How Many Keepers per Roll?

How Many Keepers Do You Get per Roll of Film You Shot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
This is inspired from a similar post in offstone. How many keepers per roll do you get on the average? (For digital shooters, out of every 36 shots, how many keepers do you get?)

Sorry, but don't quite understand what are keepers? Can elaborate further?:dunno:

Originally posted by Goondu
Sorry, but don't quite understand what are keepers? Can elaborate further?:dunno:

Keepers are those good shots that you want to keep, the rest you want to throw away or chuck aside. Or for digital shooters, delete.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Keepers are those good shots that you want to keep, the rest you want to throw away or chuck aside. Or for digital shooters, delete.

Regards
CK

OIC,:embrass:

Alternatively, can give in percentage terms? Feel that using percentage will be better for both film and digital images.

Film photographers do not think in terms of percentages but in shots per roll :) digital can convert from percentages accordingly

Originally posted by Goondu

OIC,:embrass:

Alternatively, can give in percentage terms? Feel that using percentage will be better for both film and digital images.

Actually, I've always understood "keepers" to mean something slightly different. When professionals talk about keepers they tend to refer to stuff they are really happy with, and hence the idea that professionals are generally very happy if they can come up with 1-2 keepers per roll. By no means will they necessarily bin the other 34 or so exposures.

Personally, I've stopped counting now how many keepers I get, but if I get one from any given outing, I'm usually happy. But I keep almost all my shots except those that are technically off.

The difference I guess is in the understanding of the word "keeper", and also in the editing. A professional edits far more strictly than an "amateur". Something I still have a lot to learn about :confused:

I use a different grading system to most, however as Jed rightly points out those of us who's living depends on our work tend to be far more critical about our work.

Shots are broken down in to the following categories at the first batching.

Good{/B]
Shots that are sellable.

Undecided{/B]
Shots I'm not so sure about, may have technial flaws or compositional errors that I want to think over.

Circular File
Rejects, technical or composition errors that I find unacceptable. These are the images I pay most attention to in the longer term as analysis of these shots leads to a reduction of mistakes that follow a predictable pattern.

A second round of batching the following day normally resolves if the shots in the undecided category make it to good or the circular file.

Overall however I aim to not have more than 6-8 shots per roll for general photography that end up in the circular file, needless to say some days this is unachievable due to either subject material, weather conditions etc.

As for keepers, I probably only print 3-4 shots a month for myself at 8x10 size or larger as I'm seldom 100% happy with a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.