How is your photography unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9sparx

Mar 25, 2008
Simei
I just would like to know since there are many photographers out there and so many shots seem very similar to one another, making it no longer unique. Some people have a certain style of slanting their photos to make it different, how about you?

First and foremost you have to like the shot you take. Doesn matter too much whether it is the old mundane reflection of AngKorWat. Taking pictures that you like is a personal satisfaction as well.

Of couuse many of us will try taking at different perspectives for more ideas. May or may not work, but it is good learning.

Ryan

First and foremost you have to like the shot you take. Doesn matter too much whether it is the old mundane reflection of AngKorWat. Taking pictures that you like is a personal satisfaction as well.

Of couuse many of us will try taking at different perspectives for more ideas. May or may not work, but it is good learning.

Ryan

ryan's pretty spot on. the key is personal satisfaction. the 1st stage of personal satisfaction is "what i like". the next stage is a bit more tricky, is "why do i like what i like?". that question deals more with personality/character rather than photography and it's harder to answer. if that question can be answered, it's an important step to creating unique images (since every person is intrinsically unique) because then photography is not so much about the subject than it is about the photographer's viewpoint.

I believe that trying to duplicate other photographer's shots, the act in itself will already help us to be unique. Because we all think differently, the duplication act will never be exact and we will slowly develop our own slant.

I just would like to know since there are many photographers out there and so many shots seem very similar to one another, making it no longer unique. Some people have a certain style of slanting their photos to make it different, how about you?

i haven't seen any "similar shots" in a long time, unless you're talking about perhaps p&p. for landscapes, etc.. hardly see people on the same outing even producing the same shots.

tell me, how you do that? everyone got different lenses, everyone at different positions, always got different light.

are you seriously being serious here or do you have a larger statement to make with less than pure intentions?

LOL!!! Maybe they also modeling elsewhere for more money?

Don't join clubs/societies which bring many to the same spot to take the same pictures, Even when you join them, be the odd one out... Don't shoot from the same angle, don't shoot with the same lens as others....

or don't shoot?:p

just a thought.

no matter how much we want to be unique, and how much for it is actually preached.. there are certain limits to how much different you can be. the key is actually how much uniqueness can you actually put in while conforming to a the general taste. or i.e. how much similar you can be to certain way of shooting that is actually popular with the general public.

okay. i think i sound too complicated for a monday. gosh. what's wrong with me.

This is very interesting topic.....

And that's make me think now...
What is unique?? or different from other ppl pix??

Same subject in different ways of shooting? play with the color tones?
editing the pix?? and etc......

Everyone has their way of expressing themselves through the pix taken..
may be the subject is the same but the feeling given is different.

Example you shooting at a tree at the river side..(There is only 1 tree..just an example):bsmilie:

You can either do it at sunrise, sunset and rainy day and so on...
but the feeling give by the shooter will be different,
depending on the shooter wanted what kind of feeling he/she wanted to express....

This is what I felt..... for all those pix I shoot so far....
still a newbie.... still learning from the pro there..

Here is a live example....
I have one shot.. tot of testing a different position or color tone.
but turn out to this C&C.... anyway I'm still a newbie here...
I'm taking this as a positive comments...So now trying to shot more and hope to improve more...

http://www.forums.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=375563

aiyo... today only monday... I talk like that.......
kanna monday blues liao..... :sweat:

Photoshop. Sure unique one.

Photos are like ideas. They are "inspired" by something that's been seen before, then adapted to make a new interpretation based on the person's perception and personality.

Another way to answer your question:
My photography is unique because I took the pictures myself.

i haven't seen any "similar shots" in a long time, unless you're talking about perhaps p&p. for landscapes, etc.. hardly see people on the same outing even producing the same shots.

tell me, how you do that? everyone got different lenses, everyone at different positions, always got different light.

are you seriously being serious here or do you have a larger statement to make with less than pure intentions?

Yes, i agree that everyone have different lenses, at different positions and so on and so forth but i would like to know how you make your pictures outstanding, that you would give it a look and know that it is YOUR shot. And yes, i am being serious here to know more and if possible, learn from the skillful photographers.

My photos are unique because they are taken by me, and they are there to remind me of the memories when the photos are taken.

Why are people always interested in only doing something unique for uniqueness sake? Why do you want to be different from others? A photos evokes memories and tell stories, so every photo is unique to each individual.

My photos are unique because they are taken by me, and they are there to remind me of the memories when the photos are taken.

Why are people always interested in only doing something unique for uniqueness sake? Why do you want to be different from others? A photos evokes memories and tell stories, so every photo is unique to each individual.

i understand where you are coming from but i think the TS is asking about uniqueness in an image not only to oneself but to the general public also.

Hi
Actually I see loads of similar shots in the portaits section.
The hired pretty model in similar poses.
Maybe the poses are not exactly the same, but the look, the pose is quite generic in some shoots.

The car expo shoots are even more similar.

To the OP

I started taking shots more than 25 years ago by copying the techniques I saw in the books, then trying out new angles and asking myself, 'why not do this and that'. After a while you will develop your own signature.
Even so, certain shots will still look generic (see my point above) as there are limited styles in some situations.

I would not be too stressed to learn my shot resembles half a dozen other ones, if the shot appeals to you and looks good.

Cheers

i understand where you are coming from but i think the TS is asking about uniqueness in an image not only to oneself but to the general public also.

Thanks. I am also aware of what the TS is asking, but I am also asking why everyone wants to be unique. The thing is photography is an art. It is about your perception of the world and the story you want to tell. Would having a unique picture tell your story better? Which angle or composition or setting it is depends on the situation and the story.

If it looks unique in terms of angle or composition or subject/pose, it can only mean that the viewer hasn't seen enough photos to notice the similiarities.

Every picture is a capture of a moment in time, and therefore is unique itself, as it is often difficult to create exactly the same condition. If TS want to be unique, he only need to scrutinise the photos to find the difference, and not focus on the similiarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.