how many dpi do you save with your jpg ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
While I'm doing post processing from RAW to jpg, I usually save it as 240dpi. Wondering what's your preference?

Care to share your experience and any reasonable behind if to set the dpi too high eg.300dpi or too low eg.150dpi ? :dunno:
But, I can see the file size real make the different.

All inputs welcome :)

Thanks.

ST_sg said:
While I'm doing post processing from RAW to jpg, I usually save it as 240dpi. Wondering what's your preference?

Care to share your experience and any reasonable behind if to set the dpi too high eg.300dpi or too low eg.150dpi ? :dunno:
But, I can see the file size real make the different.

All inputs welcome :)

Thanks.
Only important w.r.t. a printing device. Does not affect the pixels. Save whatever makes u happy:wink:.

many people are confused about the concept of dpi. dpi does not really matter for digital images. just make sure that the number of pixels correspond to your original source.

dpi x length (in inches) x width (in inches) = number of pixels

Unless you specify the length and width in inches as well, saving to a particular dpi makes no sense.

Doesn't matter. You can save as 1 dpi or 3000dpi and it won't make a difference as long as your pixel dimensions remain the same. e.g. 2048 x 1536 for a 3mp image.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Doesn't matter. You can save as 1 dpi or 3000dpi and it won't make a difference as long as your pixel dimensions remain the same. e.g. 2048 x 1536 for a 3mp image.

Regards
CK
It matters only when u directly send your image to your PC printer.

AReality said:
It matters only when u directly send your image to your PC printer.

nope, it doesn't. changing the dpi and keeping the pixel dimensions doesn't change the image at all.

However, some software require you to specific the print size and it "derives" the dpi from the specified print size. e.g. if you have a 2000x3000 pic, specifying a print size of 4 inch by 6 inch will result in a printed pic that contains 500 pixels per inch. Of course, you could also specify the dpi and the software derive the print size. DPI and printsize goes together, specifying one without the other makes no sense for digital images.

ckiang said:

Regards
CK
How about a 6MP image at 2048x3072. What is the recommended dpi to save from RAW to JPG if I want to send for A3 prints?

Thanks for your tips & time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.