How good are Carl Zeiss Lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppie

Aug 13, 2009
Hi guys,

Like to ask a general question, would you guys pay more to get a Carl Zeiss Zoom Lens over a Fixed Aperture F2.8 Lens?

I am thinking of replacing my Kit lens on my Alpha with either
- Carl Zeiss 16-80mm F/3.5-4.5
OR
- Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Still can't decide which one to get, i am afraid i might miss the Fixed aperture all range if i gotten the Carl Zeiss lens.

Get the CZ 16-80mm if you can afford it.

The sharpness, contrast, color and CA control are pretty good.

Anyway, I think it's better to post this in the Sony sub forum.

Get the CZ 16-80mm if you can afford it.

The sharpness, contrast, color and CA control are pretty good.

Anyway, I think it's better to post this in the Sony sub forum.

posted already, just wanna seek general advice from other brands user.

You can compare the 2 lens on these websites,

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-...mm-f35-45-dt--sony-alpha--review--test-report

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/386-tamron_1750_28_sony

Sharpness wise, Tamron is comparable to CZ from f/4 onward, but lose out in zoom length.

CZ last time I head may have QC issue (when it first launch), now may no longer an issue. Tamron focusing sometime may not be accurate when object is 2~3 meter away and shoot a wide angle.

anyone have experience with Tamron at F2.8 to 4? is the sharpness really not so good?

Go see my post in hardwarezone's dslr forum. I did a simple sharpness test of cz 16-80 vs tamron 17-50.

I was in the same position as you just about a week back.

I considering either the CZ or Tamron or the SAL16105 as an upgrade from my kit lens.

I went with the 16105 and I am extremely contented.

I do not want to influence you on which lens to buy, but just want to share with you my experiences.

I considered the 16105 because I needed the extra range.
I considered tamron because I needed the constant 2.8 for portraits, bokeh & flexibility
I considered the CZ because of the quality and reviews I read, though quite similar to 16105.

I chose 16105 in the end because, if I could substitute the tanrom for portraits with the 50mm1.8 prime; and I feel that the tamron range of 17-50 is quite restricting.
CZ was way over priced for me. Moreover, I had a really good deal for the 16105.

My advice to you is think of what you need for what you are shooting. You won't go wrong with either ;).

Users of other brands doesn't have AF CZ 16-80mm, so how to advise you leh? Anyway like the other bros who have mentioned in this thread, the Tamron 17-50mm, CZ 16-80mm or Sony 16-105mm are all good lenses. Just ask yourself if you are willing to forgo the constant f2.8 for a lens with a longer range and sharper images.

Personally I have the Tamron 17-50mm and the 16-105mm and I tend to use the 16-105mm more than the Tamron.

That's like asking Honda and Toyota owners if the Lancer Ralliart is better than the Evo. They can't give actual hands-on info, they'd just anyhow give advice.

having both the tamron and CZ, i can tell u that they both serve different purpose.

The CZ is sharper but has a slower aperture. If you always shoot at f8 or smaller aperture, then the CZ will be the better lens as its sharper. But if u shoot at f5.6 and below, then the tamron will be better.

So it really depends on your usage and what aperture u are using the lens for.

BTW asking this topic here is rather inappropriate. Since only Alpha users can use AF CZ lenses, u are seeking the opinion of other brands' users, who has not use this lens at all? Then how are they going to answer you?

Last edited:
oops.......sorry, i thought last time Carl Zeiss did have lens for other makes.

oops.......sorry, i thought last time Carl Zeiss did have lens for other makes.

Totally different design, different build, not AF, and no 16-80.

Status
Not open for further replies.