How long is Nikkor lense warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuySell

Mar 20, 2008
Hi, i been wondering exactly how long is Nikkor Lenses warranty period? In SG is 1 year, but why do other countries have 5 years warranty for Nikkor Lenses?

If i get the 5 years warranty will it be avabilable for service and repair in SG?

Thanks

read the fine print for the 5 years. Might just be like Hardly Normal. Standard warranty is 1 year global.

Hi, i been wondering exactly how long is Nikkor Lenses warranty period? In SG is 1 year, but why do other countries have 5 years warranty for Nikkor Lenses?

If i get the 5 years warranty will it be avabilable for service and repair in SG?

Thanks

Hmmmm....

Those are usually extended warranties offered by the shop/distributor that sells/distributes the lenses. In cases like in Canada, Nikon's regional office in Canada offers extended warranties, BUT only on lenses/equipment sold in Canada and serviced in Canada.

For example: http://www.nikon.ca/about/warranty.asp

Nikon SG should consider doing the same but I guess they are afraid because of the way we tend to "abuse" the system, like having unfilled warranties or undated receipts etc, etc. :bsmilie: Just imagine, 5-year lens warranty unofficially becoming 7-year warranty.

_

deadpixel said:
Nikon SG should consider doing the same but I guess they are afraid because of the way we tend to "abuse" the system, like having unfilled warranties or undated receipts etc, etc. Just imagine, 5-year lens warranty unofficially becoming 7-year warranty.

Do you mean to say that we are now enjoying 3yrs warranty over the current official 1yr warranty??? Ouch! :nono:

The US and CA market has a 5yrs warranty is partly due to the strong Consumer Protection Policy their Goverment adopted. Given a choice, I believe neither Canon nor Nikon would want to offer 5yrs warranty not to mention they even have a 30Days Money back guarantee.

Imagine if you needed a AFS70-200VR f/2.8G for some job. All you need is just go to a shop, pays for 1 and later return after the job cursing and swearing that the lens 'sucks' and demand a Money Back under the policy. :bsmilie: Stand in the shoe of the retailer/manufacturer and think it over. :) And you sure only Singaporean or Asian will abuse this system but the 'Ang Mo' are more 'gentleman'??? With the recent inflation faced worldwide, you can be assured that this system will be abused in one way or another!

for ur info... unfilled warranties are just a myth. the shops usually send info of the sold item to Nikon. so it doesnt really matter if u fill in or not.

for ur info... unfilled warranties are just a myth. the shops usually send info of the sold item to Nikon. so it doesnt really matter if u fill in or not.

That's right, USUALLY being the operative word.

So how's this for a Big-Foot sighting ... I have encountered users who keep their warranties unfiled and get the shops to issue undated receipts so that when they need to do a warranty claim after the year is over, they then fill in the details of the warranty and a date on the receipt that puts them within a few days of the warranty's expiration date.

Unethical yes, but practised all the same.

_

i know its does happen. but reputable shops dun do tis. i normally get my lens from good stores like lord's or CP anyway.

i think there are many sellers in BnS saying that their lens have unfilled warranty when it may not mean anything. and gullible buyers that dun know this actually tot dat they are buying items wif full warranty.

i know its does happen. but reputable shops dun do tis. i normally get my lens from good stores like lord's or CP anyway.

i think there are many sellers in BnS saying that their lens have unfilled warranty when it may not mean anything. and gullible buyers that dun know this actually tot dat they are buying items wif full warranty.

Yep, an unfilled warranty without a receipt for Nikon products won't get you anywhere. They'll just do one of two things, either:

1. Check the item's serial number against their database of approximate distribution date

or, if the product is very new in the market,

2. Use the date of release into SG's market of the item.

In either case, if we produce a dated receipt as prove, they would then update the warranty database.

_

hi guys,im kinda of a newbie in DSLR here.got my D80 at the recent IT show,its was kinda of a 50-50 investment cz i was initially eyeing on the D40x/D60 as the price range was in my entry level budget and i didnt kind of felt easy on the idea of overspending 700bux more.but 1mth dwn the road nw,i thked my gd buddy fer 'psychoing' me to choose the upgrade(within 10mins wen i was abt to grab the D60).lolx...ive seen nikkor lenses on sale in websites such as Amazon and found them to be much2 cheaper in terms of price wise..my question is,IF i decided to get one from such sites,or asked my fren to get me one during his overseas trips,will the warranty be valid here in SG?kinda lost as which has local warranty n global warranty..thx fer takin tyme readin my beginners enquiry...:) cheers guys

hi guys,im kinda of a newbie in DSLR here.got my D80 at the recent IT show,its was kinda of a 50-50 investment cz i was initially eyeing on the D40x/D60 as the price range was in my entry level budget and i didnt kind of felt easy on the idea of overspending 700bux more.but 1mth dwn the road nw,i thked my gd buddy fer 'psychoing' me to choose the upgrade(within 10mins wen i was abt to grab the D60).lolx...ive seen nikkor lenses on sale in websites such as Amazon and found them to be much2 cheaper in terms of price wise..my question is,IF i decided to get one from such sites,or asked my fren to get me one during his overseas trips,will the warranty be valid here in SG?kinda lost as which has local warranty n global warranty..thx fer takin tyme readin my beginners enquiry...:) cheers guys

You will have global (international) warranty for your lenses and flashes, so long as they are not "grey" or "imported" sets, but warranty for the DSLR body will be covered in the country of purchase.

You will have global (international) warranty for your lenses and flashes, so long as they are not "grey" or "imported" sets, but warranty for the DSLR body will be covered in the country of purchase.

hmmm...how do u define 'imported' sets?..tis is quite a valuable piece of information u gv me,thx u! ;)

hmmm...how do u define 'imported' sets?..tis is quite a valuable piece of information u gv me,thx u! ;)

"Imported" or "Grey" sets are those that have been brought in by the shop, not the authorized distributor/agent, at significantly lower costs when compared to those from the authorized sources. These sets would be WITHOUT official warranties from Nikon (the yellow warranty papers) so the shop themselves, would offer you their own warranty, which could be anything from a year to 5 years.

What this means is that if you bought an "imported" lens from B&H, you'd have to send the lens back to them if you wanted a free repair. If you sent it in to Nikon, you'd be charged for the repairs, even if the shop's warranty was still valid.

_

"Imported" or "Grey" sets are those that have been brought in by the shop, not the authorized distributor/agent, at significantly lower costs when compared to those from the authorized sources. These sets would be WITHOUT official warranties from Nikon (the yellow warranty papers) so the shop themselves, would offer you their own warranty, which could be anything from a year to 5 years.

What this means is that if you bought an "imported" lens from B&H, you'd have to send the lens back to them if you wanted a free repair. If you sent it in to Nikon, you'd be charged for the repairs, even if the shop's warranty was still valid.

_
oh k thank you very much fer the detailed explaination..will take note of it...:D cheers

btw anyone noes hw much is the current market price of AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens in SG,and which shop wud probably be the best bet to check it out?...my fren wud only be in hk nxt wk and i doubt he wud be back in time to SG b4 i go off for my genting trip..catchin the Dreamz show there,wana try attempt a feat at snappin the white tiger n white lion lolx...

Yep, an unfilled warranty without a receipt for Nikon products won't get you anywhere. They'll just do one of two things, either:

1. Check the item's serial number against their database of approximate distribution date

or, if the product is very new in the market,

2. Use the date of release into SG's market of the item.

In either case, if we produce a dated receipt as prove, they would then update the warranty database.

_

I sent in my cam & flash 2 weeks ago to NSC for some servicing..
Saw notice placed at the 3 counter saying that warranty will base on the purchase
date on the receipt/invoice. If no receipt/invoice, they will base on the ship out date
of the equipment using the serial number.

BTW, they just photocopy my unfilled warranty card with the dated receipt for
they record keeping. I was not ask to fill in the blank warranty card.

Status
Not open for further replies.