How important is family background in determining success in life?

10-30% weight

Your success, your life. They are there to support you when you're falling down.

Define "success"

For some people 99%, for others 1%. Average 33%.

usually, family background is responsible for your upbringing which determines your character/personality and this will open up the appropriate opportunities to one's success in life :) interesting question to ponder about haha

i have many color backgrounds......

Just my humble 2 cents...

It is important to a certain extent :bsmilie:

Family background, if you have a good one, is one of your assets in life. It's up to you on how to use it.

However, not everyone needs it to achieve success, and some who have it don't even use it.

This is one latest example.

After HK Chief Minister elect Leung Chun-ying's policeman father retired, his whole family worked for a plastic factory.

He didn't do well in From 5. He went to a local polytechnic to study surveying. After that he went to UK to study estate management working 3 days a week in a Chinese takeaway.

He was choked with tears in an election campaign speech when he mentioned how he helped his mother carried heavy bags of plastic goods when he was young.

Good family background means financial stability and networks, which can open doors to many opportunities.

People with good family background have more chances to success than others.

All people are equal, but some people are more equal than others due to their family background.

I learnt that in NS ( from those white horse )

Last edited:
Sometimes everything.

KimJongUnKimJongIl.jpg

There are other examples .. locally

if you born into a elite family, you have a few head-start then normal person.

it is like 'oh you are XXX son, I used to play golf with your daddy... ' instead of 'oh you are YYY son, I used to play marble with your daddy... '

Family backgrounds plays a part, but, not entirely.

I have friends who parents are rich, from school to NS. I can say, most of them are wasting theirs parents money and time. Buying and changing sports car, tuning, modifying. Fooling around with girls and clubbing. Studies wise, keep changing course and switching school, if not, fail and keep retaking the papers.

And I also have friends with complicated backgrounds, abusive fathers, gambler and so on. What are they now? Just started work and their salary range is 3k plus per month. Different people see success differently, to me, 3k might seems little, but in my eyes. They already succeeded in life.

Those rich kids with sports car and slutty looking gf fail IMO.

Of course if the kid were to want to go off tangent, family rich or poor he or she will go astray in their own ways.

However if you have someone who is conscientious and diligent, coming from a well off family esp with good network will definitely open more doors.

In the end .. 人比人气死人