How likely is a 2.5" harddisk to crash/be corrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11x

Jan 12, 2004
Canberra,Australia
I was thinking about buying the X-Drive VP3310 or something similar that uses a harddisk for storage. I intend to use it for a variety of purposes like backing up data files from work.

After reading reports, I find that some people (especially the pros as they usually advocate portable CD burner) are skeptical as it will crash or corrupt your files. How likely is that to happen?

I've been moving my laptop about as it writes to the harddisk without any problems yet (touch wood)I thought that was the whole idea of a laptop?

Or is it the devices themselves are the culprit, not the harddisk?

thanks
Matt

st11x said:
I was thinking about buying the X-Drive VP3310 or something similar that uses a harddisk for storage. I intend to use it for a variety of purposes like backing up data files from work.

After reading reports, I find that some people (especially the pros as they usually advocate portable CD burner) are skeptical as it will crash or corrupt your files. How likely is that to happen?

I've been moving my laptop about as it writes to the harddisk without any problems yet (touch wood)I thought that was the whole idea of a laptop?

Or is it the devices themselves are the culprit, not the harddisk?

thanks
Matt

Hard disk are mechanically build, they are bound to crash, just a matter of time. 1 yrs? 10 yrs? Also if you take great care of it, it should last longer.

Generally speaking, the chance are small in everyday use but .. murphy's law always apply :D

but then, if photography is not your rice bowl, at most you lost only your precious photos.

not to worry too much, hard disk are cheap now adays :)

juz my 2cents input.

Jimtong is right. I've seen notebook hard disk crash within 3 months while some lasted 4 to 5 years. Don't worry too much about it. If it happen then it happened. The prices have gone down tremendously and the last thing on your mind should be worrying about it crashing. Transfer your data from your X-Drive regularly to your pc. Do not use it as your long term storage device. But then again your pc hard disk may also crash. But the chances is less as you don't move it about. But then.......

Status
Not open for further replies.