How hard do you push yourself to be better in photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i seriously doubt spending much means u push yourself more. it only shows that u push ur bank balance more

wainism said:
i seriously doubt spending much means u push yourself more. it only shows that u push ur bank balance more

its like po fu cheng zhou... if you spent so much liao and you don't push yourself, can go jump

Sion said:
Think abt how u perceive and comprehend things.

Ur picture is a reflection of yourself.

i was once taught that, you really need to be your own best critic, be true to yourself and ask yourself, how many of your images can actually "make it".

touch your heart and ask yourself how come some images are so nice, and how can you make your images nicer than that.

to me, thats how much i push myself.

Always match yourself up to pictures you like ans ask yourself why the differences are there. I always set certain objectives for each shoot I do, such that I learn something new everytime.

For me, to improve/be better is to go back old skool. Shoot in/go back to film.

As a student, money is always a problem mainly due to film development/purchasing/blah blah. Every frame counts. Before shooting, I always think. Is it or is it NOT worth it. IMHO, this way, I believe it would help me improve. I would then be a photographer and not a trigger happy person.

Ofcourse I do have a digicam but thats mainly for snapshots. :)

I know of some who pushed themselves VERY HARD!

And pushed their bank accounts VERY HARD! (Latest! Best equipment!)

Pushing oneself (Passion and industry) is of course extremely important.

But if one do all the pushing in one's very own well, where can one go?

student said:

I think internet has opened up our well in a big way.

I am forever be reminded how well another photographer in another part of the world can produce an image in a way that I have never thought of.

Sion said:
I think internet has opened up our well in a big way.

I am forever be reminded how well another photographer in another part of the world can produce an image in a way that I have never thought of.

If one can look to the internet, then one is not in one's own well.

I think pushing yourself hard enough is sth that is very subjective and personal by nature. So how hard is hard? I think if you are passion driven to want to shoot everything and do it at your best is already pushing yourself to further your limits. You'll probably know you've improved when you look back at your old pics and think to yourself "Waa lau kena sai".:bsmilie:

Not sure if this applies to how the shifus ard here think. Care to shed some light on us noobs?

panzerpunk said:
It depends how much you spend also lor. More lenses, more skill!
funny. from a couple of D2 bodies and a few AF-S lenses, i am now shoot with only one F camera and one prime lens.

panzerpunk said:
It depends how much you spend also lor. More lenses, more skill! (more birds, more luck)
A slimmer bank account and wanking over lotsa equipment. :bsmilie:

student said:
well (pun), it could be a very big and deep well, for all we know.

it's not a matter of whose well it is, but whether are we able to recognise and acknowledge the restrictions of our own well? some are just oblivious, and some worse - in denial.

sometimes it's not always about thinking out of our own box, but questioning...what's in the box in the first place?

Stereobox said:
sometimes it's not always about thinking out of our own box, but questioning...what's in the box in the first place?

True...................

But I think the practical reality is that one who questions what is in that well/box will have looked outside anyway! One who questions will be highly unlikely to remain in his own well.

To one who does not question what is in his own well - it is like what Poh Yang (I hope I got his name spelt right!) termed something like the soya vat - fermenting within itself.

student said:
True...................

But I think the practical reality is that one who questions what is in that well/box will have looked outside anyway! One who questions will be highly unlikely to remain in his own well.

To one who does not question what is in his own well - it is like what Poh Yang (I hope I got his name spelt right!) termed something like the soya vat - fermenting within itself.
yes, you do have a point. one who recognises and acknowledges the limits of his/her own well will undoubtedly have an urge to climb and see beyond.

but there will always be the ignorant ("huh? got well?") and those who are in constant denial ("my well is big enough!"). and also those who think they can only seek enlightenment and fullfilment from the 'outside' when they have not look deeply enough within oneself yet ("the water from other wells taste better than mine")

*substitute well with 'pond' or other metaphor where needed* :bsmilie:

sometimes fermenting does bring good results...like wine! and fart! (ok, tastes vary and highly subjective)

Sion said:

Go to photo.net.

Click on "Top-Rated Photos".

Find a few pictures that really impress you. Tell yourself "i can do better." Proceed to do so (or at least try).

Status
Not open for further replies.