How if 'soft feel' created in PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure of the correct term to use but i guess it's called soft focus. U know the kindof result where the picture looks soft and 'dreamy'? Can that be achieved in PS and how? Anyone please enlighten me?

add a new layer of the same photo on top of the original, then gaussian blur it abt 10 px for a 2048 by 1536 foto (or wateva u wish it wuld be), then change the opacity to about 25-75 percent.

for me, i normally blur 10 px then opacity abt 45%

kirayamato said:
add a new layer of the same photo on top of the original, then gaussian blur it abt 10 px for a 2048 by 1536 foto (or wateva u wish it wuld be), then change the opacity to about 25-75 percent.

for me, i normally blur 10 px then opacity abt 45%

Hi Kira,

Thanks a lot for ya response.

I encountered a few problems when i did as you instructed.

I created a new layer by pressing Shift+Ctrl+N.
I choose Filter >> Blur >> Gaussian Blur

A error message stating "Could not complete Gaussian Blur command because selected area is empty. What have i not done?

By the way, when i set the opacity, is it necessary to be done the moment i created the layer? Can i alter the opacity after the layer is created?

Regards,
Ordinaryless

ordinaryless said:
Hi Kira,

Thanks a lot for ya response.

I encountered a few problems when i did as you instructed.

I created a new layer by pressing Shift+Ctrl+N.
I choose Filter >> Blur >> Gaussian Blur

A error message stating "Could not complete Gaussian Blur command because selected area is empty. What have i not done?

Regards,
Ordinaryless
that's becos u made a new layer..

make a duplicate layer of the original instead, by dragging that layer (usually it's called background) to the "new layer" icon at the bottom of the layers palatte. the icon is like a sheet of paper with it's bottom left corner folded up.

u will now have two layers with the same thing, one called background and the other likely to be "background copy".

do ur blurring on the background copy. then u can "blend" it with the original layer by changing the opacity, or the blanding mode, try multiply or overlay.

also u can change the brightness of the new layer using levels (i would use a new adjustment layer, but then this is getting a bit cheem....) :sweat: :sweatsm:

Joho: Thanks alot for ya correction! OH man, i should have alter the original backgrd opacity instead of the new layer. Haha, no wonder i cant see the effect initially.

Here's a link to tutorial on soft focus in clubsnap..
http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/softfocus/softfocus.htm

The link is sent to me by Snipe!
Thanks Snipe for sharing with us! :)

ordinaryless said:
Joho: Thanks alot for ya correction! OH man, i should have alter the original backgrd opacity instead of the new layer. Haha, no wonder i cant see the effect initially.

Here's a link to tutorial on soft focus in clubsnap..
http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/softfocus/softfocus.htm

yeah there's that tutorial, shoulda pointed u there also eheh..

there's always more than one way to skin a cat, use whichever workflow u're comfortable with. ;)

ordinaryless said:

:embrass:
thank tommy gui... i know nuts abt PS. just happen to read the article before.

:bsmilie: :sweat: :bsmilie: :sweat:

ok zzz......

Status
Not open for further replies.