How is Pentax KX AF performance.

powergoo

Dec 13, 2005
Hi,

Juz wanna check how's the AF speed outdoor and especially indoor , lowlight situation.

Appreciate if you can based yr comment in comparision with other dslr / evil cam u hv used.

Also specify what lens was used since lens motor plays a part as well :)

thanks ltz.

appreciate it if you can disclose your purpose in asking the question. :)

Edit...

Removed everything after I checked TS.

TS, I think you can answer better than me :D :D

Last edited:
AF? It's moot. I use MF. :cool:

haha..some of u do due diligence checks...veri gd.

anyway i ditched my canon eos for a portable platform...went from e-p1, gf-1, the epl-1....
gf-1 is almost perfect except the awb is for very poor...iso so-so.
epl-1 af is so-so, in fact i had alot more keepers wif the gf1.

i dun know id nex is a gd one...i tot the KX can be another option...if i was to go back to dslr...i hv to make sure the AF is good......& pls dun tell me abt k-7...i m on a budget :)

tks.

haha..some of u do due diligence checks...veri gd.

anyway i ditched my canon eos for a portable platform...went from e-p1, gf-1, the epl-1....
gf-1 is almost perfect except the awb is for very poor...iso so-so.
epl-1 af is so-so, in fact i had alot more keepers wif the gf1.

i dun know id nex is a gd one...i tot the KX can be another option...if i was to go back to dslr...i hv to make sure the AF is good......& pls dun tell me abt k-7...i m on a budget :)

tks.

it still either nikon or canon for af..if u want consistently good af in low light..especially when af-tracking

it still either nikon or canon for af..if u want consistently good af in low light..especially when af-tracking

Agree, If AF speed and accuracy for lowlight situation is what TS after, perhaps Pentax not what you looking for.
If really want to get a Pentax, perhaps use a dedicated flash with AF assist?

what you check.. how come i check i cannot find anything..

i just see a lot of B&S

click on the last page and search from there la.. can see alot from there.. or click page 6 and 12 etc :bsmilie:

hi guys

don't want to blame with my almost to zero shooting skill, but my K-x AF is not good @ low light at all. Been there yesterday with my friends, try AF @ low light indoor, the camera can't find it. Then when I tried with MF, I also lost the AF point because it merged with the dark.

So, IMHO, K-x is good with AF in day light / enough light or manual focus.

However, like I said, with my near to zero shooting skill, I think manual focus will be much much better if u have split screen and magnifier viewfinder, which I am saving money to get them now...

hi guys

don't want to blame with my almost to zero shooting skill, but my K-x AF is not good @ low light at all. Been there yesterday with my friends, try AF @ low light indoor, the camera can't find it. Then when I tried with MF, I also lost the AF point because it merged with the dark.

However, like I said, with my near to zero shooting skill, I think manual focus will be much much better if u have split screen and magnifier viewfinder, which I am saving money to get them now...

Every camera will have problems focusing in low-light conditions ...
Even the th K-7 , that is you turn off the illuminating lamp (it can be quite irritating at times)

Unless thoes cameras with a IR af sensor and has a IR beam immiter ?

hi guys

I've tried the split screen (darken screen, did not work well for me).
The magnifier eyecup (help a bit).
Now I just rely on the Focus confirmation, Catch-In-Focus and Multi-Shorts.
MF 200mm...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705611
Fire 20 shots... 1 have to good :bsmilie:

Every camera will have problems focusing in low-light conditions ...
Even the th K-7 , that is you turn off the illuminating lamp (it can be quite irritating at times)

Unless thoes cameras with a IR af sensor and has a IR beam immiter ?

Maybe right, but with big gap or not, I can't confirmed. I tried my friend Canon 50D + FA 50 1.8 last night, AF absolutely fine image quality.

I've tried the split screen (darken screen, did not work well for me).
The magnifier eyecup (help a bit).
Now I just rely on the Focus confirmation, Catch-In-Focus and Multi-Shorts.
MF 200mm...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705611
Fire 20 shots... 1 have to good :bsmilie:

haha, same boat here. And my model turned out to hate me more, she have to keep posing for more than a min for a shot lol.

hi,

how about

1) in a darken room only with candles alit. will the KX able to focus on the candles? I know u need to pick subjects in low-light scenarios.

2) in a pub setting at bar counters.

Also, I dun mind just using single centre point AF.
In fact this is wat i used to do in lower light applications. Need a solid reliable single point AF...

hi,

how about

1) in a darken room only with candles alit. will the KX able to focus on the candles? I know u need to pick subjects in low-light scenarios.

#1 : is not a low contrast situation. The candle flame is bright vs a dark everything else. Its not hard to AF or MF for that.

#2 : Depends on the lighting at the counter. If is real dark, then a camera with AF assist lamp will be better

Just know that any camera will struggle with AF in low light. Many times its easier to go to MF and be decisive about pressing the shutter.

You want top end AF, you need to pay. From the few cameras I've handled, I'd say get a D300 class camera.

hi guys

Any camera will struggle to AF in a low light condition. You need to look out for the more contrasting stuff to focus on. The best it will be on the same plane of focus as your subject, at worse, it will be near to your subject to give enough sharpness. MF is the same, you need to be decisive if the subject does not wait. Look out for contrast and once it looks right, you can take the shot. I can type a lot of this, but you will need more practice to get familiar with how it looks, feels and how the camera responds. Don't wait for the AF confirmation either. It IS still AF only you become the motor, so it may not be as decisive in low light/low contrast conditions.

Lastly, don't have unrealistic expectations. Lit with normal lighting at night is not the same as dimly lit and dimly lit is not pitch black. The latter, maybe its really time to pack the camera in the bag. ;)

Last edited:
hi,

how about

with candles, should be no problem.

pub setting, is hit and miss, i would use MF and do focus bracketing.

ok, at least better than my previous epl-1...could hardly focus on the candlelight.