How I learned to enjoy Video

Benji John

May 4, 2020
Singapore
www.benjijohn.com
My interest in audio & video production started while I was performing as a singer & musician in Western Europe. I had an audio workstation that I used for recording music & composing jingles using all sorts of sequencers and eventually bought a 233 megahertz Mac, which had a floppy disk slot & a CD burner and 512Mb RAM,
was still working after 18 years. All jokes aside.
I could record my singing & musical instruments. Then I heard about FCP Version 1 & Adobe programs. While reading about these programs the idea of video caught me.
I was fascinated by video & motion graphics (AE) & PSD. I could only edit 10sec videos with my Mac. From there I progressed slowly to buying my first video camera using analog Hi 8 tape and started shooting holiday travel videos. Then I bought a converter called Hollywood Dazzle to transfer videos to my Silver Mac Tower Upgrade, 833 Mhz processor. I bought FCP Ver 1 & Photoshop. I was so thrilled and had so much creative fun. I also engaged myself in After Effects. I also worked briefly with a small Finnish TV company for a short while in Helsinki, Finland. From here I on, I slowly progressed to digital cameras using mini DV tapes, P2 cards & eventually SD cards. I also upgraded my Macs slowly. I now use an iMac, 3.8Ghz Intel Core i5 & a UX 90 Panasonic video camera. I have been doing corporate video now for about 16 years. I really enjoy it, but I agree with Bamboopictures that the customer is right. Really nobody likes to be told of their ignorance. But many a time I have had the chance to be creative. I also compose jingles when I have time. The video world is beautiful, but it can also be tedious. I have also had screw-ups. Just take in strides and all will be well. But there will always be fun projects to produce. Especially nowadays, there are plenty of template-based platforms to make work easier and faster.