How for a Street Photography Camera?

sougen

Dec 6, 2008
Across the Causeway
I owned a DSLR, and while the temptation to upgrade to a top-of-the-line APS-C/full frame camera body is there, I am more interested in getting a compact/rangefinder-like camera.

After lurking around the Street and Candid section, I took a more direct interest in the field. I was looking around the Internet for some inspiration, and for a while, I tried snapping with my large, lower-strata camera for some ad-hoc street photography. It feels obtrusive and cumbersome.

So now I'm looking at the various prosumer compact/rangefinder-like cameras out there.

One of my friends recommended the Olympus PEN E-P2 or E-PL1 for its range of M4/3 lens lineup and EVF capabilities. Out of the various lines of M4/3 cameras, Olympus is still taking the lead, although I could counter that the Panasonic DMC-GF1 is not a . I still need convincing against the cameras.

Once again, Sony delivered us with their NEX-3/5 cameras. APS-C-sized sensors, an EVIL-like system and articulated LCD (waist-level photography FTW!) means I am spoilt towards this side of the camera system.

And of course, we couldn't forget those prosumer cameras: the Canon G11 or Powershot S90, Panasonic Lumix LX-3 (and I never thought they also make the DMC-L1 and LC1!) and other compacts I never thought of here. (RIcoh GR camera, maybe?)

I'm not one to shy away from the film/antique rangefinder cameras. Lately, I have seen recommendations for a Voightlander Bessa (albeit antique-like) or the Yashica lines. Confused by the lens mount though.

Not really asking which is the best, but more of what's the appeal of different camara/systems.

there are people who use a simple p&s to achieve wonders.

so it depends on you, the amount of responsiveness you need, the level of low light capabilities.

I owned a DSLR, and while the temptation to upgrade to a top-of-the-line APS-C/full frame camera body is there, I am more interested in getting a compact/rangefinder-like camera.

After lurking around the Street and Candid section, I took a more direct interest in the field. I was looking around the Internet for some inspiration, and for a while, I tried snapping with my large, lower-strata camera for some ad-hoc street photography. It feels obtrusive and cumbersome.

So now I'm looking at the various prosumer compact/rangefinder-like cameras out there.

One of my friends recommended the Olympus PEN E-P2 or E-PL1 for its range of M4/3 lens lineup and EVF capabilities. Out of the various lines of M4/3 cameras, Olympus is still taking the lead, although I could counter that the Panasonic DMC-GF1 is not a . I still need convincing against the cameras.

Once again, Sony delivered us with their NEX-3/5 cameras. APS-C-sized sensors, an EVIL-like system and articulated LCD (waist-level photography FTW!) means I am spoilt towards this side of the camera system.

And of course, we couldn't forget those prosumer cameras: the Canon G11 or Powershot S90, Panasonic Lumix LX-3 (and I never thought they also make the DMC-L1 and LC1!) and other compacts I never thought of here. (RIcoh GR camera, maybe?)

I'm not one to shy away from the film/antique rangefinder cameras. Lately, I have seen recommendations for a Voightlander Bessa (albeit antique-like) or the Yashica lines. Confused by the lens mount though.

Not really asking which is the best, but more of what's the appeal of different camara/systems.

Lol. Seems like it only feels so if you think it is so. (unless the camera really is very obvious and causing you to miss shots or suffer aggression)
The Street and Candid section has a lot of good shots taken with very normal sized DSLR as well.

If you just don't feel good about using your current camera for the purpose and want to feed the LBA, then just go ahead with what you like :)
No need to justify one :devil: :bsmilie:

actually u can still use a DSLR... just get a telephoto lens then camp somewhere... it works! :bsmilie: