How good is 24-70mm f2.8 lens

addroger

Feb 6, 2010
Hi,

Was debating with my friend on the usage of te lens 24-70mm f2.8.

Generally, we discussed on lens sharpness in which as compared then against the following lens:-

1) 16-35mm f4VR
2) 28-300mm VR
3) 18-200mm VR
4) 24-120mm f4VR

In terms of the sharpness 24-70 is better or almost on par with the pro-series and on par with some other range. Added with Nano coating and f2,8 which give it the nitch against others.

Did we missing anything else? Physical properties ? The size and weight? Anything else?

Last edited:
Hi,

Generally, we discussed on lens sharpness in which as compared then against the following lens:-

1) 16-35mm f4VR
2) 28-300mm VR
3) 18-200mm VR
4) 24-120mm f4VR

In terms of the sharpness 24-70 is almost slightly or on par at least with the other range. Added with Nano coating and f2,8 which give it the nitch against others.

Did we missing anything else? Physical properties ? The size and weight? Anything else?

Sorry, I did not get your actual question. What are you trying to find out here?

In any products there is always a thing call 'Class' or 'Category' (mostly reflect on price as well!). The best from the lower category, may not necessary be any better than the worse from the upper category, of course there be certain things that users find better with the lower range and it's not surprising, performance? Hmmm.....very subjective as well....... like how do you compare a BMW 318, 320 and 325 with a 645?

There is little gain from asking others other than using it as an awareness and reference, when no one knows what you shoot and your style, best is still get hold of the lenses and whack it!

Last edited:
Comparing 24-70mm to the lens you stated in 2, 3 & 4 is like comparing Ferrari to a Honda... (Maybe not so bad for the 24-120 F/4)

24-70mm is one of the well known zoom trinity, it performs much better than those longer focal range zoom lens in terms of all expects except convenience.

It is very good.

24-70 f2.8 is the most ex, heaviest and has the best IQ, build quality among the listed lenses.

If you compare sharpness, it is like asking which is more comfortable? Levi's 501, 503, 505 or 508?

Built quality? It wins, period.

Usefulness? If a one day event, I think I can last for the first few hours. After that, old man like me, hands start to tremble. Low light, even wide open is not enough imo. I just switch to prime.

At 24mm, for a uwa junkie like me it is just ok ok and at the tele end, it is hard to get a good candid shot.

Price wise? My advise if you need it just get it at all cost.

If you compare sharpness, it is like asking which is more comfortable? Levi's 501, 503, 505 or 508?

Built quality? It wins, period.

Usefulness? If a one day event, I think I can last for the first few hours. After that, old man like me, hands start to tremble. Low light, even wide open is not enough imo. I just switch to prime.

At 24mm, for a uwa junkie like me it is just ok ok and at the tele end, it is hard to get a good candid shot.

Price wise? My advise if you need it just get it at all cost.

Was also contemplating to just get the 24mm for events.... this 24-70 weighs a ton with the D700.... but come to flexibilty of zoom... hmm.... cant have them all....

Btw, the Nikon 24-70mm..... loads of Bro tell me it is No Horse Run.... in terms of IQ and Price..... but TS better go try out yourself and see if you like....

Never tried a 24-70mm before but I never heard of anyone saying it is bad...

I think it must be really good. If not, how can it become one of the Holy Trinity?

Hi,

1) 16-35mm f4VR
2) 28-300mm VR
3) 18-200mm VR
4) 24-120mm f4VR

In terms of the sharpness 24-70 is almost slightly or on par at least with the other range. Added with Nano coating and f2,8 which give it the nitch against others.

Many of us have not recovered from your question... First time we heard that the 24-70 is only "almost on par" with the others on your list in terms of sharpness.

Anyway, to answer your question, sure, there are many other properties besides "sharpness", including bokeh, max aperture, distortion, colour response, resistance to flare, CA, focusing accuracy and speed, weight, build quality, etc. In all of these aspects -- apart from weight -- the general consensus is that the 24-70 is better. :)

Many of us have not recovered from your question... First time we heard that the 24-70 is only "almost on par" with the others on your list in terms of sharpness.

Anyway, to answer your question, sure, there are many other properties besides "sharpness", including bokeh, max aperture, distortion, colour response, resistance to flare, CA, focusing accuracy and speed, weight, build quality, etc. In all of these aspects -- apart from weight -- the general consensus is that the 24-70 is better. :)

...and no VR! :blah:

if you are a pro,
just get the 24-70f2.8 and get over it,
don't waste time looking for alternative, there is none.
unless weight and cost is an issue.

if you are a pro,
just get the 24-70f2.8 and get over it,
don't waste time looking for alternative, there is none.
unless weight and cost is an issue.

Simple answer. To add on, for serious enthusiasts/hobby too.

24-70 period.. i got it with no regrets, got used to carrying it whole day now.

never regretted getting one, worth the money.
ever since i got this lens it's been attached to my camera since.

Nikon 24-70 is a very sharp lens. Carrying it around one whole day = "A good work out at the gym."
helps me save on the gym membership fee.... lol. tts y i love my 24-70

Last edited:
Get 1 if you really like it.. like the focal range.. like the build..is ok with the price..weight and size. Sharpness is there.. no doubt about it.

Damp good but think only me got this problem. My focus dun work just a while ago. Just my luck. Dun knw how much it cost to repair.