How long should films be left undeveloped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi2

Deregistered
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Harlow... I just want to get some opinions about the above subject. Right now, I'm in Toronto, Canada. I've taken a couple of rolls and wonder if it's ok if I keep them till I come back to Singapore in about 2 weeks' time.

I know it's always best to develop it promptly once the film has been exposed. But is 2-3 weeks a reasonable wait? In the meantime, should I keep the exposed films in the fridge? Heard b4 that this is not good.

The reason why I want to wait is that I find it hard to trust the photo stores here! I've got a bad experience with a ruined slide which I believe was totally the shop's fault and recently, I noticed from another shop (supposedly pro lab) my negatives were cut right at the edge!!! :what: :what: So I don't want to risk anymore such shoddy work. (To be honest, I miss the pro labs in Singapore...Really appreciate them now.)

The only "fears" I have right now is that I have to wait for 2-3 weeks and I must of course let my films pass through the X-ray custom check. (I've done it several times in the past without any harm but you know, it's just a photographer's paranoia syndrome!) After 911, it's almost impossible to request for hand inspection of films anymore, especially in the US where I'll be in transit!!

I'm using Provia 100 and Reala... Thanks for any advice!!!

2-3 weeks should not be a problem. Otherwise those people who backpack 2-3 months on a photography trip would be in trouble. Whatever you do, don't check in the film.

Regards
CK

Professional films are tailored with their own unique characteristics and are meant (or by right) to "consume" asap for optimal result. The trade off is their shelf life is shortened, hence they have to be preserved/refrigerated at all time when not in use.

But then, I have had my velvia in my camera for as long as 2 months! The thing is my velvia is professional but I am not ... ;p

Originally posted by ckiang
2-3 weeks should not be a problem. Otherwise those people who backpack 2-3 months on a photography trip would be in trouble. Whatever you do, don't check in the film.

Regards
CK

CK, wanna see how my Ilford HP5 400 will turn out?
Undeveloped since 1987. ;p

Thanks. :) I really would love to develop it asap here but it's not worth taking any more risks. Can't go back to take those shots any more.

From my experience, try not to keep the exposed film for more than a week. I used to keep a EktaChrome slide for 1 year and the output looks yellowish after I develop it. Of course, unless that's what's the effect u r after.
During my backpack trips, I normally would accumulate 2 to 3 rolls of films and then develop it at the city that I will stay longer say 3 days. Most photo shop have servce that develop it over night. No prints though. After I come back to Singapore, I'll then send to my photo shop to develop.

This is particularly good if ur hopping around many countries. Imagine the number of rounds of X Ray that u have your film through, u may run the risk of getting some unexpected results when u come back to develop. This is esp for high speed / ISO films.

Works for me.

Hi jcryan55,

Ermmm, so is it 1 year or 1 week based on your experience?

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, it's not so much the prints...I don't want to risk my negatives being mishandled. Like scratches and being cut at the edges! Yup, it happened to me over here in toronto.

a little OT, but just wondering whether Digital Cameras suffer any 'side effects" from going thru the x ray machines? Any goof ups to the CCD or electronics or anything?

Shouldn't be a problem with digicams. Not that I know of or heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.