How is the GF1? compared to Olympus..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achanth

Dec 12, 2005
www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com
I managed to try out the GF1 at Best Electronics...I must say the
i) AF focus was swift, faster then EP-1.
ii) Zoom was equivalent.
iii) Burst shots: fast, very good for this model.
iv) Flash: small and reach is not too far (? meters), but there it is for use...Oly forgot about this.
v) Image quality: difficult to gauge, but I have always liked Oly colors better.
vi)Noise: difficult to check, although from the LCD screen, not much noise.

I have bought and re sold Panasonic cameras (not the DSLR) because the noise problems, and color. Often display the image output on LCD TV and even my wife could discern the high noise pixelated image.

Now that the GF1 is out, could owners of this kindly post your photos? Many times, I have been misled by posts that said the Panasonic cam image is good...but wow, the noise and image colors were disappointing.

Still monitoring the cam until later part to ? use or ? to purchase.

Thanks.

I don't think it is fair to compare the GF1 againts Oly EP-1.

A better comparison would be again Oly EP-2 which apparently will be anounced at the end of Oct?

I'm also sitting between the fence with this one. U gain some u lose some. Waiting for month end announcement, if any, from Oly. If nothing from Oly i'm incline towards the Pana GF1.

Pancake lens, i like the 17mm focal length but quality wise, the Pana 20mm is more solid
Colour Oly is better OOC
IS Oly is built in but Pana is on lens
Flash Pana wins on this one, no doubt small power like P&S but nevertheless very useful

My wish is to see an articulated LCD screen with improve rez & a pop up flash in the next model. Hopefully also a tele zoom lens to make it more attractive. Perhaps a 40 - 120mm at F3.5 - 4.5 zoom? Macro wise maybe a 55mm or a 20mm (juz to spike Pana :bsmilie::bsmilie: )?

Last edited:
I don't think it is fair to compare the GF1 againts Oly EP-1.

A better comparison would be again Oly EP-2 which apparently will be anounced at the end of Oct?

I also dun think it's fair to compare a product against something that is not launched yet.

Why not compare EP-2 with GF2 then?

I also dun think it's fair to compare a product against something that is not launched yet.

Why not compare EP-2 with GF2 then?

Good answer :bsmilie:

With GF1 /EP2 release dates barely a month away, it can be argued both ways...

With GF1 /EP2 release dates barely a month away, it can be argued both ways...

By the time EP-2 gets announced end this mth (if it's true), and time to get avail on shelves, would be at least Dec08 or Jan09. Then it will be at least 4mths difference, which I think GF2 might be announced before IFA09....so there's no end to this.

might as well enjoy what's avail in the market now.

the best way to know which suits u is:
1) make a list of comparisons between the specs and highlighted features
2) arrange these list u made into order of importance (top as most impt)
3) see which camera has the most features u think its impt

don't worry about missing some features in your list. becoz if u missed them, most prob they are not impt to u.

always remember that there is no one camera on earth that will suit all ur wants. manufacturers goes out of business if they make such a camera. its abt compromise and make use of what is available.

DPR has the GF1 review up, with a section on real world GF1 - EP1 comparison.

Yes, the best camera for yourself is the one you feel most comfortable using it with.

No point lugging around the best gears in the market while you are not happy with or it's hurting your neck...

Use those that is within your limit,there is no ending, who make better camera or who produces better images.It is you ,yourself in the end to evaluate the toys you like the most.:bsmilie:

Looks like I'll have to wait a while to see what Olympus comes up with. I want the in-body IS of the Olympus and the fast AF of the Panasonic!

My hungry monster wanting to eat up my GF1 more than the oly

4006899847_dd13b5feab.jpg

:thumbsup:
Nice blackmail photo - good to show during that photo montage on wedding day :lovegrin:

Definately great to scare off her classmates too.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.