How long will you keep your camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
How long will you keep your camera before selling it off? (especially digital camera owners)

Or would you not bother selling it even?

Tot of selling.

Looking at the resale price for my CP5700... I'm better off keeping it and use it to it's full value... 5MP still can go a pretty long way discounting the technological advancement.

But most likely will end up being my backup for a DSLR.

My EOS film camera has been with me a while. It serves my purposes. Don't think I will sell it unless it dies. As for the Kodak digicam I once owned, the original owner bought it for $1500, I paid him $500 for it after 8 months, and I sold it after a couple of years for a whopping $100 including batteries, charger and USB card reader! Digicams are a waste of money for my purposes :)

Film user here... :)

I haven't found the need to sell my old cameras. I still use them, especially when I go to China. It helps to have 2 or 3 cameras loaded with different films (slide, colour print and b&w). Sure, it's heavy. :bsmilie:

For digital cameras, I find the current situation too volatile. the megapixel war is hotting up and today's latest 5 MP will be tomorrow's small fry.

I guess, it really boils down to how much u expect out of your digital camera. If you want to take simple shots, stick with a 3.2 or 5MP will be just fine. If you want to provide commercial material to publishers, you might want to get those 11MP behemoths.

If you are upgrading the digital cameras, selling the older camera (smaller MP) is really sad. Prices will be so so bad, you'll probably end up keeping them.

Me? I'm sticking with film. :bsmilie: No worries about resale value... especially the manual cameras I have. :D

Pure digital user.

My previous digicam gave out after giving me 3 years of faitful and dedicated service. The battery compartment broke after I made the mistake of lending to a friend to use. Sold it (yes, sold it...) for $100/- to a chap who simply must own my previous Coolpix 950...

Since Aug 02, have become proud owner of a CP4500. And since it serves all my needs in commercial production very suitably, it'll stay with me. I opted for this after trying out my friend's S1 Pro and decided that 4MP is good enough + swivel lens. A lot of my pix using 2MP CP950 are visible in some parts of Sg..... large 3-storey prints, and the like....

Originally posted by Azure
Pure digital user.

A lot of my pix using 2MP CP950 are visible in some parts of Sg..... large 3-storey prints, and the like....

How did you do that? I've got prob getting my 5MP to 36x24 size.

Originally posted by VincentLin
Me? I'm sticking with film. :bsmilie: No worries about resale value... especially the manual cameras I have. :D [/B]

Wise choice ! :thumbsup:

I guess the mega pixel war will not be over for at least 2-3 years. By then if the MP is comparable to 35mm film (14 MP) then I'll switch to DSLR, provided the price of DSLR also comes down to < $2K. :D

Meanwhile I m happy with my film camera. Both 35mm and medium format. :bsmilie:

What price for convenience, eh? Frankly, I love digital. But yah, it's really expensive. Think about it, last time casual snapshooters would typically spend $300++ on quite a well specified compact camera. Anything more than $500 was considered expensive.

Originally posted by sehsuan
where can we take a look? :)
Sehsuan & CYRN -
Yes, Gan Eng Seng School (at Henderson Road) entrance foyer has 10 of them. 60cms wide and 3 storeys high. The largest of the digital pix is 1.3x life size. But some have been intentionally edged out or soft-filtered. I think they also have 2-3 more somewhere around their arena (circular parade sq). Some CP950, some CP995. If anyone has their Official Opening souvenir mag, everything on Pg 7 onwards are ALL digital pix.

Another is Evergreen Secondary in Woodlands. This one is visible when drive by the school. It's outdoor. The kids were taken on S1 Pro and CP950. There is also ACS (Junior). But this one's somewhere inside the school grounds.

Elsewhere, I've got smaller 4ft x 4ft variants... :)

/show-off me/:embrass:

where got show off, azure? good mar, your works are used in the open, means you got standard :thumbsup:

but travel all the way there just to see? :p

A40 user for almost 2 months.
Might upgrade to prosumer or film SLR end of year or latest next midyear.
But will keep the A40 as backup (by then A40 maybe worth less than $100?) Or can give my gf to keep and play.
Not intending to chase after the MP trend..i'll get what i need, a 2MP DC will suffice presently.
If I do need to blowup my pix to larger sizes, by that time, I'll have my film SLR then and so can blow up to any bigger size that i want.

My first cam was a olympus zoom P&S 35mm film, still using it now and then, sell also can't get much, might as well keep it as backup

I spent my savings to own a camera, I hope it would be the last time I bought. he..he..he,..:D

Cheers.:cool:

Does Aiptek pencam count as "digital camera" :bsmilie:

;p I used the cheapo Aiptek pencam, then Prolink DC526, and then Mustek (sux!) DC3000... all lousy ones. Now feel that I shouldn't have neglected my Canon EOS888 over the years.....

Will continue using it until its EOS (end of service). ;p

Will probably get a DSLR below $2k when time is ripe.

I usually don't sell my camera unless I feel a strong urge to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.