How good is your lens coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrum

Jun 22, 2003
Here
Visit site
Just wonder. Can any experts out there care to share how to see whether a lens coating is good/bad or average? Heard that if there's something like purple coating is the best like most of the Leica lenses. Is that true? Thanks in advance for sharing.:)

hmm wrong section... but just for kopitiam sake...

maybe u might wanna test spitting a saliva or pressing your oily thumb on it... den leave it there for 1 week, see if it will fade anot, if after a week you wipe, the stain disappear, means the coating is top notch...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hmm wrong section... but just for kopitiam sake...

maybe u might wanna test spitting a saliva or pressing your oily thumb on it... den leave it there for 1 week, see if it will fade anot, if after a week you wipe, the stain disappear, means the coating is top notch...

Don't tell me you did that before? If yes, you must have top notch lenses with you.

Spectrum said:
Don't tell me you did that before? If yes, you must have top notch lenses with you.

nah... i was about to when... there was a voice from above called out to me...

OEI... TELL SPECTRUM TO DO IT 1ST!!!

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
nah... i was about to when... there was a voice from above called out to me...

OEI... TELL SPECTRUM TO DO IT 1ST!!!

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Well, the voice from above told me not to do it? Hmmm......who heard the right thing anyway?:think:

If it takes good picture, then, it is good. :bsmilie:

One big role of the coating is to reduce flare and increase contrast. Do a test against flare.

Next - durability of the coating - can be affected by UV, IR rays and even the carbon dioxide in the air. And of course, public enemy No 1 - dust that brings about fungus - the poison to the coating.

Spectrum said:
Just wonder. Can any experts out there care to share how to see whether a lens coating is good/bad or average? Heard that if there's something like purple coating is the best like most of the Leica lenses. Is that true? Thanks in advance for sharing.:)

It's a load of bollocks actually. The colour of the lens coating has nothing to do with it's effectiveness nor does it make it good bad or average. A lenses coating is actually composed of a number of layers of different compounds and or elements and these vary from manufacturer to manufacturer due to various reasons such as the type of glass being eimployed in a lens element, the required and desired optical end result etc.

heard from "spectacles" shop that purple is good, followed by green for multi coating ;p that was several years ago....

Spectrum said:
Just wonder. Can any experts out there care to share how to see whether a lens coating is good/bad or average?

As the purpose of the coating is to reduce reflections, and without any reflections you wouldn't see it, it follows that the less you see of the lens surface/coating, the better it is.

Heard that if there's something like purple coating is the best like most of the Leica lenses. Is that true?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.