How many are using NASes as backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Earlier was looking through mass storage devices.

Wondering how many here are using NAS as your primary backup?

jsbn said:
Earlier was looking through mass storage devices.

Wondering how many here are using NAS as your primary backup?

i am. bought a Iomega Network hdd for my home use. now my kid's photos are in 3 places - DVD, laptop and hdd.

the setup for the iomega is a minor PITA, esp if u have a firewall running on ur PCs/Macs cos u need to tell the firewall to allow traffic to/fro from the hdd to PC.

Hmm... talking abt taking precautions on data crashes. :think:

Iomega Network HDD.... Guess I'll have to read on that first. So how are u getting along these days? :D

Using a NAS as well, as a central repository for applications and backups.

Waiting for a RAID NAS to be affordable than I use. ;p

CYRN said:
Waiting for a RAID NAS to be affordable than I use. ;p

Hmm ... now already quite affordable mar ... :think: I'm using an old machine with samba as a NAS.

jsbn said:
Hmm... talking abt taking precautions on data crashes. :think:

Iomega Network HDD.... Guess I'll have to read on that first. So how are u getting along these days? :D

still hanging in there... :)

there's a product by netgear being sold at funan - a very simple RAID NAS for windoze environment, IIRC. think u can go check it out?

if u dun mind more cruder products, im using a network ext hdd casing with my hdd. bought the network ext hdd casing from sls. $99 bucks haha. can do ftp-ing.

dEthANGeL said:
Hmm ... now already quite affordable mar ... :think: I'm using an old machine with samba as a NAS.
still cannot afford leh..
any cheaper options?

dr34mc4st3r said:
if u dun mind more cruder products, im using a network ext hdd casing with my hdd. bought the network ext hdd casing from sls. $99 bucks haha. can do ftp-ing.
Hmm... The casing's for just $99?! :bigeyes: Juz a single bay or am I looking at a multiple bay casing (like 3 bays)?

Hmm .. besides having an old P2-400 running as a NAS on linux... i've got an actual NAS which is based on the NSLU2 running unslung connected to 2 external housings.

Housing wise, depends on the type you're after - fan / without fan and the quality.

I'd recommend the Sarotech housing for build quality but be warned - these kind of NASes are not meant for 24/7 operation. If you're after 1 dedicated NAS, go for those dedicated 1 box type eg. Snazio Tera NAS HD Pro ... these have proper 80/60mm fans that cool the hard drives efficiently.

Pity. :( Looking for one that can take multiple bays.

Looking at the Terrastation by Buffalo (since I've got a Buffalo router, it makes things a little easier) that hits up to like 1TB!

jsbn said:
Pity. :( Looking for one that can take multiple bays.

Looking at the Terrastation by Buffalo (since I've got a Buffalo router, it makes things a little easier) that hits up to like 1TB!

Doesn't make any difference if you buy a NAS from another brand. They all talk to one another via TCP/IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.