How long are you interested?

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
My interest in photography has been waxing and waning these days. Can't really keep my interest up all the time. What about you guys?

Leong23

Oct 18, 2007
within myself
My interest in photography has been waxing and waning these days. Can't really keep my interest up all the time. What about you guys?
I took up photo during my teens, shoot seriously for 4 years, relax shooting for 4 years, then quit shooting for 8 years, back and relax shooting for 1 year, then serious for 2 years, currently abit relax due to commitment.

mabmy

Jan 19, 2009
Simei
The burning passion is still there. Love getting all the errors when shooting. Then will keep on trying till i get it right. So many scenes to shoot but so little time. :bsmilie:

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
I find that Waxing & Waning is quite common..... mainly because of what I term as the 'Burn Out' effect..... Burn Out from 'over' shooting after getting your 1st DSLR/Camera.... you join every shoot.... shoot everyday.... then 'think' you have done it all, and is now bored.

For me.... Photography is kind of life long hobby/interest. I could only afford to start well into my working life.... DSLR isn't cheap till after 2000 :sweat: I don't try to be a PRO or anything.... but shoot when I'm free or when I'm in a good mood. I no longer try to shoot a certain numbers of time, every month, just to make my gears worthwhile..... doing so, I kept my interest going.... plus I go for overseas trip each year just for photography (Penang this June, Taiwan end of the year... hopfully :sweat:), beside my usual Scuba Diving photography trip :bsmilie:

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
if you are in the CS organised photoshoots and still feel like that, then it is better to check with the doc .... probably you are losing your testosterone :p

but seriously, it is very common to feel like you for most of us. I do, he does, and most people will. With the exception of some hardcore shooters. I do change my interest to landscape, to animals, to events photography, xmm, artistic, etc... sometimes you meet someone who can inspire and motivate you to improve your works, etc... Change camera system is also known to motivate you to try out new things and style, etc.

Leong23

Oct 18, 2007
within myself
if you are in the CS organised photoshoots and still feel like that, then it is better to check with the doc .... probably you are losing your testosterone :p

but seriously, it is very common to feel like you for most of us. I do, he does, and most people will. With the exception of some hardcore shooters. I do change my interest to landscape, to animals, to events photography, xmm, artistic, etc... sometimes you meet someone who can inspire and motivate you to improve your works, etc... Change camera system is also known to motivate you to try out new things and style, etc.
And buying new equipment too.....really....or maybe only me. lol ;p

Justintime

Apr 28, 2008
Everytime I look at my favourite links of galleries, my interest is renewed :)

...that is after I get over a short period of mild depression upon realising how sucky my photos are.

Jokes aside, if this is just a hobby, why not take it easy and enjoy the process, photography does requires effort and time away from family.

Relax, its just for fun

Last edited:

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
Thank you guys for the replies.

When my interest is gone, I don't feel anything looking at photos. "Just another photo" feeling. :(

Also, buying new gear didn't help either. I just bought 2 lenses recently - 10.5 fisheye and 11-16.

Still, I don't see my interest renewed. Still sitting in my dry cabi. LOL.

Also, shooting models... never got my testosterones up. Even when I was still interested. Just trying to take nice pics.

A little uninspired now. :(

Sep 9, 2007
I too feel a bit tired sometimes... probably because of the weight of the gear, or am a bit tired of the things I normally shoot

I took pics with my handphone and Holga, and read more and looked at pics, and kind of rekindled my interest again :)

Maybe you should try a total different kind of photography, like lomo or macro

juste_millieu

Mar 17, 2004
I too feel a bit tired sometimes... probably because of the weight of the gear, or am a bit tired of the things I normally shoot

I took pics with my handphone and Holga, and read more and looked at pics, and kind of rekindled my interest again :)

Maybe you should try a total different kind of photography, like lomo or macro
agree with u. sometimes those heavy gears make me tired of shooting. also always the same old thing to shoot.
join groupS, look at what other shoot (foreign forums), learn new techinques (PS) will help :D

kokfann

Deregistered
Aug 2, 2009
Thank you guys for the replies.

When my interest is gone, I don't feel anything looking at photos. "Just another photo" feeling. :(

Also, buying new gear didn't help either. I just bought 2 lenses recently - 10.5 fisheye and 11-16.

Still, I don't see my interest renewed. Still sitting in my dry cabi. LOL.

Also, shooting models... never got my testosterones up. Even when I was still interested. Just trying to take nice pics.

maybe u can loan to me till your interest come back? i am currently "overflowing" with testosterone.. :p

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003

employ a PD to hunt for uncle Bob, an ex-cSer who specializes in improving photographers' testosterone level. :rolleyes:

that 'interest' should not be cultivated just because people are shooting with DSLR/SLR these days. it has to be naturally exuded from within. the genre of photography is so diversified that you can't be doing everything within a year, let alone a few months of taking up this expensive hobby.

take a break from your usual style. experiment with different settings and subjects.i'm sure you won't get bored that easily. shoot @ different timings,sweat it out with your gears by walking around. you'll tire off physically rather then psychologically;)

Top Bottom