ugly i will not use it. the contax certainly won me over by its compact cuteness it its matt black metal body with super clear viewfinder. that is why at the end the mjuII has to go, not as stylish as the T3. In fact most contax cameras have beautiful bodies.

for film users, you must have a certain pasion for the picture and some for the craft of making the photograph ( the development, printing) and honestly there is more character, more soul in the pictures when i use film cameras. There is a fine difference, if you appreicate the aesthetics, the gain structure, the colours you will understand what i'm ranting about.

i use it for my own pictures, i love it to death and so eagerly explore more options for my camera. i have seldom found anyone who own the T3 before disagree on my above points as we rave on the same issues. Most sell it when they switch to digital for the convenience or need to rise $$$ for other important things.

this camera will stay as my faithful comparion when you have upgraded countless times on your digital P&S for whatever reason there may be. :heart:

Ben1223 said:

to put it simply, the image won me over...

different ppl have diiferent views abt it, my wife dislike it as it's not a digital camera.

but its okie, if the digital P&S is high on your list, please go ahead to get it. you know what is important factor for yourself.

one other factor why i dropped digitial P&S. bad pixels, mucky shadows and the not so smooth tones when you blow up and look closer. I was quite shock when i pore over my G2 images , especially so when my ROM has taken with it. i have since convert all my pictures to B/W.

Ah, how true.

Imagine, some event which there is near zero possibility of recurrence or a re-shoot, shot with a digital P&S and u get really crap photos when u look back at it in the future.

I'm lamenting over the fact that I chose to take my buddy's ROM with my P&S. I look back at it now and I'm beating my chest like an ape when I see all the flaws.

P/S: How much u paid for ur Contax T3? :D

yah, i also look at my old pictures now and then. surprising how different it feels even less than one year on... shots that i was happy with when i took them, now i look and i see: blur cos not focused properly or camera shake, colour balance off, horribly noisy, and too much post-processing. :cry:

on the bright side, even if they are badly taken in so many ways, they still bring back many happy (and sad) memories, and in the end, that's what's more valuable to me. i'd rather have all of these ugly shots of family and friends and places i've visited, than one perfect shot of an amazing landscape or model.

and actually, feeling so frustrated about old pictures is a good thing right? cos it shows that we've "upgraded" the most important camera of all, our own eyes. i can only hope that in another year's time i can look at the pictures i'm taking now, and see many many ways they can be improved.

an early happy new year to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.