how many of u guys own a electric dry cabinet or dry box for protecting ur SLR or DC?


Status
Not open for further replies.

ah_fu

New Member
Jun 27, 2002
47
0
0
41
Visit site
#1
hi guys,

juz wan to find out if it is worth it to invest in some box to keep the camera dry?

any one got a cheap way to keep ur cam away from fungus?:dunno:
 

Apr 7, 2002
339
0
0
east
skyetan.multiply.com
#3
ah_fu, don't waste your time on cheap dry cabin. I tell you the hassle of maintaining silica gel is a total waste of time. When you have to send your len for cleaning, and realise that the amount you pay for sevicing your lens can get you a decent electric dry box.....

The silica gel which has turn pink is worse than having no drybox. One of my friend uses a dry box with pink silica gel, molded his camera, paid hundreds of dollar cleaning his len before deciding to buy an electric drybox. Well how clever...
:bsmilie:
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#5
i use plastic boxes exclusively. never been a hassle to maintain. unless you really have that much camera equipment that you need 4-5 boxes....
 

I

ItBYTES

Guest
#6
I am using the AM-PRO one from Alley Photo ($99)... quite good build... and the lock is rather useful for those with children at home...

Do you all put the camera bag inside too or just the DC?
 

Barrios

Senior Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
16
57
Visit site
#7
Originally posted by ItBYTES
I am using the AM-PRO one from Alley Photo ($99)... quite good build... and the lock is rather useful for those with children at home...

Do you all put the camera bag inside too or just the DC?
Aiyah! You can sun your camera bag once in a while but you don't sun your camera right? So why put it in? Haha.........
 

Jul 24, 2002
59
0
0
www.joyfulcity.com
#8
One thing about putting your camera bag, is that the bag traps air, so will it cause the humidity to go up? Not too sure about this. Anyway I imagine it would be easy to take and go since everything is inside the bag :)

For me, I don't put my whole bag inside, just the camera and accessories

Originally posted by ItBYTES
I am using the AM-PRO one from Alley Photo ($99)... quite good build... and the lock is rather useful for those with children at home...

Do you all put the camera bag inside too or just the DC?
 

eleewhm

New Member
Jul 4, 2002
85
0
0
Visit site
#9
buy the AmPro from Alley....i boought it...great deal....bigger and deeper than the carrefour one selling at $99
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#10
hey folks,

just me 2 rupiah's worth,

when i bought ma dry cabinet earlier this year, i was thinking of the following points:
a) value for money - duhh
b) expansionability - will i need more space in the future and can the box accomodate that? if not, will i need to get another box?
c) real-estate - i live in my own room - not in my own house. plan for it's location, clean-up, make space, make sacrifices, whatever, but if you need to expand, can you (and your room) accomodate that?
d) what you intend to put inside - SLRs, lenses, film, DCs, negatives, slides, batteries, lightboxes, loupes... + some family stuff like those 20 year old photos etc. make a list, decide the amount of space you NEED then add some.
e) miscellaneous features such as warranty, free delivery etc.
f) it's an investment. don't buy one only to throw it away 3 years later. a dry cabinet should last you 15-20 years, or until you out-grow it (in which case, you didn't really plan properly). :D


hope this'll help those intending to invest in one plan more effectively.

and yes, i take the camera (and lenses) out of my bag, clean them, and place them in the dry cabinet even though i know i'm going for a shoot the next day. it's a 10 minute discipline that will prolong the life of your equipment. treat your babies well and they'll return the favour.


enjoy!
rOCh
 

Zoomer

New Member
Feb 4, 2002
645
0
0
Singapore
reverac.com
#11
Originally posted by rochkoh
hey folks,

just me 2 rupiah's worth,

when i bought ma dry cabinet earlier this year, i was thinking of the following points:
a) value for money - duhh
b) expansionability - will i need more space in the future and can the box accomodate that? if not, will i need to get another box?
c) real-estate - i live in my own room - not in my own house. plan for it's location, clean-up, make space, make sacrifices, whatever, but if you need to expand, can you (and your room) accomodate that?
d) what you intend to put inside - SLRs, lenses, film, DCs, negatives, slides, batteries, lightboxes, loupes... + some family stuff like those 20 year old photos etc. make a list, decide the amount of space you NEED then add some.
e) miscellaneous features such as warranty, free delivery etc.
f) it's an investment. don't buy one only to throw it away 3 years later. a dry cabinet should last you 15-20 years, or until you out-grow it (in which case, you didn't really plan properly). :D


hope this'll help those intending to invest in one plan more effectively.

and yes, i take the camera (and lenses) out of my bag, clean them, and place them in the dry cabinet even though i know i'm going for a shoot the next day. it's a 10 minute discipline that will prolong the life of your equipment. treat your babies well and they'll return the favour.


enjoy!
rOCh
Well, just beware of paper curling if you never check your dry box humidity properly.

Anything below 40% can cause paper (your precious photos!) to curl up and basically cause a huge...mess. :)

IMO, about cleaning your lenses/camera, it depends on how you clean them. Sometimes, if you're using a cloth, its better not to clean it too often cos it rubs away the protective multicoat all modern glass have.

For me, I have a UV filter permamently on my lens, this is after I have cleaned and blew out almost all the dust I could find in a clean aircon room. Thus, cleaning will only have to be performed on the UV filter which is cheap as compared to the cost of a any decent lens. Even the best UV filters by B+W cost below $100.

For these wondering what size of dry box you need, I would recommend that you buy 200% of what you think you need. Its a wonder how all these stuff accumulate. Also, spending $50 more now can prevent you from spending another $100-$200 when u run out of space cos u bought a small box. ("640k ought to be enough for anybody"-- Bill Gates, 1985.) =p
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#13
Zoomer,

thanks for your pointers. I keep my dry box's humidity between 45-55%. Agree with you about that lens cleaning bit. I've got 'permanent' filters on all me lenses - will take them off only on very rare occasions. (unfortunately that means that i have to stack them filters occasionally).

oh yes, and btw, my dry cab is approx 50% full right now. :D


regards,
rOCh


Originally posted by Zoomer


Well, just beware of paper curling if you never check your dry box humidity properly.

Anything below 40% can cause paper (your precious photos!) to curl up and basically cause a huge...mess. :)

IMO, about cleaning your lenses/camera, it depends on how you clean them. Sometimes, if you're using a cloth, its better not to clean it too often cos it rubs away the protective multicoat all modern glass have.

For me, I have a UV filter permamently on my lens, this is after I have cleaned and blew out almost all the dust I could find in a clean aircon room. Thus, cleaning will only have to be performed on the UV filter which is cheap as compared to the cost of a any decent lens. Even the best UV filters by B+W cost below $100.

For these wondering what size of dry box you need, I would recommend that you buy 200% of what you think you need. Its a wonder how all these stuff accumulate. Also, spending $50 more now can prevent you from spending another $100-$200 when u run out of space cos u bought a small box. ("640k ought to be enough for anybody"-- Bill Gates, 1985.) =p
 

Zoomer

New Member
Feb 4, 2002
645
0
0
Singapore
reverac.com
#14
Originally posted by rochkoh

(unfortunately that means that i have to stack them filters occasionally).

Well, I'm sure that you didn't skimp and buy Hoya's stuff, right?? ;)

I have compared B+W's UV filter vs. Hoya's stuff. The hoya has a warm colour tint to it which the b+w's don't have. The tint is very obvious, esp if comparing with a white background.

And, hoya's stuff seems to be made of plastic. So light??
 

Bean

New Member
Apr 16, 2002
781
0
0
www.pbase.com
#15


Just want to ask, does putting the flashlight into a dry cabinet do any benefit?

Also, do you guys remove the lens cap (both rear and front) when you put your gear into a dry cabinet. How about the body cap of your SLR camera as well?

Lastly, does taking out the filters help in any way when the lens is placed inside the dry cabinet?

:dunno:
:dunno:
:dunno:
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#16
uh-oh, more 'Finger paralysis syndrome....'

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8392

Originally posted by Zoomer


Well, I'm sure that you didn't skimp and buy Hoya's stuff, right?? ;)

I have compared B+W's UV filter vs. Hoya's stuff. The hoya has a warm colour tint to it which the b+w's don't have. The tint is very obvious, esp if comparing with a white background.

And, hoya's stuff seems to be made of plastic. So light??
 

E

Eric

Guest
#17
Originally posted by erwinx
uh-oh, more 'Finger paralysis syndrome....'

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8392

Got a story to tell. Please feel free to skip if you don't like old grandfather-type stories.

Years ago (ya, all these stories start like this), when I was picking up playing the electric guitar, I bought a cheapo Korean-made electric guitar (the best ones were made in the US). I wasn't very happy with the quality of the tone it made. The tone was just not quite fat enough. Went to upgrade to nice expensive pickups - that did improve the sound, but still something was not right. Bought a nice guitar amp - now it was sounding better, but still not as fat as others I've heard.

Now, I've got a friend who IS a decent guitar player (did I mention I was quite BAD at it?). Just upgraded his old banged up guitar to a "professional" guitar. Naturally, I went up to him to discus his new baby. When I was asking him about the tone, "I bet your new guitar has a great big fat tone", he turned to me and said something I still remember (word-for-word) today :

He said, "Brother, sometimes TONE is in your fingers"
 

E

Encino

Guest
#19
Hi

I guess it's good to invest in a dry cabinet...no money then buy those from Carrefour...I'm using one...not bad. So far no mould growing yet.

As others had said, u spent so much on yr camera, what's a little bit of the fraction to spend on a dry cabinet? The cabinet can store other things also...but for me, I got no more space after putting 3 SLR bodies 3 lenses and also my G2.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom