How is the QC of Canon "L" lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, if people would stop blaming their equipment for their inadequacy in skills, why not?

Then great! Everyone should then stick to kit lenses and not waste so much money on expensive Ls.

Maybe they should... ultimately, its them who decides what photography means to them... finding joy in taking photos or drooling over expensive lenses.....

Yes of cos they can but there are still chances that QC in China are still not well-controlled.

how about the chances of Japanese QC being not so well-controlled too?

pardon me, but personally, my 300D went to service for so many times that i've lost count. still, it carries that proud made in japan tag.

and so are sigma lenses. most (if not all) sigma lenses are made in Japan. how do you explain for that?

nothing against japan or china, but where ever it's made, it's the person using it that's making the difference, provided you've not got a lemon piece (which, either country gives you the same amount of failure chances.)

Maybe they should... ultimately, its them who decides what photography means to them... finding joy in taking photos or drooling over expensive lenses.....

There're many pple out there who're satisfied with the kit lens but colour and quality wise, really no fight as compared to an L.

pardon me, but personally, my 300D went to service for so many times that i've lost count. still, it carries that proud made in japan tag.

and so are sigma lenses. most (if not all) sigma lenses are made in Japan. how do you explain for that?

nothing against japan or china, but where ever it's made, it's the person using it that's making the difference, provided you've not got a lemon piece (which, either country gives you the same amount of failure chances.)

Well bro, even if we're not talking abt camera equipment made in China but other stuffs, it's really evident and i've many bad experiences with products made in China, even for other electrical products. So to be safe, i really avoid them now, especially for camera equipment. Haven't failed ever since.

geezz..... then i wonder what kind of life photographers go through before L lenses were made........

Previously those old manual cams and manual lenses during our parents' days, the build and quality of the lenses are very robust. 2 years ago i met a photographer at the Sentosa flower festival and he was using this old manual cam, but looking at the coating of the lens, it's very rich.

But of cos technology improves over time.

Well bro, even if we're not talking abt camera equipment made in China but other stuffs, it's really evident and i've many bad experiences with products made in China, even for other electrical products. So to be safe, i really avoid them now, especially for camera equipment.

well sir, i had numerous failed japanese products as well. if i were to tabulate a scoresheet of sorts, i really dont think the japanese would have less failure.

look at it this way. if only 1% of their cost goes into QA for a japanese electronic making plant, would you think it would give better results then another chinese company that gives in 10%?

=)

well sir, i had numerous failed japanese products as well. if i were to tabulate a scoresheet of sorts, i really dont think the japanese would have less failure.

look at it this way. if only 1% of their cost goes into QA for a japanese electronic making plant, would you think it would give better results then another chinese company that gives in 10%?

=)

I know that China's touted as the 'world's factory' so obviously most products are made there. Well i guess u're right, perhaps they are improving but not as fast as Japan's expertise.

Previously those old manual cams and manual lenses during our parents' days, the build and quality of the lenses are very robust. 2 years ago i met a photographer at the Sentosa flower festival and he was using this old manual cam, but looking at the coating of the lens, it's very rich.

But of cos technology improves over time.

Ya now those manual stuff are history and forgotten. We somehow lost the ability to take good photos without the help of expensive stuff..... or at least that's what some people believe. I suggest you have a look at photo.net and see what people are doing with their cheap lenses. An image from the cheap canon 24-85 covered an entire page of the straits times. So how many full covers have you shot with your L lenses?

Ya now those manual stuff are history and forgotten. We somehow lost the ability to take good photos without the help of expensive stuff..... or at least that's what some people believe. I suggest you have a look at photo.net and see what people are doing with their cheap lenses. An image from the cheap canon 24-85 covered an entire page of the straits times. So how many full covers have you shot with your L lenses?

Yeah, somemore with the help of PS, things are made simplified. Full covers? I dun shoot for the press.

I think we have to look at the big picture, maybe your 300D is an isolated case, I am sure majority of the 300D don't have to be sent back to CSC or else CSC would be very busy and Canon may have to expand the service centre and their reputation tarnished. The chief engineer and the engineering team for the L lenses are stationed in Japan Utsunomiya factory, I am sure you'll feel more confident with those enigneers around to "supervise" the production of the lenses right. Though they may only do batch inspection for the more mass produced L lenses but for 500mm F4 and above, I am sure they are individually checked by these people. Don't expect me to pay $10k for a 500mm F4 that is made in China and not inspected by the actual lens design engineers.

I think we have to look at the big picture, maybe your 300D is an isolated case, I am sure majority of the 300D don't have to be sent back to CSC or else CSC would be very busy and Canon may have to expand the service centre and their reputation tarnished. The chief engineer and the engineering team for the L lenses are stationed in Japan Utsunomiya factory, I am sure you'll feel more confident with those enigneers around to "supervise" the production of the lenses right. Though they may only do batch inspection for the more mass produced L lenses but for 500mm F4 and above, I am sure they are individually checked by these people. Don't expect to pay $10k for a 500mm F4 that is made in China and not inspected by the actual lens design engineers.

Ya right... when something from Japan fails, its an isolated case. When something from China fails, its part of the statistics...

Ya right... when something from Japan fails, its an isolated case. When something from China fails, its part of the statistics...

Not really, some Made in China products are good like Benro tripods :D

kinda sad when people see things this way.

not bragging here, but i've got pictures printed on double page spreads on magazines; all done without expensive L lenses... =)

if you don't have your works published, then i guess your lenses give you other satisfaction? That "Made in Japan" tag is working really well I see.

Oh yes. I like its colour reproduction and quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.