How long did it take you to sell your item in the Personal Classifieds?

Average time for a sale in Personal Classifieds

• Less than a day

• Between 2 and 3 days

• Between 4 and 6 days

• More than 1 week

• Did not conclude sale

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
As per the thread title, we want to find out how long it takes before an item is sold in the Personal Classifieds section (average time between posting an item and when the item is successfully sold).

Thanks for the feedback.

In my view, I have seen lots of Buy & Sell in CS and generally there are just 3 types of sellers here.

1) Most of the sellers are trying to sell around the market price and those who sell below the market price will always get their item sold within a few days or less, unless its a very specialize item or brand. These sellers include people will put their wares for bidding.

2) the other type of sellers I notice is those who price their items very close to the retail prices or above the market price and will not even bother to give or give very little discounts.
These sellers generally either will sell when they feel that the market must accept their prices or just put the items up for sale to just to showcase that they own the items and have no intention of "really selling" the items. You will notice these sellers put a whole range of items for "sale" and can list it for more than 6 months or so.

3)The last type is they really want to sell the items and will give an attractive price. These sellers normally will clear their items within 48 hours or less and will not bother to let their items go on bidding or may if the item is not as popular as the market demands.

I belong to the 3rd type!

Reactions: the flash
In my view, I have seen lots of Buy & Sell in CS and generally there are just 3 types of sellers here.

1) Most of the sellers are trying to sell around the market price and those who sell below the market price will always get their item sold within a few days or less, unless its a very specialize item or brand. These sellers include people will put their wares for bidding.

2) the other type of sellers I notice is those who price their items very close to the retail prices or above the market price and will not even bother to give or give very little discounts.
These sellers generally either will sell when they feel that the market must accept their prices or just put the items up for sale to just to showcase that they own the items and have no intention of "really selling" the items. You will notice these sellers put a whole range of items for "sale" and can list it for more than 6 months or so.

3)The last type is they really want to sell the items and will give an attractive price. These sellers normally will clear their items within 48 hours or less and will not bother to let their items go on bidding or may if the item is not as popular as the market demands.

Speaking of market price for 2nd hand items, I wonder who decides the market price.

If you have realised, prices for 2nd hand photographic equipment tend to be very sticky, unlike, say the automobile market, where a value car depreciates fast. You can have people here selling at nonsense prices. I think it's because there isn't a real competition between sellers to sell away their stuff.
Some people talk about leaving it to demand and supply forces. But for that to happen, there must first be some form of competition between sellers.

A few hours. But i would say mine's not very accurate because the moment after i created my WTS thread, i spotted a WTB thread for the same lens and after contacting owner, met up with him later in the evening and dealt with him.

Assumming i didnt create the thread or that he spotted later, would be about 1-2 days IMHO :D

i think the main deciding factor is the demand for the piece of equipment up for sale. otherwise it should be mostly quite fast

and there is another annoying type of seller in B/S forum ,
a seller that cannot keep his word.
do not care about deal arrangement,

this type of seller only sell his item to the person with highest offer,
although you already deal with the seller, (yup, already DEaL and make appointment to meet ),
the seller will cancel the deal with you if he found another attractive offer.

Strongly agreed with Puakkui.

and there is another annoying type of seller in B/S forum ,
a seller that cannot keep his word.
do not care about deal arrangement,

this type of seller only sell his item to the person with highest offer,
although you already deal with the seller, (yup, already DEaL and make appointment to meet ),
the seller will cancel the deal with you if he found another attractive offer.

oh yes, this type of pricks exist too, I forgotten about them!

a lot of the time it depends on the demand of the item like what someone mentioned earlier. Things like 2nd hand film cameras and certain vintage cameras take a while to shift. Usually when a particular user is looking for the item. I have had people message me 6 months after the ad was posted asking if the item was still available. Specific items like grips for cameras that are camera specific also might take awhile especially if the camera is not a common one. But generally I find selling digital camera related items easier than film based equipment, probably because of the sheer amount of digital as compared to film users.

more often than less, unrealistic expectation of seller. for me...can be as short as few hours to few days :),
much shorter compare to me thinking and thinking for weeks buying a new one ;) haha....

Generally, it took about 1 week to get my gears sold. Sometimes, it takes longer.

All depends on the popularity of item & reasonable offer.

3 hrs for me.
Wow.

Sold mine in about a week. Although I'm new kindda realised a few things:

1) I get more enquiries on weekends.

2) Well, there are people who try their luck and offer ridiculously low prices and I guess if seller is desperate, these offers will fetch a damn good bargain.

3) I looked through the WTB/WTS part there are actually matching offers. Maybe people didn't really look through OR the buyer/sellers didn't close their thread.

4) Surprisingly, I agree on the portion "what is the market price?". I have a huge spectrum of offers.. I determine my selling price from setting a slightly higher price from what I can get from shops taking in 2nd hand

Just a few cents worth... ;)
Cheers!

It all depends on the match of "Willing Buyer" and "Willing Seller".

I sold my items within 4~6 days.

Cheers!

i sold my 55-250mm lens in a day... or a matter of fact within 3 hours of posting... :bsmilie:
that was fast!

As per the thread title, we want to find out how long it takes before an item is sold in the Personal Classifieds section (average time between posting an item and when the item is successfully sold).

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Darren, I've sold a couple of items previously and most of the time it's either within 2 days or within the week.
Thanks.
Bernard.