how long would u keep ur film slr

Status
Not open for further replies.

pol

Dec 9, 2004
in d world of fotography
hi guys, we all know tat dslr is going to take over the photography market in d near future. very soon we will see less equipment/film choices for film user. :( will like to find out how long do u intend to keep film slr??

pol said:
hi guys, we all know tat dslr is going to take over the photography market in d near future. very soon we will see less equipment/film choices for film user. :( will like to find out how long do u intend to keep film slr??

DSLR is going to take over the photography market in the near future? What gives you the idea?

blurblock said:
DSLR is going to take over the photography market in the near future? What gives you the idea?

Oh, probably the closing down of Ilford, the sales percentage shift at Kodak from film to digital...maybe the future, but not the *near* future :think:

I think poor management got nothing to do with film being pharsed out. Especially since Fuji and Agfa is coming out with new flims.

Iford has poor management and emphasis too much on their strong point of Black and White film, neglacting the other areas. Kodak is earning tons of money by selling patent on digital technology to camera makers thus shifting their centre of investment, I see nothing wrong with that. Fuji, however, is gaining on market which Kodak given up and still improving technology of films. If this carry on, chances are one day ISO 1600 films make by fuji will achieve grain capability of ISO400 and even ISO200.

There was a saying 100 years ago, 35mm film will phase out Medium format photography ...... 100 years later, Medium format is still around.

blurblock said:
There was a saying 100 years ago, 35mm film will phase out Medium format photography ...... 100 years later, Medium format is still around.

Meanwhile, turntables and vinyl records are still around in spite of CDs and MP3 -- and they still sound far superior to the newer technologies.

blurblock said:

I love the instant feedback of digital, and this feature alone rekindled my love for this hobby and have improved my very meagre skills. So I personally would want digital to reach that level where the results are 'filmlike' and can be THE replacement for film.

Be that as it may, digital isn't still there yet ( and many users like me are like the obnoxious backseat children asking if they're there yet). So in response to the op's question, I'm keeping my FM3a and FM10 til they belly up and die. There are still days I love to shoot slides :lovegrin:

pol said:
As long as slides still continue to give me the kicks, and b/w negatives still rocks.. :)

pol said:

I'll keep on using film SLR's as long as my clients keep on asking for film based work. From what I've seen here in Perth there is no real slow down in film usage in the wedding and advertising (small image) sectors of professional photography. Digital has made far more impact on sports, the press and commercial product shooting at the present.

In the amateur realm it seems that digital is a mixed bag, I know quite a few folks locally who moved to digital and then back to film as they don't have the time nor the ability / inclination to spend hours post processing digital images.

pol said:

Take over is unlikely loh. Maybe less ppl using. But as long as there is still a market, manufacturers will still support loh. There will always be people who prefer antique... haha :bsmilie:
I believe film still have some quality that digital technology can' replace.
But there might be a possibility that film price and developing price will go up. :(

cy_j said:
Oh, probably the closing down of Ilford, the sales percentage shift at Kodak from film to digital...maybe the future, but not the *near* future :think:

Hi

in case u're not updated, Ilford has already come out of receivership. in other words, they are now more or less back on their feet :) I don't have the link at hand - it was reported at one of the photo news site...

so no, they are not closing down anytime soon!

I still like to take pic with film.

Fuji has a new iso 400 True Definition coming in mid year and I look forward to it.

As for slr camera, I am looking forward to a pro model.

pol said:
will like to find out how long do u intend to keep film slr??

For many years to come, that will be with the Nikon F6 I have just purchased and the Hassy I will be getting in a couple of weeks :D

RichardSeah said:
Meanwhile, turntables and vinyl records are still around in spite of CDs and MP3 -- and they still sound far superior to the newer technologies.

yeah well i'm SURE..... that sounds like the heart speaking rather than the head :)

Don't get me wrong - i still shoot film. in fact, with the exception of work, my personal work are all on film (but it's also partly due to the fact my film bodies are far more pleasurable to use and the lenses visibly better... and hence the results, more satisfying....).

but my point is even if film is still available, will it be available in the varieties that I like? I only shoot specific films now, mainly Kodak's slide offerings (E100VS, E200), Kodak's Tri-X for black and white and Fuji's Press 800 for negatives. I guess i can still stomach the rising cost of film, and probably willing to pay to have it shipped from some Eastern European country or from some remote village of China in future, but will it still be say, the good old Tri-X, or E100VS, or Press 800 etc? Or will it be film, but film reduced to a common denominator of home made emulsion which no longer possess any of the qualities of film that we still enjoy now?

I don't know which is worse, film being completely gone, or being forced to pay skyhigh prices for film reduced to a common "kodak max" look......

Instant feedback is like fast food. It is useful and we might need it sometime but not all the time. They are many still enjoy queuing for a plate of famous char quay tiao or sit in a comfortable resturant chating and drinking kungfu tea while waiting for their food to be serve :)

yah loh. very sad hor. seem like in future buying a 35mm film is like buying a medium format film nowsdays. :cry:

unless nikon comes out with a full frame dslr, i will continue to use my film.... the 1.5x crop factor makes my wide angle lenses unless. ;p

pol said:
yah loh. very sad hor. seem like in future buying a 35mm film is like buying a medium format film nowsdays. :cry:

I dun think this will happen. When there is supply, there is alot of demand. Medium format is less versatile as 35mm. The reason why manufacturers dun want to invest in film hardware is that there is not much money to make. The technology is so matured and modern slr dun really give something ontop of old model to existing users wanting to upgrade. Digital is new and there is alot more to R&D and improvement. So more money to spend on it and alot more opportunity to make money.

A FM2 compare to F6, same film *same setting* produce the same result since then len and the film is the technical thing that make the picture. Same len different body for digital have more factor that contribute to the end result.

There is zero reason to make new P&S film camera too. It is wise for Kodak and Konica to reduce overhead for R&D on film. How much improvement can they achieve? Probably not much. More then 90% of sales for consumer P&S cameras now are digital. Anyway it is point and shoot nothing more.

SLR or DSLR a matter of taste and need for more serious users. With consumer sales which is more of P&S added to new DSLR sales, obviously there is alot of sales going on. Most of users on film are still using model made in 90's, some 80's and like me even 70's. With no upgrades no sales...

Koycera is a large enterprise, the unit making contax is only a small unit. It make business sense to be a parts supplier for other camera manufacturers then to build their own. They might design higher end camera and get a OEM to build it. May be cheaper too.

Sometime decision ontop depends on who is the boss now. Nothing right or wrong. Sad thing is that Contax has rich history and they invented the concept of model slr.

There is also a poll here not too long ago, dslr user doesn't make up to the majority here. Also there is nothing to talk about film camera, what is new? nothing is new for film.

whoelse said:
Instant feedback is like fast food. It is useful and we might need it sometime but not all the time. They are many still enjoy queuing for a plate of famous char quay tiao or sit in a comfortable resturant chating and drinking kungfu tea while waiting for their food to be serve :)

Well, not really, for me at least. The instant histogram feedback has helped me a lot, specially when shooting landscapes and the sun is either on its last legs or just getting up. If I "wait and sip tea" (wait for developed film) I'd have completely lost that photo-op. Saved me so many times already.

Not to mention the ability to reframe immediately when I don't like the shot I just took. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll prob keep using film til the day i stop photographing altogether i guess...
film still has its advantages and so does digital~

Instant histogram = instant noodle? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.