How long can/will you keep your dslr+lens?

Germs

May 8, 2012
Singapore
Hi all,

I'm just curious, how long do you guys normally keep your dslr and lenses? E.g. keep it for 10 years, or sell it away after 2 years to buy the next newest model?

I was thinking of keeping my current lenses indefinitely, until it breaks down like 10 years later (with careful maintenance of course). But I wonder how practical is that? lol. Is there any disadvantages of keeping a good quality lens for the long term??

Sorry if I posted a repeat, but I tried doing a search for about 15 mins and can't seem to find any threads on this. Thanks for sharing. :)

I don't know about modern lenses, but vintage lenses were made to last for decades. I have a few vintage lenses that are way older then myself and they still perform very well

as for my modern lenses, so far i haven't sold away any of my favourite lenses, then oldest that I have is only 3 years old. I am hoping the electronics in these lenses will last for at least 10-20 years :dunno:

no idea how long i plan on keeping my stuff. ive had my current kit for 3 years, and im just about to sell it to upgrade. but if its something i dont need to upgrade, like if i got some high quality lenses, i dont see any need to sell either, and im sure they'd last well over 10 years, with good maintenance and maybe the occasional repair

like nedy77 mentioned above, i also have a couple of vintage kits that super old, ranging from around 25-50 years old. those were definitely built to last, and while i dont think cheap digital gear will last nearly as long, due to build quality, the higher-end digital gear should last a long time!

I just bought a few lens recently, hope they will last more than 10 yrs. Mine is those which has the "10" logo, from what i searched online is regarding the "tin" issue which might affect the lens after 10yrs of usage.

I have lenses from the 1970s up to 2011. Older lenses are made to last for years. My modern lenses are from 2008 until today.

My oldest lens is from 1972. works fine. Then there's an AF lens from 1986. Works fine.

Worry less, shoot more.

My oldest lenses are older than myself... some of them are from the 60s. I have a fair share of modern lenses too. I normally don't sell my lens if I find them still useful... did sold off a couple that I got tire playing with and is taking up space in my small dry cabinet.

Hi all,

I'm just curious, how long do you guys normally keep your dslr and lenses? E.g. keep it for 10 years, or sell it away after 2 years to buy the next newest model?

I was thinking of keeping my current lenses indefinitely, until it breaks down like 10 years later (with careful maintenance of course). But I wonder how practical is that? lol. Is there any disadvantages of keeping a good quality lens for the long term??

Sorry if I posted a repeat, but I tried doing a search for about 15 mins and can't seem to find any threads on this. Thanks for sharing. :)
have you search in BnS?

the lenses can last for many years, you can see many people selling 20, 30 years old lens, but for modern lenses, unless is pro grade lenses, they don't build it as lasting as last time, anyway, you probably outgrown the lenses by than.

btw, are you sure you want to keep a DSLR for 10 years? check out this Canon D30,
Canon EOS D30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

even it is still working, I don't think you will want to use it any more.

[video=youtube;dQw4w9WgXcQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ[/video]

[video=youtube;dQw4w9WgXcQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ[/video]

lol so you gonna keep your lenses forever?

So like what catchlights said about the 30D, will you guys keep the out-dated lens and dslr and just store it somewhere like an antique? haha.

Then in that case, when's the best time to sell away our dslr gear to prevent holding out-dated dslr gear (and where no one wants them)? how about like selling the 5D classic when 5D mkiv (if there ever is something like that in the future) comes out?

Germs said:

So like what catchlights said about the 30D, will you guys keep the out-dated lens and dslr and just store it somewhere like an antique? haha.

Then in that case, when's the best time to sell away our dslr gear to prevent holding out-dated dslr gear (and where no one wants them)? how about like selling the 5D classic when 5D mkiv (if there ever is something like that in the future) comes out?

The 30d is an outdated body. The lenses are not, but I think that's something you are unable to comprehend. He showed you a dslr body and you think it means the lenses were outdated? I have used lenses that are older than you and I combined and they are far from "outdated".

I have no outdated lenses. In fact, most of my old lenses are worth more now than before.

I will sell my dslr body when I feel I need an upgrade.

If you are thinking only in terms of resale value, best time to sell, etc, then you are obviously just a "guy with camera" and not a photographer.

Last edited:
These are cameras, not cars .. in case you missed that detail. Cameras are consumer electronics (mostly, apart from some Leicas and others) - which means they drop in value the moment you leave the shop and they will never return to that value again. If you think about resale you are going for the wrong product, period. Reselling consumer electronics just means to make a few bucks compared to the original price.
Now back to photography. Analyze what you need for your pictures. Check whether the newer body offers any improvements. (Check your budget.) Decide. Ever thought about why people still love to work with 5D instead of jumping for 5D3?

Eh you guys misunderstood what I'm asking la. I'm not talking about making money from resale dslr gear LOL. Duh, with today's fast paced technology, their depreciation is fast. But I do understand where you guys are coming from.

I'm just concerned about how to get the best value (of course taking pictures with them is the best way, but also in terms of cost) out of our current dslr gear (yes probably excluding MOST lens, cause I believe there are definitely some cheap lens that can become outdated, at least to my usage). Cause from past experience, I've seen my family holding on to old P&S cameras that you can't even sell to karanguni, so we end up with so many old cameras (waste space & waste money). So I'd rather sell those old ones off (before it becomes obsolete) and then upgrade or use the cash value for something else more productive.

I do know that most pro photographers will think 'don't bother about cost and all that, and just go out and shoot' or 'don't bother being a photographer if you are concerned about such things'. But it's just me to consider everything involved about the things I buy and use. So yea.. what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Eh you guys misunderstood what I'm asking la. I'm not talking about making money from resale dslr gear LOL. Duh, with today's fast paced technology, their depreciation is fast. But I do understand where you guys are coming from.

I'm just concerned about how to get the best value (of course taking pictures with them is the best way, but also in terms of cost) out of our current dslr gear. Cause from past experience, I've seen my family holding on to old cameras that you can't even sell to karanguni, so we end up with so many old cameras (waste space & waste money). So I'd rather sell those old ones off (before it becomes obsolete) and then upgrade or use the cash value for something else more productive.

I do know that most pro photographers will think 'don't bother about cost and all that, and just go out and shoot' or 'don't bother being a photographer if you are concerned about such things'. But it's just me to consider everything involved about the things I buy and use. So yea.. what do you guys think?
buy,
make full use of it,
don't think so much.

I'm just concerned about how to get the best value (of course taking pictures with them is the best way, but also in terms of cost) out of our current dslr gear (yes probably excluding MOST lens, cause I believe there are definitely some cheap lens that can become outdated, at least to my usage). Cause from past experience, I've seen my family holding on to old P&S cameras that you can't even sell to karanguni, so we end up with so many old cameras (waste space & waste money). So I'd rather sell those old ones off (before it becomes obsolete) and then upgrade or use the cash value for something else more productive.

The thing is... even with an outdated camera, if the camera can still take photos to you and your clients' expectation, then why do you want to sell, as to the value of the camera... if you buy a camera for 2k now, value in term of $$$ is about 500 per year, then in 4 years time it will not be worth anything (for example), however if you keep using the camera and it keep bringing good money in to your bank account for 10 years, wouldn't that be better, then you sell that camera off at 2.5yrs to make the most out of it and buy new gear?

Depend on how you look at it.

Dont know about you.
But i dont care about resale value. Buy it to use it and enjoy it. Why think about selling it already.:dunno: Its a camera..not a house.
If nobody want to buy. So be it.. cost are incurred in (every hobby) anyway..so instead of thinking and worry so much. Why not make use and enjoy as much while you are at it. If you cant afford the cost..then you might want to look for another hobby.

Last edited:

Catchlights was referring to EOS D30, not 30D. D30 is a 3.1MP DSLR released in year 2000. 30D is a much newer body (released in 2006).

Technology keeps getting better and better, there will always be something more technologically advanced in the horizon... be it both lens or body.

10 years later you might see entry level camera bodies with full weather-sealed (perhaps even submerge-able), 15fps, 100MP with ultra wide dynamic range, and even a shutter assembly that last 100 years, at the cost of a mobile phone.

10 years ago your lens only has 2-stop IS. 10 years later maybe you get a 70-200mm f/0.5 with 10-stops IS the size of a used toilet roll.

Personally I do not recommend thinking of hording and collecting electronic stuff (unless they are limited release with collectors' value). Just buy what you need, make full use of them, and sell those you don't need.

Catchlights was referring to EOS D30, not 30D. D30 is a 3.1MP DSLR released in year 2000. 30D is a much newer body (released in 2006).

Technology keeps getting better and better, there will always be something more technologically advanced in the horizon... be it both lens or body.

10 years later you might see entry level camera bodies with full weather-sealed (perhaps even submerge-able), 15fps, 100MP with ultra wide dynamic range, and even a shutter assembly that last 100 years, at the cost of a mobile phone.

10 years ago your lens only has 2-stop IS. 10 years later maybe you get a 70-200mm f/0.5 with 10-stops IS the size of a used toilet roll.

Personally I do not recommend thinking of hording and collecting electronic stuff (unless they are limited release with collectors' value). Just buy what you need, make full use of them, and sell those you don't need.

Technology can improve, but law of physics Wun change. You will need a 400mm filter for your 70-200/0.5 lens lol

Germs, I also have this issue. Once I was asking myself should I keep all my film cameras ( EOS 1N, EOS 3 and FE2 etc ). After reliased digital is the way to go, I have to sell them. No matter how much you like them, when you can no longer buy film or battery to use, they are like paper weight. Therefore I am still asking myself today should I sell my 2004 DSLR which I am still using them heavily, because I know one day I may never buy any battery or no more parts for repair/ servicing for my cameras.

It will be never ending issue for you and me because we are not rich people. The current cameras we have serve us very well that we cannot bear to part or cough out money to buy the latest or best cameras in the market.

My advice will be to treat them as tools instead of collectors item.