How long have you been into photography?

Since how long have you been into photography seriously? (As of Mar 2006)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis said:
Haha category falls into more than 25 years but that means still trying to understand histogram, CCD, CMOS, Bending, curves, SWM, VR, new software etc etc. Don't know when will end leh
The beauty of technology.. It will never end.. as long as the human race never ends.

fell in love with photography since i was pri 2 and got my hands on my 1st film cam...

lets see.. about 15 yrs but still a freaking newbie... :bsmilie:

only started to get serious when i got my eos 88 about 5-6 yrs back.. just changed to digital last yr too.. :bsmilie: just realized that me and philiptan almost the same.. like photography for a while but only serious a few yrs back.. i got mine digital in feb 05, just slightly over a yr..lolx

I am glad that CSers are mostly experienced shifus.. I feel like got a lot to learn hehe..

My dad's a Canongrapher.. but I don't really know how to play around with his film camera and lenses...

~Arcanic~ said:
fell in love with photography since i was pri 2 and got my hands on my 1st film cam...

lets see.. about 15 yrs but still a freaking newbie... :bsmilie:

only started to get serious when i got my eos 88 about 5-6 yrs back.. just changed to digital last yr too.. :bsmilie: just realized that me and philiptan almost the same.. like photography for a while but only serious a few yrs back.. i got mine digital in feb 05, just slightly over a yr..lolx

Ya hor... very similar... :) But your pics very much nicer than mine. :D

Snoweagle said:
Technology never ceases to improve itself. :)

If only the human race is greatly and constantly aware that
technology is created by no other species on earth, then man
should be constantly never think of ceasing to improve himself
even when he can live till 105 years old.

-----------------------
To think of it how many photographers can live past
100 years and till carrying his camera shooting? :think:

forward said:
If only the human race is greatly and constantly aware that
technology is created by no other species on earth, then man
should be constantly never think of ceasing to improve himself
even when he can live till 105 years old.

-----------------------
To think of it how many photographers can live past
100 years and till carrying his camera shooting? :think:

:bsmilie: Agree!

Unfortunately many folks out there refused to start learning
to use the computer and make use of the technology offered
making excuses that they are too old to learn. One reason
given was the broadband service is expensive and they know
nuts about handling the keyboard.

Mind you these elderly and healthy men are only in their
early 50s. Refused to learn because they are ignornant that
Technology never will ceased and they have to catch up!

forward said:
Unfortunately many folks out there refused to start learning
to use the computer and make use of the technology offered
making excuses that they are too old to learn. One reason
given was the broadband service is expensive and they know
nuts about handling the keyboard.

Mind you these elderly and healthy men are only in their
early 50s. Refused to learn because they are ignornant that
Technology never will ceased and they have to catch up!
My dad is in his early 60s and he surfs the web. :) It's partly how willing they are to learn and how patient the young ones are to teach them how to use it.

I've been into photography crapping for a few years now... :embrass:

lsisaxon said:
Hey, those who have been in photography longer doesn't mean that they are better. Everyone is still learning. My dad was my shifu, taught me darkroom back then, now I'm trying to teach him some digital image manipulation. 10 years back he envisage that photos should be edited on PCs and not spending so much time groping in the dark, (no red light because we did colour). :) Now it has come true..
photography is an art, and art is subjective. one man's food may be another man's poison.

i still remember my v 1st cam. a kodak, its a PNS with a 4 sided disposable flash.

I have NEVER been interested in technology for itself.

I have absolutely no interest playing catching up.

I use technology where it suits me. I use computers where they make things easier. I have never seen computers making people smarter. Quality of writing have not improved because computers make writing easier.

In photography, I stick to my old-fashion ways of doing films and darkroom. When I look at images here, I ask myself, how much of the images were better because of technology? Because of digital equipment? There are more gimmicks. But improve and better imageries? Nah!

Please! Give me a break!

I am more interested in the quality of the human mind. I am a lot more interested in developing the person- that something God-given. Technology improving the person?

NO! Life improves the person. And life exists beautifully independently apart from technology.

Those people who refused to "catch-up" may be wiser than you thought!

Ignorance? YES!

Ignorance of youth!

But it should not matter and does not matter, if technology, catching up with technology, be part of the cutting edge of technology ... as long as the image created is what you intended to create ... and satisfy what you wanted to show ...

You could have taken the picture with my old Mamiya 6 or a 1dsmk2 ... you could have developed the negatives and printed the b&w print in your darkroom or with your newest 8 color inkjet printer after you had processed the raw file usling the latest software and the fastest computer. Does it matter how you did it and what you used, as long as you got the picture you want?

For old timers, some changed with time and technology, some stayed. This decision alone has absolutely no baring if they are good or not so good photographer!

student said:
I have NEVER been interested in technology for itself.

I have absolutely no interest playing catching up.

I use technology where it suits me. I use computers where they make things easier. I have never seen computers making people smarter. Quality of writing have not improved because computers make writing easier.

In photograhy, I stick to my old-fashion ways of doing films and darkroom. When I look at images here, I ask myself, how much of the images were better because of technology? Because of digital equipment? There are more gimmicks. But improve and better imageries? Nah!

Please! Give me a break!

I am more interested in the quality of the human mind. I am a lot more interested in developing the person- that something God-given. Technology improving the person?

NO! Life improves the person. And life exists beautifully independently apart from technology.

Those people who refused to "catch-up" may be wiser than you thought!

Ignorance? YES!

Ignorance of youth!
In fact, technology tend to stifle more than it can help. The only thing technology probably help is the economy, thanks to the people who just love to catch up with technology. ;)

I'd probably do B&W the old way, but for colour photography, if you've spent countless hours in the darkroom doing test prints just to get the colours right, you would yearn for something which you can tweak and see the results immediately.

The technology is here now.... but people now gets more obsessed with the technology than with what it was originally intended for..

Still there are gaps in the technology. I will not be able to make my own prints if I shot digital short of doing it on an inkjet. There is a whole lot more you can do with technology but also a whole lot less in other aspects. You gain some, you lose some..

philliptan said:
Ya hor... very similar... :) But your pics very much nicer than mine. :D

lolx, pls lo.. my shots are nothing compared to yours... :bsmilie:

i like your APAD man, just that i didn comment there only.. haha, and i seldom post many pics... ;p newbie shots only...

i like ur plane shots, can see a lot of details.. last time i went airport try try, turned out quite crappy... -_-

Deadpoet said:
But it should not matter and does not matter, if technology, catching up with technology, be part of the cutting edge of technology ... as long as the image created is what you intended to create ... and satisfy what you wanted to show ...

You could have taken the picture with my old Mamiya 6 or a 1dsmk2 ... you could have developed the negatives and printed the b&w print in your darkroom or with your newest 8 color inkjet printer after you had processed the raw file usling the latest software and the fastest computer. Does it matter how you did it and what you used, as long as you got the picture you want?

For old timers, some changed with time and technology, some stayed. This decision alone has absolutely no baring if they are good or not so good photographer!

And that is precisely why I said "catching up with technology" have nothing to do with making better images.

However, there is a qualitiative difference in the way images are presented. And technology are not necessarily better.

In my chosen area of B&W photography, I have seen the same image printed with the latest of digital technology and one of the oldest of printing methods. I am referring to platinum printing. The digital print is beautiful. But it pales when compared side by side to the platinum print.

New does not equal better. And it would do youth a lot of good to understand that.

I am replying to those who seem to deride the "older folks" who do not want to play "catch up with technology".

Got my 1st Camera (DSLR) in Feb. So very noob in this. But in the past will play with some P&S whenever i can borrow 1 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.