How many generations of backup do you have for your digital images??

Status
Not open for further replies.
At present, 1 copy on each of 2 computers (laptop died but will be replace in a week, so a copy on it)
1 copy on an external hard drive.
1 copy on DVD.

I have lost big ammounts of important data before ... I don't intend to do it again :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Bobman said:
Just asking those who are using Digital on how they keep your images?

For me...After each shoot, down load all the PC. Short list them. Then make a raw copy of the files. This is my master copy. Then short list further and pick out the ones I like and work on them in Photoshop to enhance, touch up and save them as tiff or psd files (to prevent further generation loss if it was save to jpg). Then make a master copy of edited images on another CD. Make another CD of the short listed images and use as a work disc. Total of 3 disc. Never save anything to HDD. Only do that when I want to work on the file or print.

Stopped printing out my shots a long time back hehe..just too lazy once the "print bug" part is over when you notice you don't have that many place to frame them or view them and you are settle with your new camera now. So much more eaier to view on line or email to interested parties.

I have two HDD. I make one HDD the shadow of the other. Whatever I want to keep (RAW + layered PSD + final-form JPEG) is filed to the proper place on the primary HDD. then I run a nifty little tool from Microsoft (yes, even they can make nifty little tools, for free!) which will copy whatever has changed (new, deleted or renamed) from the primary to the shadow HDD.

so at the end of everyday, I have two sets of files saved on two separate HDD. For more protection you could put it on a third HDD. This method is better than using RAID, as it also protect against your own stupidity in deleting the wrong files.

Keeping files in CDrom/DVD is fine, just remember these have a lifespan as well. Given the size and cheapness of HDD these days, I am too lazy to have stacks of DVDs. :)

Thanks guys for your inputs. Sion, I wondering now how many pair of shoes you have?

Bobman said:
Thanks guys for your inputs. Sion, I wondering now how many pair of shoes you have?

Each shoe box contains 170 CDs. I keep a few more empty shoe boxes aside for future storage when my wife buys new shoes. :)

At the moment I do not need to access those images very often except when I need to do photo composites. When the need arises I get my wife to transfer them into an external hardisk for me to work on.

I probably need some kind of database for the digital images and will look into Cumulus for it.

Sion said:
Each shoe box contains 170 CDs. I keep a few more empty shoe boxes aside for future storage when my wife buys new shoes. :)

At the moment I do not need to access those images very often except when I need to do photo composites. When the need arises I get my wife to transfer them into an external hardisk for me to work on.

I probably need some kind of database for the digital images and will look into Cumulus for it.

I think you should, that's your rice bowl. For me as an hobbyist, just a few high capacity harddisks on RAID 5 on my server can do the job. But I still have cds/dvds for the original shoot (like what Sam did for his backups). I am also looking for program like picasa. Btw, anyone here uses picasa2?

Bobman said:
I think you should, that's your rice bowl. For me as an hobbyist, just a few high capacity harddisks on RAID 5 on my server can do the job. But I still have cds/dvds for the original shoot (like what Sam did for his backups). I am also looking for program like picasa. Btw, anyone here uses picasa2?

Hi Bobman,

I have Picasa2 (free download from Google).

It is good for finding photos stored on the hard drive.
It is also a snap to use for emailing a photo.

Cheers :)

Pablo said:
Hi Bobman,

I have Picasa2 (free download from Google).

It is good for finding photos stored on the hard drive.
It is also a snap to use for emailing a photo.

Yes, actually I tried that yesterday. Questions to ask is where are the images stored? In our PC or their Server? Does it only run online and not offline?

Bobman said:
Yes, actually I tried that yesterday. Questions to ask is where are the images stored? In our PC or their Server? Does it only run online and not offline?

Hi Bobman,

You can set the Picasa2 to scan part or all of your computer for photos.
It then makes a record of them.

The program resides and runs on your computer.
Only when you actually use the program to email a photo, does it come close to the internet.
It will ask you which of your email programs do you wish to use.

I can't say that I have monitored internet access whilst using the program.
But as far as I am aware it doesn't access it unless you email from it, or use an internet based print company.

Status
Not open for further replies.