How long

attitudee02

Apr 12, 2010
Hi.

A newbie here. Recently got a 550D. But wad i wanna know is that how long does it takes for fungi to grow in lens if i put it on my table without dry cabinet?

Intending to get one soon next week though.

how soon?? it really depends on the environment conditions...
I dont think there is any specific ans to that.

just buy ur dry box or dry cabinet ASAP... if it has been only a couple of weeks that you have left the camera on the table, i guess it is still ok (under normal room conditions)

If you take the lens and shoot with it everyday, the ever-present spores will not have a chance to take hold and grow. Or just gently work the lens aka zoom in and out and focus focus every day or alternate days and it will not likely grow.

You will hear of photographers who use their equipment every single day, and fungus has not grown for years.

I think put on table is rather fine...there's air circulation...

no answer to the time it takes to grow..
but they grow best in dark and damp environment.

if you use it frequent enough, u might not even need a dry cabinet.

I dont actually own a dry cabby cause i shoot everyday..So i just used normal tupperware and silicon gel...thats all...;)

two weeks? long enough for fungi to grow?

I don't think any of us study mold, but here's something for you to read.

How long does it take mold to grow?

To be more specific, we should ask, "How long does it take for a mold spore to germinate?" Then we should ask, "How long does it take growing mold to colonize?"

To grow, molds need a food source, a certain temperature and moisture. Where these conditions are present, molds can germinate and colonize. How fast growth occurs depends on the combination of conditions. Spores can germinate after only 12 hours in some conditions and some grow in 24 to 48 hours. Houses offer an ample food supply — drywall, wood, insulation, paper. When these materials become damp or wet, settled spores can become growing molds.

Molds may colonize in 1 to 12 days depending on the type of mold. Following are several types of molds and the number of days in which colonization may take place:

* Mucor sp. colonizes between 1 and 2 days.
* Rhizopus sp. colonizes between 1 and 2 days.
* Aspergillus sp. colonizes between 2 and 3 days.
* Penicillium sp. colonizes between 2 and 3 days.
* Stachybotrys chartarum colonizes between 8 and 12 days.

http://www.quick-response-restoration.com/faqtips.html

thx. so i guessed if i put it on the table and play ard with it everyday, try out some shoots. it will kinda prevent growth of fungi right?

Hi.

A newbie here. Recently got a 550D. But wad i wanna know is that how long does it takes for fungi to grow in lens if i put it on my table without dry cabinet?

Intending to get one soon next week though.

depends on your luck.

next week should be fine. i won't worry too mcuh about it, just take your camera out for a spin to keep the air moving. ;p