how long did you take to master your dslr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonfulofjam

Mar 17, 2005
UK
i just bought a canon 400D, a first-timer here, just wondering how long did you take to master your camera and the camera techniques too?

everyone has a different learning curve
also has something to do with how much you shoot
and how much you're willing to learn
and how much you're willing to criticize your own shots

why bother?
spend less time doing surveys
and spend more time going out to shoot
you can only get better if you are serious and brave enough to face up to yourself

two different issue here,

one is learning photography, another is operating the camera.

if you have your basic knowledge about photography, learning to use/master the camera is very fast.

btw, photography need life long learning.

thanks guys for the advice. im still trying to figure out how to use my dslr, i definitely need loads of practice.

I think that reading the manual and playing/trying everything is a good way to learn. I think it worked for me :) Reading the manual allows you to have a look at all the features the camera has, and playing gets you used to using it :)

Master my DSLR? Not yet... Still a long long way to go... But the basically handling is somewhere there. At least I am roughly used to change some settings without having to look at the LCD now.

i just bought a canon 400D, a first-timer here, just wondering how long did you take to master your camera and the camera techniques too?

Play around with the settings as you read from manual. You will learn to use all functions in no time. If you find yourself taking picture with good exposure and no handshake, to me it means you already got the basic foundation. There are more to learn as said photography needs life long learning.

Master the photography eye is more important.

Me using the 400d also. I dislike the fact that the viewfinder don't display the ISO setting. I sometimes have the wrong ISO on, from the last different scene shot, when shooting.

after two years i still dunno how to use my D70...dun think i even know 3/4 ba...

Master the photography eye is more important.

Me using the 400d also. I dislike the fact that the viewfinder don't display the ISO setting. I sometimes have the wrong ISO on, from the last different scene shot, when shooting.

I agree that "mastering the photography eye" is important, but what's the point if you can't get your tools to do what you want? :) It's important to learn the camera and how to use it so that when you are getting the shot you want, you won't be stuck thinking about how to make it do what you want, you can concentrate more on the image.

i read the manual many times and experimenting with my cam.
for manual mode, how do i know what aperture, exposure, goes with what shutter speed?

i read the manual many times and experimenting with my cam.
for manual mode, how do i know what aperture, exposure, goes with what shutter speed?

This won't be taught in manual book you have to read up books on photography. These are basic foundation on photography. Go libary and read up...there are tons of books there, I started from there too :)

Have not mastered it till now. Now, it is sold :(.

Read up on photography and start taking pictures. I've had my DSLR just over a month and I've taken almost 1,000 shots... practise makes perfect man

Instantly. I think I'm just too good for myself sometimes..

Hahaha. Now photographic talent on the other hand..

mastering the DSLR takes like 30mins.

a bit of reading the manual and fiddling with the controls :)

you used one DSLR, you used all of them. All the same one.

Instantly. I think I'm just too good for myself sometimes..

Hahaha. Now photographic talent on the other hand..

mastering the DSLR takes like 30mins.

a bit of reading the manual and fiddling with the controls :)

you used one DSLR, you used all of them. All the same one.

you guys so good, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

should conduct mastering DSLR classes, so everyone can learn to master DSLR within a day...

you guys so good, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

should conduct mastering DSLR classes, so everyone can learn to master DSLR within a day...

I think mastering DSLR is not difficult. It's mastering photography that's harder. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.