How low do you go?

SeldomHere

Aug 7, 2010
Singapore
I am always looking out for different and interesting angles to take photos. I often crouch down to get a more interesting perspective, but being very tall, this brings me to about waist height for the shot.

Even though Singapore streets are super clean, I still struggle to lie down to take the shot, more because I worry I will look (more of) an idiot.

I am interested how others feel about getting down and how low you will go to get the shot?

Last edited:
I shoot to the extend that the camera is resting on the ground. But if your camera have the live view with tilting screen, it wouldn't be much of a problem. I'm using the a350 with tilting screen, no need lie on the ground.

Previously using a230 I sacrificed my shirt and lie on the ground to take the shot. I suggest bringing along some newspaper just incase you need to lie on the ground to take the shot. I've lied down in a lot of things; mud, grass, gravel.

Last edited:
30430_419998091693_566871693_5373590_7814819_n.jpg

not my lowest though ;p

to get this shot:

4611796008_b4a658b55b.jpg

another way is to place your cam on the floor, tilt upwards to the angle you want, then use live view + manual focus.

I am always looking out for different and interesting angles to take photos. I often crouch down to get a more interesting perspective, but being very tall, this brings me to about waist height for the shot.

Even though Singapore streets are super clean, I still struggle to lie down to take the shot, more because I worry I will look (more of) an idiot.

I am interested how others feel about getting down and how low you will go to get the shot?

Even if I need to prone, I will do so to get the shot I need...

I dun care what ppl view of me. Just as long as I get my shot.

rolling around on the ground, HAHA. i only do that when shooting cats though, the angle is nicer down at their level

just lie down la it's ok

Last edited:
Ok, definitely feeling better about laying in the dirt now ;p.

No tilt on LCD screen so options are laying down or laying down I guess.

Newspaper is a good idea to keep clean. I was thinking of getting a thick plastic or linen sheet and adding it to my already overweight kit bag, but newspaper sounds lighter and gives me something to read while I am on the ground waiting for the shot.

Newspaper is a good idea to keep clean. I was thinking of getting a thick plastic or linen sheet and adding it to my already overweight kit bag, but newspaper sounds lighter and gives me something to read while I am on the ground waiting for the shot.

i think if you lie down on newspaper you will dirty your clothes more leh... will turn black

i think if you lie down on newspaper you will dirty your clothes more leh... will turn black

Ahhh ... words of wisdom from someone more practical than me. My white linen shirts thank you!

Back to the sheet idea then for me.

Buy those big black trash bag! Easier to fold :D

SAM_2218.jpg

4833112814_1908c65de2_o.jpg

going low is more common than u think :bsmilie:

when u want the image ... getting dirty is a small inconvenience... sorry, i know how corny that sounds

Last edited:
usually when I go low, I will lie on my left side and shoot, holding camera normal position shots will become portrait orientation, when I need landscape orientation, all I need to do is holding the battery grip, the camera will be upside down if you see from standing position.

I find that I can shoot at this position very comfortable, will not suffer any backache, neck pain, arms fatigue.

That's why it's good to have a camera with a tilting LCD as a backup...

I usually rely on Live View, maybe I should try lying on the floor. All that bending over gives me a headache :)

If I need to get really low shots, I usually use a little judgement with trail and error and place my camera on the floor to get a shot.

It can be embarassing when I lie on the floor to get a shot in a crowded place. xD