how many audiophiles are photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am moving around often, I can't afford to get a real hi fi set. I only have a audio technica earphone with my ipod now. can anyone recommend a good amp, headphones or speakers for ipod? All those must be portable..

for earphones, you can try UE 5 pro or if you have more $ to spend then 10pro. highs are so much clearer on 10pro. that said, better to try out. i still prefer 5pro over 10pro. if you wan something cheap..and good...try the crossroads X3s....very very good for its price.

for portable amps...i have practical XM4 and RSA tomahawk. tomahawk is great but cost much more. XM4 is great too but cost half of tomahawk.

also tried the millet hybrid. its a tube amp thata sounds wonderful. but its a bit sensitive to movement...cause a ringing sound when there is too much movement.

if you are looking for a portable speaker( can be battery powered). the harman/kardon play+go is wonderful. very very good sound for the price.

for earphones, you can try UE 5 pro or if you have more $ to spend then 10pro. highs are so much clearer on 10pro. that said, better to try out. i still prefer 5pro over 10pro. if you wan something cheap..and good...try the crossroads X3s....very very good for its price.

for portable amps...i have practical XM4 and RSA tomahawk. tomahawk is great but cost much more. XM4 is great too but cost half of tomahawk.

also tried the millet hybrid. its a tube amp thata sounds wonderful. but its a bit sensitive to movement...cause a ringing sound when there is too much movement.

if you are looking for a portable speaker( can be battery powered). the harman/kardon play+go is wonderful. very very good sound for the price.

What is the price range of Tomahawk? Say I have a budget of $2k. I dont see any point of spending more than $2k on something that produced from MP3 players because of the limitation of the format.

Running Macbook Pro with Lacie 250Gb Hdd running Apple Lossless Codec -> Spitfire DAC via Optical -> RSA Hornet Headphone Amp -> Beyerdynamic DT990 or Alessandro MS Pro or Shure SE 310.

Running Macbook Pro with Lacie 250Gb Hdd running Apple Lossless Codec -> Spitfire DAC via Optical -> RSA Hornet Headphone Amp -> Beyerdynamic DT990 or Alessandro MS Pro or Shure SE 310.

I am just back from lunch with a SE310... quite satisfied with it even though E500 was tempting.

anyone knows what is happening to echoloft? has the site moved? or closed down?

what do u use it on? CD player? I tested E500 but the sound improvement can't justify the value when used on ipod
i use it on a simple mp3 player :bsmilie:

went a big big big big round.. from head amps to portable amp... back to square one.. a good source, is all you need for a very efficient pair of earphones

anyways.. sharing my cute little bedroom set-up, mostly diyed.. very budget set-up..

anyone wants to guess.. the components? forgive me if it doesnt sound good..

http://www.desensitised.org/music.flv :p

you need the Flash Video codec to play it in media player :X http://www.playflv.com/

was recorded by my sony PNS's tiny mike.. forgive the highs.. they are terrible in the video

i use it on a simple mp3 player :bsmilie:

went a big big big big round.. from head amps to portable amp... back to square one.. a good source, is all you need for a very efficient pair of earphones

Yes, that's what I meant. ipod is ipod. It's anot a good CD player. MP3 format is still mp3 format. You cant expect mp3 format to be like CD or SACD even with the best headphone.

In fact I didnt set any budget. Just wanted to get the best value for $$. I ended up buying SE310 after testing E2c, E3c, E4c, E500, SE210 and UE Fi5Pro by comparing the soundquality/cost.

SE 310 presents a rather good cost/performance ratio. But my DT990 gets the most use. Comfort over SQ for me. When I have more money to play with, maybe I'll consider a tube amp + speaker setup.

hi all, i'm not really audiophile, listening to mp3s most of the time, would like to get a better sound card / amp/speakers though.

Now I'm using a P4 2.6c + soundblaster Live! (yes, its ancient),
directly into a Kenwood old multi-disk type of system. doubles as a radio as well.

I'm a little into guitar and stuff as well, I've a couple of shure mics, and a Yamaha MG10/2 simple mixer.

Plan is to get new sound card (thinking E-MU0404) at least.

What are the suggestions to get a decent set up? for basic recording, and playback etc + good quality enjoyment of MP3s + the ocassional CD (I'm quite lazy to keep changing discs).

Total budget ~$2k.

What happen to echoloft homepage these few days?

Cannot connect leh..?
:think:

Anyone tried Grado RS2 wih RA-1 amp?? Is it going to overkill if i use with my ipod?

Anyone tried Grado RS2 wih RA-1 amp?? Is it going to overkill if i use with my ipod?
get the RA-1 clone, its not difficult to get someone to make it for you, way cheaper than the original with similar or better parts, less the wooden casing.

i used to own a grado sr125 and have auditioned the RS1 before, whether its an overkill or underkill, its a matter or preference because i tested the RS1 on a portable source as well, and the mids, strings, and vocals were definitely distinct to that of a lower grado model. but eventually i quitted grado cuz i couldnt stand the coupling at least, it gives me a slight ear-ache everytime i listen, but thats subjected to individuals, and you could actually reduce that by using some different earpads etc

It is my turn:

Pioneer Inverted Stable Platter CD Transport + Theta Gen 3 DAC + AT&T fiber optics
Marantz CD63 KI
Thorens TD 160 MkII
Naim Audio NAIT
Audiolab 8000A + 8000P
Spendor S100
Spica TC-50
Straightwire Maestro RCA interconnect cables
Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables
Kimber Kable 8TC
XLO power cords
TICE power blocks
Grado SR125 and AKG 240
Headroom amps

Still lovin' them.

It is my turn:

Pioneer Inverted Stable Platter CD Transport + Theta Gen 3 DAC + AT&T fiber optics
Marantz CD63 KI
Thorens TD 160 MkII
Naim Audio NAIT
Audiolab 8000A + 8000P
Spendor S100
Spica TC-50
Kimber Kable 8TC
XLO power cords
TICE power blocks
Grado SR125 and AKG 240
Headroom amps

Still lovin' them.

Awww... you have the pioneer stable platter system & the CD63 Ki! Wicked!

How's the 8000A as a preamp? I'm contemplating getting the 8000C but i find if i get the 8000A, it'll be an overkill as it's an integrated with onboard amplification...

It is my turn:

Marantz CD63 KI
Thorens TD 160 MkII
Naim Audio NAIT
Audiolab 8000A + 8000P
Spendor S100
Spica TC-50
Kimber Kable 8TC
XLO power cords
TICE power blocks
Grado SR125 and AKG 240
Headroom amps

Still lovin' them.

Mine's simple and not too expensive.
Rotel RCD971 - Opamps originally OPA2604 changed to precision OPA2228.
Rotel RA931
Tannoy m1 + Tannoy r1 configured as symmetrical system

Yamaha MSP5 studio monitors
Behringer DSP8024 DEQ

the wadia is really good, i had a 860 for awhile.. but the emc1 is no slouch either la.

True, EMC1 is no slouch. And Wadia, @ that kind of price, it better be better than EMC1, else Wadia also out of the window. :bsmilie:

It is my turn:
Thorens TD 160 MkII

Which Pioneer PD? I have the PD-8700 and PD-S801

What cartridge are you running on your TD 160 Mk II? I'm running both the Shure M55E (for that retro sound) and the Shure V15 Type III.

Status
Not open for further replies.