how long have u been shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangzzz

Jul 14, 2004
Bishan
Feeling very down and out after helping a friend out at his recent photoshoot(i was 2nd photographer). Pics didnt turn out to be great(but neither were they that bad).

Wondering how long did you guys took to sorta "learn the ropes" of photography...i've been shooting for abt 2 yrs now...yet i feel so embarrassed at my level of photography, cos sometimes the shots really come out crappy.

Haiz. showed the pics to his friends(the models) and they just kept very quiet, could feel that they didnt think much of my pics. haiz.

will keep on trying. :embrass:

Well, I've been photographing for close to 4 years, and the results are still so-so. :bsmilie:

Can't help but say I'm embarassed too. But photography needs creativity, and creativity cannot be bought and neither can you learn it overnight. Some have a knack for it. Others, like us, simply need a longer time to pick it up. Reading books MIGHT help, and that's where I've been going...reading books in free time.

Anyway, some advice I've gotten in the past, is that we should photograph for ourselves, not others. Consider that photography is a hobby and a means of recording a moment. This is something I've got to follow as well.

I've been shooting for about 1 year now and I feel that books do give you a pretty good foundation and understanding about the basics but nothing beats practice and actually trying it. My path has gone from HP camera --> Digital Compact --> Film SLR --> DSLR.. The main process or learning was during the trial and error of my digital comapact. My film slr taught me to slow down and to think before composing as well as to remeber how the diff metering modes might affct the pic and to compensate accordingly. Film is harder to learn fomr as you do not get instant feedback. I have lost countless frames due to handshake and bad exposures. Like what fword said photogprahy is about shooting for yourself(unless you are getting paid) so develop your own style.

For me, since the early 90s, then i was using a compact film. Then i changed to digital compact, film SLR and now DSLR.

pangzzz said:
Feeling very down and out after helping a friend out at his recent photoshoot(i was 2nd photographer). Pics didnt turn out to be great(but neither were they that bad).

Wondering how long did you guys took to sorta "learn the ropes" of photography...i've been shooting for abt 2 yrs now...yet i feel so embarrassed at my level of photography, cos sometimes the shots really come out crappy.

Haiz. showed the pics to his friends(the models) and they just kept very quiet, could feel that they didnt think much of my pics. haiz.

will keep on trying. :embrass:
I've been shooting for about 18 years. Started with manual film cameras and learnt exposure the hard way before progressing to composition, colour processing and then got on the digital bandwagon 3 years back. You can say I'm lucky because my dad taught me a lot of things. (Get to share equipment also.. hehehe.)

The answer is to think before you shoot. Film photography is expensive and so will force you to stop, compose, find a good angle and think about the exposure before you release the shutter. After a few rolls of bad results, you will learn how the camera meters and how to use the meter to your advantage, that's just the metering part. This is the technical part, so if you haven't gotten this right, get it right first before proceeding to the art part.

For the composition part, first you might want to emulate people first, develop an eye for composition. It takes a lot of exposure and so it's good to expose yourself to many photos, good ones and bad. See what pleases you, what doesn't and why (<-very important to know why).

Then for the practical part, start with a good prime wide angle lens (eg, 35mm for 135 film or 24mm for APS-C size digital). Start with shooting a bit more and then crop later to get your final composition. After this practise, you will probably start to develop an eye for composition. Once you have developed that, then should you 'upgrade' (downgrade?) to zoom lenses. Still, better to shoot a bit more and crop later. It is good to have some friends to discuss composition and share ideas, with digital, it is very easy to try things out. Go to a location and try to create the pictures you have in mind and see where you fall short and why, what you could have done better.

After composition, it's all about lighting. How you would want your subject to be illuminated, natural? artificial? the angle? etc. Many great landscape pictures comes because of patience, mostly shot during the golden 'hour', dawn and dusk. (In singapore, this golden 'hour' lasts for only about 5 minutes). During this period, the lighting can change drastically and will be quite spectacular, if you missed the moment you want, probably just a few seconds, you'll have to wait another day.

End of the day, it's all about exposing yourself more to photographic works, practise more and you will get there. I'm still learning because each day we see things a little differently each time and we will always find something new in the same things we see everyday.

I have been shooting to close to 4 years now and felt like reaching the plateu of my learning curves. I wonder what's next to go beyond my current level of photography other than practise, practise, practise?

been shooting for... 4 years.. first a {nicknamed by school friend} "toy" camera (sony cybershot 2.1 MP, no ISO etc- only adjustables were size of photo, review). now using a P&S. next maybe a DSLR..

since 1987, when i was in Pri 5, using a old Pentax P&S....:)

sometimes, an eye for details and luck matters a lot for a good shot..

Since 1977, at the age of 6. Inherited my first camera from father. He was also my very first "shifu".

for myself, just only for 9 months or so, from using party Cam to HP cam to D. cam ,.... to now DSLR ... really not knowing if I had any improvements or not, no shifu for myself, only looking up to Clubsnap for guidance, and coountless trial and error... and asking many ppl...

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/yumyum79/ .. my homepage for photos... and really not knowing what should my very own portfolio be like .... sigh

looks like the average time that many here have been shooting is abt 5 yrs plus... all the best to everyone that's still trying to perfect the art of photography :)

I'm kinda 'young' in this one
Been Shooting since a Boy
but Seriously Shooting Since January 2005 ;p

started in dec 2005 with a compact camera a nikon 5200 to be excat. haha Took lots of nice pictures with that little dude..only switch to a dslr system 2 months ago and realise its kinda expensive sometimes haha but its fun nonetheless.

To pangzzz, just keep trying la.Go expose and learn more from others. I am in film school (fsv) so i was taught in class most of what i do. Den the people around me all very good at photography this kind of thing so we all improve alot by doing assignments together. :thumbsup:

I guess the path of photography is a hobby to most people in clubsnap. A form of hobby to be enjoyed and learned in many many years to come. Except during times of low creativity and lack of subject to shoot, one gets discouraged. I would advise putting away photography for a short while and then get back to it and still find it enjoyable!!!

pangzzz, believe you used film cam? Its my belief that film cam is harder to learn (due to lack of review function plus tendency to shoot lesser due to cost of devt.). I started learning photog more seriously using digital, and if it was film cam, i think i might have needed 5 years to capture similar. Dun give up..one way I find very useful in beginning is to view more of other people's works and learn what made it good..and try to apply some of these to your own shoot..in time to come, you will get your own style and capture that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.