How long to charge the battery for the first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
If its the first time, do I need to charge it like for 6 or 8 hours like what we do for hand phones?

Or the recommended 2hrs 15mins can liao?

Thanx.

Most often I heard is 24 hrs, or at least overnight.

For lithium, the charger will cut the charge current off once the battery is full. So no matter its 6 or 24 hrs, after it is full the charger is doing nuthing.

But one thing I find interesting is that even if charge until cut off, if you un-plug and plug in immediately, it will still continue charging. On some devices, I can un-plug and re-plug for many times until re-plug stops charging at all. That's when I know it's totally full, or very very close to it.

For lithium-ion batteries, most of them are packaged together with a protection circuit board. You will need to strip open the battery "casing" to be able to see it. The protection circuit is included to prevent over charging. When a certain pre-set charge level is reached, the protection circuit will cut off charging to prevent damage to the lithium-ion cells. Over charging can cause the lithium-ion battery cells to explode.

You have been hearing mobile phone sales staff telling you to charge your phone for XX number of hours before use. I wonder where they get this information from and what is reason for doing so. I have flipped through my nokia phone user guide and i could not find any instructions telling me that initial battery charge has to be xx number of hours. There seems to be no technical bases for this advice.

The good thing about lithium-ion batteries is, unlike NiCad batteries they do not suffer from "memory effect".

So, for lithium-ion batteries, when the display says its fully charged.......its fully charged. Unplug it and start using.

aiya, dun let the blind leads the blind...those handphone sellers dun know anything one. Modern batteries are Lithium Ion, NOT Nickel metal hydribe.

The charger will definitely stopped charging after the manufacturer's recommended hours. The light is off, the batt is cold, how can it still be charging after that? Leave 12 hours for wat?????

us your blain..use your blain;p

aiya, dun let the blind leads the blind...those handphone sellers dun know anything one. Modern batteries are Lithium Ion, NOT Nickel metal hydribe.

The charger will definitely stopped charging after the manufacturer's recommended hours. The light is off, the batt is cold, how can it still be charging after that? Leave 12 hours for wat?????

us your blain..use your blain;p

Good point. :thumbsup:

Hello all,

I have a problem i just bought a 3rd party battery for 450D.
However i tried to charge it and its now already 10 hours plus and its still Red Light.

help help!!

that sounds unfortunate.
try removing the battery and using it on your camera. Does the battery meter show full charge? If yes, do try to use this battery heavily, and then see if the charging is normal from the second time onwards.

* if you find that after few hours charging, the red light doesn't go off, but the charge inside can sustain for few hundred shots, then it's not really a big deal. Don't get so worked up over a little red LED light ;)

that sounds unfortunate.
try removing the battery and using it on your camera. Does the battery meter show full charge? If yes, do try to use this battery heavily, and then see if the charging is normal from the second time onwards.

* if you find that after few hours charging, the red light doesn't go off, but the charge inside can sustain for few hundred shots, then it's not really a big deal. Don't get so worked up over a little red LED light ;)

Thanks for the advice bro.
Just kinda disturbed by it.

I will try it out... tommorrow i will be going overseas for my holidays, just hope the battery wont fail me ... hee...

Status
Not open for further replies.