How is the failure rate of a typical flash you owned?

When and how often do you need to send in your camera to fix and repair?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
thinking of stepping the next step into the world of flash..... considering between 2nd hand vs. 1st hand, nikon SB600 or SB800, for indoor, outdoor event, nite festival, maybe wedding....

but seems to hear that flash is more likely than the lens and body to fail....

was thinking of getting SB800 if the power and consistency is better, but i'm not looking for more features. may consider getting from the states if the warranty is worldwide.

maybe top up with a garyfong LS 2 C1.

Is this poll about flash or camera? In the poll, the subject is: "When and how often do you need to send in your camera to fix and repair?". But your thread subject is: "How is the failure rate of a typical flash you owned?".

If it is about flash, here is my experience. All of four various Nikon speedlites that I own are still working very well to this date. I have been fortunate not having to send any of them to NSC. All of them were bought new except my oldest speedlight (it was passed down to me by my father). The oldest one is over 20 years old (from the early 1980's) and my newest one is the SB-800 (almost one year old). So overall I think Nikon speedlights are reliable.

No matter 1st to "5th" hand... equipment usage depends on individual users.

You can get a 2nd hand flash, but first user is a busy event photographer. where else, sometimes there may be 3rd hand flash but first 2 users are just hobbist/casual shooter.

One option is missing. That is "Never".

I never had a Nikon, only Olympus, Metz, Sunpak and Philips. After more than 20 (youngest) to 26 (oldest) years of use none of these ever failed to a degree that nedded service I could not provide. The only problems I had with two of these are caused by user stupidity, left bad batteries in them and they leaked. After cleaning the contacts the problems were fixed. None had ever died to unservicable degree.

Is this poll about flash or camera? In the poll, the subject is: "When and how often do you need to send in your camera to fix and repair?". But your thread subject is: "How is the failure rate of a typical flash you owned?".

If it is about flash, here is my experience. All of four various Nikon speedlites that I own are still working very well to this date. I have been fortunate not having to send any of them to NSC. All of them were bought new except my oldest speedlight (it was passed down to me by my father). The oldest one is over 20 years old (from the early 1980's) and my newest one is the SB-800 (almost one year old). So overall I think Nikon speedlights are reliable.

error, typo. will try to get mod to edit....

like to hear from the 3 who has their flash failed within half a year from purchase.....

How come don't have the "Never failed before" category? I had use over 3 brands, 5 flashes, overlapping each other in terms of age, but never failed before le...

How come don't have the "Never failed before" category? I had use over 3 brands, 5 flashes, overlapping each other in terms of age, but never failed before le...

i regard them as more than 3 years category....

anyway, pondering over getting a 2nd hand nikon SB600 + lightsphere cloud to try out the first step.

My 1 yr plus Sigma DG500 just failed during the chingay shoot.... :cry: Should send for repair or buy new 580ex mk2?

like to hear from the 3 who has their flash failed within half a year from purchase.....
my 5600HS-D fail within 1 month after use, change the board inside.

last year, the flash tube cracked (may be abuse too much) :sweat: , replaced.

it seems that failure rate is the highest either within a year or more than 3 years/never.....

Still strong after 1 year of own it. It is grey set...

Regards,
Arto.

BTW, flash is an item where user error can kill it quickly. You are NOT supposed to fire it often in quick succession as you can blow the bulb. This can explain why some people use a little the flash die, while others can last a long time.

Anyway I heard that even if the bulb never die, the strength of the flash will weaken... and flash is classified as a consumable.

My Sunpak TTL flash is at least 10 yrs old now, still gives me amazing shots

Status
Not open for further replies.