How long will you charge your new Nikon EN-EL3e Batteries

How long will you charge your new Nikon EN-EL3e Batteries

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
photogene said:
For Lithium battery like EN-EL#, there's no need to charge 8 hrs like those salesman said. They just pass info down without logic. Lithium is not Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd) & Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) where they suffer from memory effect. NiCd is the worst.

However, overcharging EN-EL# will damage the battery, causing overheat and even explode. Hence once the blinking light stops after an hr or 2, just remove the battery.:)
but isn't mobile phone batteries Lithium as well?

I do a search and see if i can get some info from Nikon, since it is their product

photogene said:
For Lithium battery like EN-EL#, there's no need to charge 8 hrs like those salesman said. They just pass info down without logic. Lithium is not Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd) & Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) where they suffer from memory effect. NiCd is the worst.

However, overcharging EN-EL# will damage the battery, causing overheat and even explode. Hence once the blinking light stops after an hr or 2, just remove the battery.:)

I just went for a seminar on battery technology last week... Learnt that when you overcharge a Li-Ion cell, it produces heat and oxygen... Not a good mix... Also did you know that if you drain a Li-Ion cell (i.e. let it run flat), you'll damage the battery? The elements in the battery will breakdown and will no longer take part in any chemical reaction rendering the capacity permanently lower...

raid said:
I just went for a seminar on battery technology last week... Learnt that when you overcharge a Li-Ion cell, it produces heat and oxygen... Not a good mix... Also did you know that if you drain a Li-Ion cell (i.e. let it run flat), you'll damage the battery? The elements in the battery will breakdown and will no longer take part in any chemical reaction rendering the capacity permanently lower...
But, what happend if you left half empty (or half full) Li-ION not in the Camera?

Will li-ION have self discharge which is leading to empty Li-ION?

And, if you left full Li-ION on the camera (and never used it) for say 6 months, will the camera (and maybe battery self discharge) emptied the li_ION?

Need gurus to enlighten us. Thanks!

Regards,
Arto.

Q: My new battery doesn't hold a charge?

A: Sometimes when a battery is inactive for a long period of time, the cells inside become dormant and need to be "jump-started". We recommend that you cycle charge the battery by fully discharging the battery and then completely recharging it (repeat this 3-times). This should recondition the battery and bring it back to normal operational status.

Q: My battery is only a year or two old and it no longer holds a charge?

A: People who exercise will live longer, so will batteries. Even if you only use your rechargeable battery a few times a year you should recharge it every few months to keep the battery chemistry active. We recommend that you cycle charge the battery by fully discharging the battery and then completely recharging it (repeat this 3-times). This should recondition the battery and bring it back to normal operational status.

Artosoft said:
But, what happend if you left half empty (or half full) Li-ION not in the Camera?

Will li-ION have self discharge which is leading to empty Li-ION?

And, if you left full Li-ION on the camera (and never used it) for say 6 months, will the camera (and maybe battery self discharge) emptied the li_ION?

Refer here.. http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/Li_Ion_reconstruct/

Notice that the Self-Discharge Rate per month is very low compared to NiCd and NiMH... It's probably take 20 months for a fully charged battery to drain itself completely if not connected to anything.

Of course if you leave the battery in the camera. The battery would discharge faster since it is self-discharging and supplying power to the camera's realtime-clock, LCD, etc... But the standby/off power consumption should be very very low for our cameras lah...

Status
Not open for further replies.