How many driving lessons did you take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemystery

Mar 31, 2008
As above,

And how many times did you take the test?

I'm thinking I'm not progressing in my lessons as fast as I wish to...spending more $$$ than desirable.

I'm on my 18th lesson, and completed 25 subjects. Total 33 subjects including revision. From what my instructors say, I'm supposedly average, or slightly below. Yet, I'm wondering if they're just trying not to dampen my confidence.

Thing is...I am inconsistent, and have problems concentrating on the road after more than an hour. Stalling often, especially on slopes, and unsmooth gear changes...

Any tips from you guys?

Don't worry so much. I was going for my test, and my instructor was just telling me that I take the test for trial, as she didn't think i was ready yet. Imagine her surprise when I passed. I still stall sometimes, even though I have been driving for 10 years. Of course it helps that I could restart the car in less than 1 sec.... ;)

Driving is a skill that require lots of practice. Some have it naturally, while some take longer. Just practice and practice, and don't give up. You just need to show that you are confident on the road.

I passed on my 1st attempt [School -- CDC Ubi] and I had 25 lessons under my belt when i took it. You just have to be level-headed when you do the lessons and during the test itself. If you foul up a bit, just try to remain cool and not let it affect ur nerves. For me, during the test, the tester could have given me a IF for exceeding the time for parallel park [i also knock the kerb a bit]... but i remained cool during the road test and the tester passed me in the end [18 pts and a possible IF]

since you know your weak points, tell the instructors at the start of every lesson about them, so they will task you to go thru more of such stages accordingly... and if you have the dough, spend a bit more to get the sch to assign you the instructors you prefer and feel most at ease with [i think add $10 per lesson?]

Some will take longer, some will take shorter while some will take forever....:bsmilie: I when for my 1st test after 40hours and I failed. Took another 15hrs before the 2nd Test before I got my licence. There are lots of factor that will have to be consider such as, Aptitude, How fast you learn, Luck (road condition and tester) How good is the instructor ....etc.

24.. i took 4 more than i needed cos i wanted to practice for the test. :bsmilie: got my licence on 1st try. :sweatsm:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like all of you have the aptitute for driving...Think I'll take around 26 lessons in the end...and hopefully I'd pass on my first try.:embrass:

U take sch or private? I can't really remember how many lessons I took but roughly ard 1.6k spent (sch & include membership) and got it first time.

Took me 3 tries...

about 30 lessons... and about 1.7k... :sweat:

But finally, I get to drive on the road... hehe

Took nearly 50 lessons and spent nearly $2500 altogether! Reason was because I booked the test date and then went back to Singapore to learn intensively for 2.5 months. Couldn't afford to fail since if it did, it would mean more disruption to my schedule and I would have to return again. In the end, failed on the first try (31st March) stupidly due to some nervousness and a streak of impatience bred from living long-term in HK leading me to make one single stupid mistake. Thankfully I got a rare second chance - managed to book a re-test slot just a week after. Well I passed on the second try (7th April) and upon returning to HK just bought a car (a rather antiquated 14 year old Mazda 323, but at SG$1200 - yes, 1.2K! Can never afford a car back in Singapore). Can say the learning curve as a licensed driver is as sharp, if not more, than the learner period! Still learning new things every day.

bluemystery: Don't worry too much, but at the same time I suggest you take more lessons if you are not confident. Most importantly, take lessons the period before the test and try to take a lesson just before the test itself, as a warm-up. The more you practice the more it becomes natural. I experienced the same, when I felt that I was not getting good at it even towards 20 lessons, but suddenly from then on it picked up and a lot of things that I found difficult because quite natural. The problems you mention are all quite common during the learner stage. Since you have singled out your weak points, ask your instructors to help you work on those. Best of luck for your test!

i took 8 normal lessons and 1 refresher in BBDC before i went for my test. had to take the refresher cos i waited 8 months before i took my advanced theory test. haha.

passed first time with 18 points *phew*

the tester asked me how many lessons i had, and i told a bold-faced lie. "how many? oh, 18." cos i knew if i said 9 he's definitely going to add 2 points somewhere and fail me for sure. i didn't tell him that i havent driven in 8 months either. haha

he said, "so little? looks like you should have had more practice. i will let you pass, but make sure you are careful on the road."

so in total, lesons at BBDC + driving test at just under $1000.

I passed on my 1st attempt, Private, i think i took 12 lessons and 2 ccts before the test... total cost me ~$1200... i wanted fewer lesson but my instructor (Private) said too little lesson, the tester would be more stingy.

Anyway , i think besides u need CnC to pass the test. Confidence and Composure. COnfidence to practice wat u learn and composure when there is any sudden hiccups like stalling. Stalling is ok but after stall u must be composed to pull the handbrake and restart the engine and not be over anxious doing this doing that. the tester will take all these into account. if they see it there most likely they wun penalise u. :)

me previously on "Bao Pass"..$1300 spent...3 attempts

me took 25 lessons... 1st try pass too..
i did foul up a couple of times in the test too..

i forgot to release the hand brake

i made a jam brake at a traffic light when i could not turn in time.

and my engine stalled when i was waiting to enter the sch again.

but by God's grace... i passed:D

I think I took about 25 lessons and two attempts to pass mine.

I took 25 lessons and passed 1st attempt. Last went out and first came in. TP tester told me that I should have no problem to drive on the road. I was given 3 points.

Anyway these info will not help you to gain confidence to pass your TP test. Even you passed the test, you still need to drive frequently to get familiar with the road place, road safety and overcome the road fear. Always drive safety at all times.

Remember your driving instructor teaches you the basic driving rules (check mirrors and blind spots). Execute them well and don't commit silly or major mistakes. It is good to make mistakes during practical lessons so that you have the opportunity to learn how to rememy them. During the test, drive safely and confidently. When you see road harzard ahead, always slow down first. Stop at least 2 car length to the road harzard (if you are unable to overtake in time) and then check road clear and safety to overtake it. Prove to the tester what you are capable of when you encounter road harzard.

yeah man! check blind spots, mirrors, and most importantly, show the tester that you're able to handle the car on the road, and also handle traffic situations. I took 17 lessons, plus few for revisions (over booked), also passed at first attempt. i would suggest book more revisions cos thats the time you really get to drive and build confident.

it is always the most basic instructions from the driving instructor, which are the most important things to remember.

I took 25 lessons and passed 1st attempt. Last went out and first came in. TP tester told me that I should have no problem to drive on the road. I was given 3 points.

Anyway these info will not help you to gain confidence to pass your TP test. Even you passed the test, you still need to drive frequently to get familiar with the road place, road safety and overcome the road fear. Always drive safety at all times.

Remember your driving instructor teaches you the basic driving rules (check mirrors and blind spots). Execute them well and don't commit silly or major mistakes. It is good to make mistakes during practical lessons so that you have the opportunity to learn how to rememy them. During the test, drive safely and confidently. When you see road harzard ahead, always slow down first. Stop at least 2 car length to the road harzard (if you are unable to overtake in time) and then check road clear and safety to overtake it. Prove to the tester what you are capable of when you encounter road harzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.