how many audiophiles are photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange...

Looks as though its quite safe to go back to hunting for the EMC CD1 though i'm quite worried about laser problems - i understand they need to be replaced like a turntable's stylus.

Yeap, they're the sole agent for sonus faber, magnum dynalabs as well ...
Are they still bringing in stuff like Plinius, Transparent cable, Wilson Audio as well? Out of touch with the hifi scene for too long liao...:sweat:

Used to play hifi also lar, more of the entry to mid level stuff, dun have the budget for the super high end components....have a Denon/Arcam/Mission setup in my living room thats like > 10 yrs old.

Are they still bringing in stuff like Plinius, Transparent cable, Wilson Audio as well? Out of touch with the hifi scene for too long liao...:sweat:

Used to play hifi also lar, more of the entry to mid level stuff, dun have the budget for the super high end components....have a Denon/Arcam/Mission setup in my living room thats like > 10 yrs old.

Plinius - has gone to another company i think ... high end research mainly deals in Magnum Dynalabs and Sonus Faber .. only remembered i hung around their showroom to test the tuners and speakers - nearly kenna psychoed into buying.

Can't remember their whole range since i used to hang out with the boss's son. Haven't been in contact with him for quite some time now already :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the entry to mid level stuff are good enough. I have no intention to go high-end. The higher you go, the more difficult to match and implement. If you don't do it properly, it will sound worse. There's nothing worse than very high fidelity sound systems implemented badly... then it will become very clear, and glaringly wrong.

As such, it's easier and cheaper to aim for something that is budget friendly, but consequently less fidelity. There is really no need to hear every tiny detail even though that would be nice. There is no need to achieve exact reproduction because that would cost a bomb.

If you get a budget/mid range system sounding balanced and musical... it would already be immensely enjoyable. :)

There are suing philips pro laser unit.

Nothing more common ! Nothing to worry about !:dunno:

Strange...

Looks as though its quite safe to go back to hunting for the EMC CD1 though i'm quite worried about laser problems - i understand they need to be replaced like a turntable's stylus.

Yeap, they're the sole agent for sonus faber, magnum dynalabs as well ...

Used to own a Marantz CD63KI+McIntosh 6800+B&W Nautilus 805+don't know what stand+Transparent & Nordost biwired speaker cables+brandless interconnect that work better than my XLO.

Haven't been into it for a few years now.

Try this website for HT info and prices, lots of nice folks ;)
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=11.0
I usually go 1 round to explore the brands within my budget. After I narrow it down, I go to the shop to buy. In restrospect, the service was very bad. He should not have steered me away from the actual speakers I want. My guess is, he wants to sell the speakers at a higher margin, and since the ones he introduced to me had a lower cost, he could make a higher margin. :nono:

I was an audiophile before '91 but I gave up after having visited a recording studio and listened to their recordings. Now I have switched to pro audio coz the equipment are cheaper. :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: Hahaha... Similar experience.. ;p

:thumbsup: Hahaha... Similar experience.. ;p

I'm doing that with my combo right now ... using part pro part audiophile - result - i get the best of both worlds.

There are suing philips pro laser unit.

Nothing more common ! Nothing to worry about !:dunno:

:think: ... then my uncle was feeding me the wrong information :rolleyes:

He had the EMC CD1 and discouraged me from getting it.

Currently using a dated AMC CD6b... but it really rocks the socks off most CDP these days as its pretty revealing.

I wrote in to that S.K. Lee from Seng Heng. You know what? He absolutely twisted everything. He said that the prices I was quoted at the Katong Branch was for the display sets. But I know what I asked, and what I heard... They were for brand new sets, I was assured many times by the manager there.

So, if you want to buy things from Seng Heng, look for the right manager... because the prices and service can differ, like heaven and earth... :angry:

I seriously try to avoid stepping into their shop unless can't be helped. Nothing much they carry interests me either.

So far, only bought from them a TV stand for my CRT TV...

Caught the HI FI Fever arriving in Singapore. Bought and sold a lot of little rectangular boxes over the years.

Stopped for a while with the pregnancy of my wife.

But still have a room with :

Full Electrocompaniet system :

CD EMC1
DAC ECD1
PRE EC 4.7
Stage TT to line Electrocompaniet
POWER monoblocs AW 180 watts
Cassette deck NAKAMICHI
Headphones Stax Sigma Pro
Turntable VPI scout with special black lacquer finnish.
Speakers Infinity KAPPA 8 Brazilian Rose (Santos) Wood
Rack Coherence Audio (the one that holds the MBL).

Still looking for a MAgnum Dynalab tuner.

Still have for sale : Acoustic solid turntable.

Nowadays, just listen to background music and my two year old son singing. Did not find the courage to sell my unused HIFI set. :embrass:

i'm using a pair of infinities too, the IRS ones.. ;)

I am really not suggesting you get the emc 1. Enjoy what ever pleases your ear.:cool:

:think: ... then my uncle was feeding me the wrong information :rolleyes:

He had the EMC CD1 and discouraged me from getting it.

Currently using a dated AMC CD6b... but it really rocks the socks off most CDP these days as its pretty revealing.

huh ! Really ???? Can I come and drool all over your floor? :eek:

Seriously you are just teasing me right?:think:

And if you have what amps are driving them?

Also there are the Sigma, the IRS II or the mighty I?

i'm using a pair of infinities too, the IRS ones.. ;)

theres only 1 pair of IRS in singapore right..? are you that single owner in singapore!

I am really not suggesting you get the emc 1. Enjoy what ever pleases your ear.:cool:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I've already succumbed to the quality it produces (besides the gloss piano black simplistic front layout, the top loading, drawer style, the cute magnet clamping system) ...I brought my CDP to my uncle's place for a A vs B comparison ... I'm sold.

Just that its no longer found on market since its been discontinued.

huh ! Really ???? Can I come and drool all over your floor? :eek:

Seriously you are just teasing me right?:think:

And if you have what amps are driving them?

Also there are the Sigma, the IRS II or the mighty I?

aah.. nothing to drool about.. just old speakers from a generation ago

mine's the smaller one... the IRS IIb, 5 way speaker with 3 ribbon midranges and 3 ribbon highs and two 8" per chan. the IRS I was supposedly fine tuned based on the IRS IIb. the older IRS II had woofers for midranges than ribbons.

i had seen and heard the IRS I in singapore but the owner sold it to someone in penang already. he was driving his setup with a classe then. from what the owner said, there used to be 3 sets of the IRS I in singapore at least, but how many left as of now.. i've not much of an idea.

mine is a little old setup nothing much examplary nor high end, been driving them with a pair of old SAE hypersonic monoblocks but my dad picked up a pair of cheap 6550 monoblocs whilst i was away and they seem to be driving everything fine. :bsmilie:

theres only 1 pair of IRS in singapore right..? are you that single owner in singapore!

i dont know :bsmilie: for the big brother, the IRS I with 2 bass towers and 2 midrange ribbon towers that one used to have 3 sets according to an ex owner.. sold during the late 80s, very early 90s perhaps. maybe by now, if people never take care of the EMITs and the ribbon mids.. probably none left? :bsmilie: only seen one and heard one system, but that was sold to overseas years ago.

no infinity club in singapore i guess but i've never seen another pair of irs II running around though :dunno:;p

something tells me i should get back into this hobby and take over everything from my dad and optimize the speakers to the maximum but.. its just on and off for now, i'm busy with varsity, dad's busy with work, these speakers only blare once a month? :sweatsm:

I've a 1212m > HeadAmp Gilmore Lite V2 > A700/DT990 PRO here for my headphone rig. Speakers are basically a cheap Denon AV amp to 2 cheap Mission speakers, so it ain't much. For more serious speaker listening I can use my dads Cyrus 6 (or was it 8) vs > Monitor Audio RS6 (or was it 8), or the home theatre setup, some Pioneer AV amp > Wharfedale EVO-30

Status
Not open for further replies.