How is the QC of Canon "L" lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephirum

Mar 29, 2004
Are you confident enough to walk in to a camera shop and just pick one L lens up without testing? Any one here have bad encounter with L lenses (e.g. soft copy, ring not smooth...etc.)?

i dont think there should be any defects, even if so, they have 1 to 1 exchange warranty right? if bought overseas they also have international warranty.. but chances for defects are highly unlikely..

Are you confident enough to walk in to a camera shop and just pick one L lens up without testing? Any one here have bad encounter with L lenses (e.g. soft copy, ring not smooth...etc.)?

I don't know anything about Canon QC but with Nikon, you'd be wise to check as there can be "defects" like polish/swirl marks on the elements, dust and bubbles (I've found these on lenses costing up to $3K and not one off occurrances either).

While these things don't take anything away from the optical performance of the lens, it does the affect it's resale value (should you need to get rid of it in the future). It is always safer to test and check anything on purchase.

i dont think there should be any defects, even if so, they have 1 to 1 exchange warranty right? if bought overseas they also have international warranty.. but chances for defects are highly unlikely..

most shops have 7 days 1-to-1 (not all), but even if they do practise that, are they willing to change the lens for you if it is a soft copy lens? Put it this way, is a lens producing "soft" image consider a defect? I need on the lens this weekend, but my camera is not with me until the actual day, so I am thinking of picking up the (which happens to be an L lens) first......I am just concern about getting a lemon for so much money paid.

if im not mistaken cathay sell thes cheapest L lenses around here.. feel free to correct me if im wrong.. but do ask about warranty etc, and try to spot with the naked eye.. you might want to talk to them about ur concerns.. maybe you can go over to the canon sub-forum or move this thread over there for the pros to help out.. cheers and gd luck ;)

Both my Ls come in excellent condition, no issues though.

Did you test it on the spot before you buy it or you just grab, pay and go?

What test are you talking about? If it means taking the lens out of the box and mount it on the camera to see if it works e.g. focus, IS working, etc... then of course, it due diligence of the shopper to do that. If its tests on image quality, you can never perform those accurately in the shop.

Did you test it on the spot before you buy it or you just grab, pay and go?

Of cos test on the spot. Check for any dusts or dirt particles inside, test sharpness, etc. How can u not test lens when buying them, especially if they're very expensive ones.

i will bring my cam to test it on the lens before buying.. i do the physical checks on the lens as well... spending so much money means i must check and test out the stuff before bringing it home.. :)

i will bring my cam to test it on the lens before buying.. i do the physical checks on the lens as well... spending so much money means i must check and test out the stuff before bringing it home.. :)

Yupz. If possible too, take several shots and use the shop's computer to view them, then blow the pic up.

You mean there are actually people that walk in to a shop and say "I would like to purchase this". Pay. Walk out. All without never even opening up the box to look at the product?

You mean there are actually people that walk in to a shop and say "I would like to purchase this". Pay. Walk out. All without never even opening up the box to look at the product?

You can do that if you buy a Hasselblad (Carl Zeiss) or Leica lens.

You cannot buy a Canon L autofocus lens this way.
I am a Canon user.
I have seen L lens brand new at Cathay with dirt specks inside.
It was a hot selling autofocus lens many years ago, cannot recall the range now.

I was told by China frequent visitor insider that nowadays some low-end L lenses components are in fact manufactured to some degree of completeness in China with final assembly in Japan. The lens will be labelled Made in Japan.
But that is to be expected. Globalisation is the new catchword.

Do not expect a lower end "Made in Japan" (or so we thought) lens to be in the same league as a top-end Made in Germany Carl Zeiss or Leica lens.
But the long tele Canon L autofocus lenses are quite good.

Cathay may have a camera for you to test the lens with......ask for it.

HS

if im not mistaken cathay sell thes cheapest L lenses around here.. feel free to correct me if im wrong.. but do ask about warranty etc, and try to spot with the naked eye.. you might want to talk to them about ur concerns.. maybe you can go over to the canon sub-forum or move this thread over there for the pros to help out.. cheers and gd luck ;)

I often buy L lens cheaper then what Cathay is selling :) The diff is about $100 or so sometimes. It all voice down to the relationship you have with the shop. You can ask 3 diff sales people at Cathay and all 3 quote diff price!!! *Strange* :thumbsd:

i dont believe L lenses are made in china. you can check from the serial code which factory in japan they were produced in.

i dont believe L lenses are made in china. you can check from the serial code which factory in japan they were produced in.

If the Ls are made in china, i wouldn't even want to buy it in the 1st place.

Status
Not open for further replies.